Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
So the only way to synch databases is from the cloud? There is no way to synch with a non cloud connection?
There are two ways to transfer data between two machines. You can sync them or perform a backup and restore.

Syncing requires the cloud. Syncing entails intelligently detecting and copying only the data that has changed since the last sync. When players are involved, syncing also entails identifying the content that has been revealed and only copying that data across.

If you want, you can instead perform a backup of everything and then restore it onto another computer. That's not a sync, it's a full copy, and it will be a time-consuming process once your database becomes large. After the restore, the entire database must be scanned to re-generate the full-text search index, which takes time to complete - more time as the database grows.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There are two ways to transfer data between two machines. You can sync them or perform a backup and restore.

Syncing requires the cloud. Syncing entails intelligently detecting and copying only the data that has changed since the last sync. When players are involved, syncing also entails identifying the content that has been revealed and only copying that data across.

If you want, you can instead perform a backup of everything and then restore it onto another computer. That's not a sync, it's a full copy, and it will be a time-consuming process once your database becomes large. After the restore, the entire database must be scanned to re-generate the full-text search index, which takes time to complete - more time as the database grows.

Hope this helps!
It does, thanks.
mirtos is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:18 PM
Quote:
As far as support, a simple server wouldnt require much at all. Sorry, but I have to bring up Maptools as an example. Every DM that uses Maptools starts it in server mode.
I won't dispute that every DM using Maptools starts it in server mode. However, I also see a very extensive array of posts across the internet proclaiming that Maptools has a very steep learning curve and that it can be very difficult to setup and configure. This tells me that it's widespread adoption is severely limited. The same fate would befall Realm Works if we were to go that route.

Let's compare Maptools to Roll20. The latter is not as full-featured as Maptools. However, it's much more widely adopted. This is because it's vastly easier to use, and the majority of users out there want something that "just works" instead of something they have to spend precious time tinkering with and learning.

With Maptools, another key distinction is that it's an open source project, so there is no expectation of being paid by the programmers involved. That's not the case with our staff, so we have to be mindful of these differences with how we approach the product's design. We need to keep it as simple as possible and automate as much as possible for the user in order to maximize the potential for its adoption. In doing that, we have a different set of priorities from a project like Maptools, which will result in some fundamental differences between how the two tools are intended to work.
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The one question in my post that you never actually got to answer was the expected release date of the cloud (at least from a synching point). That might change my level. Was I correct in April? (I have that in my head)
mirtos is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Quote:
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The one question in my post that you never actually got to answer was the expected release date of the cloud (at least from a synching point). That might change my level. Was I correct in April? (I have that in my head)
Sorry for missing that question. I'm exhausted from this Kickstarter and very bleary-eyed.

There are no releases planned for April, so I'm not sure where that date came from. We'll be bringing the new Beta team members on in March, and they will be receiving an ongoing stream of new updates as new features are incorporated. The next release to backers will be at the end of May, when the "early access" release will come out. The cloud should be limping by that time, but it will not be fully implemented yet. Then there will be the official public release at the end of July, at which point the cloud should be working well.

Unless you grab one of the few remaining Howl at the Moon slots, you'll either be receiving the "early access" release with limited cloud support or the official public release.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 24th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Ive actually had the the Howl at the moon spots for a while (I think i was #3), Based on what i understand now, and the setup of my group and what I would use RealmsWorks for, RealmsWorks wont be useful to me until the cloud is setup. Thats the reason for my question.

Last edited by mirtos; February 24th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
mirtos is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Based on what i understand now, and the setup of my group, RealmsWorks wont be useful to me until the cloud is setup. Thats the reason for my question.
Yes, I believe it was supposed to be "expected to be April" for release of cloud to Beta Testers. However, as with all things that involve software... dates might change.

But it won't really be a "release". It will be one of those incremental changes that beta testers have to "suffer" through? One day... no cloud... the next... an email with a URL and login credentials... and then a week of nothing quite working.

I'm excited about the cloud support... but I'm curious to see how that will work with beta testers. After all, my players won't be beta testers... but I want them to be able to login and see my data.

Rob, how will that work for beta testers?
Thrantor is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM
I'm on a same boat with Thrantor. I fully understand that beta testers have to suffer and it wasnt a release. I should have said "when will the cloud be available for use to beta testers". I just wasnt aware until now (perhaps due to my own misunderstandings) that for my group needs i will be depending on the cloud. This was the reasoning for my questions.
mirtos is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Quote:
That might change my level.
Mirtos, I'd recommend just keeping your level. That way you have the time in between to set things up and get your current campaign in RW.

I know there will be a learning curve and better to have everything in the software and ready to go when cloud arrives than suddenly get access to everything at once and THEN have to enter it all into realm works.
Thrantor is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
I respectfully disagree that it would be untenable and that there would even be support needed for local servers. Or that it would take away from what you provide with the cloud. The cloud as you've pointed out offers a lot more than just storage. Im simply pointing out that there should be a way of synching data between DMs and Players if not using a cloud. The server/client was just a simple approach. The cloud offers a lot more (including backing up of data). As far as support, a simple server wouldnt require much at all. Sorry, but I have to bring up Maptools as an example. Every DM that uses Maptools starts it in server mode.

I just wasnt aware of the fact that some features are dependent on the cloud and internet connections.

From what I've read the product wont have cloud until around April, is that correct?

Thanks for the info.
We use maptools, but we don't run a maptools server, we use one of the publically available ones. The DM uses DM mode to provide updates, the players use player mode to receive them, which is pretty much equal to using a cloud service. In maptools case it's free, but if I were using something like D20Pro for the same thing it wouldn't be.

I'm expecting that we'll be using the product as soon as we can get our hands on it to enter our campaign data, and using the separate player window on a second screen to display that information to the players. I realize if your players are remotely located, this may be an issue. Perhaps a secondary screen sharing application to display the player screen until the cloud is available?

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #30 Reply With Quote