Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Ulfberht

Old November 22nd, 2016, 11:37 AM
First I wanted to say how much I absolutely love Hero Labs. I haven't posted before but I have been using HL for awhile now.

HL is a great system but one of my main concerns is the User Interface. The application looks like it was made in the early 2000's and could use a nice new interface. Realm Works for example has a beautiful face and I would love to get something going for HL.

On top of a more appealing interface I also think it would be good to have an "In Play Mode" with a better view for when you aren't designing the characters and more for when you are playing in game. Something that is also touch friendly. So many computers anymore have touch screens and it would be nice to have those options like the iPad app. Touch friendly buttons and maybe portrait mode.

If this isn't in the works would it be possible to get the source so I could design my own UI?
Ulfberht is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:01 AM
We do indeed have something "in the works" for this - we're not far enough along to announce anything yet, but we definitely want to update the UI, make it friendlier for touch screens, different sizes of screen (like portrait mode), etc. Keep an eye on our social media and monthly newsletter - when we have something to show, we'll post it there. :-)
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:32 AM
Given the tools already provided by LWD, you can design your own interface.

You'll need the Authoring Kit if you don't already own it.

Though you probably can't change it as much as you'd like.

You can change the color, layout and others.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Ulfberht

Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We do indeed have something "in the works" for this - we're not far enough along to announce anything yet, but we definitely want to update the UI, make it friendlier for touch screens, different sizes of screen (like portrait mode), etc. Keep an eye on our social media and monthly newsletter - when we have something to show, we'll post it there. :-)
That is the best news I've had in awhile.

Thanks!
Ulfberht is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:16 PM
Android
Android
Android
Android

I'll grovel and beg if required.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ulfberht

Old November 23rd, 2016, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Android
Android
Android
Android

Android would be nice but that doesn't help the people with Microsoft surface or people that use their laptops. A new UI would probably be much easier than an entirely new app.

Hopefully both in time!
Ulfberht is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 23rd, 2016, 03:43 PM
One has the potential to significantly expand the player base however bringing in more funds to build all the things

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old November 24th, 2016, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Where can I stand in line to be a beta tester? 😎

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 25th, 2016, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Android
Android
Android
Android

Or burn them to death, with the current crop of android pieces of crap lol.

(was meant to be a joke btw.)

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 17th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I wholeheartily support the OP!

I just bought HL today and as a RW user I have to say: not only does it looks dated, how things work in HL are confusing as !@#$!

Just a few things I stumbled about in the first hour of using it:
- Why does it even show me updates that are already installed? I installed the HL main update like 5 times until I found a youtube video (thanks chiefweasel!) that told me I only need look out for the red !
- Where in HL can I see which books I own? I bought the rulebook package and the bestiaries and went through license update thing. So appearently I'm fine, but I don't really find a list of what I own.
- Why am I greeted with char creation everytime? I'm a noob, but I assume most of the time you don't want to create a new char, but edit one or even create other stuff (especially as GM)
- In the dashboard it took me a while to realize I have to click on the targeting thingy to activate a character instead of just clicking on the name
- And why is there no button to remove a char from the portfolio? Why the need to go to the menu?

This are just the things I can think of on top of my head from the first hour of using the tool! I'm am willing to learn and will consult youtube tutorials for that, but for many users the learning curve will be too steep and they will not buy after having seen the demo, I fear.
So a better User Interface will not only make the lives of existing users easier, but also lower the bar for new ones.

I don't mean to be rude, just want to give honest feedback. You're products are great overall!

PS: If you need a beta tester for the new UI, that isn't set in his ways yet, hit me up!

PPS: You might want to add a "legacy style" option, when designing the new UI as longtime users of any given software are usually no big fans of change ;-)

Last edited by rob; January 17th, 2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Language
Merion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote