Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

asw122

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
Wow! I picked a heck of a night to go to bed early! Oh well, it sounds like I may not have been able to do anything about it anyway (server problems and such).

Anyway, I got my copy! The program's installed and I'm ready to learn! Woot!

EDIT: Ouch. Also time to re-learn campaign cartographer. Not looking forward to that one.
I hear that on all counts (though for me its get and learn cartographer). I usually come home from my MTG draft on wednesday night and potter on the laptop for a couple of hours. Last night I was tired, so I just went to bed. Typical.
asw122 is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old March 27th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw122 View Post
I hear that on all counts (though for me its get and learn cartographer).
It sounds like you've likely researched it already, but in case you want my two cents' worth...

Campaign Cartographer is great software (no, it really is)...but it's "professional" type software. There are a million keyboard shortcuts, context menus, menu bars, buttons (which also have their own context menus), etc. The design isn't the least bit intuitive. If you want something that's easy, look elsewhere. If you're willing to put in the time, CC will make you some excellent maps. Further complicating matters, I got the triple-pack with city and dungeon builders too. It's just A LOT to take in...and that's coming from someone who likes learning new things.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; March 27th, 2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Clarity of subject - didn't want people to think I meant Realm Works
JackOfAllGames is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
asw122

Old March 27th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllGames View Post
It sounds like you've likely researched it already, but in case you want my two cents' worth...

Campaign Cartographer is great software (no, it really is)...but it's "professional" type software. There are a million keyboard shortcuts, context menus, menu bars, buttons (which also have their own context menus), etc. The design isn't the least bit intuitive. If you want something that's easy, look elsewhere. If you're willing to put in the time, CC will make you some excellent maps. Further complicating matters, I got the triple-pack with city and dungeon builders too. It's just A LOT to take in...and that's coming from someone who likes learning new things.
Yeah, that was the takeaway from most of my research. For now, I'm gonna get the info for my setting into RW, then worry about mapping it (as the setting is mostly in a city which would cover a good 40% of the earth) later.
asw122 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Kell Valar

Old March 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I'm no fan of Campaign Cartographer.
Learn Photoshop or Gimp instead. You have more from it in the long run.

CC is pricy and hard to learn, in that time you could learn much more stuff about the Gimp/Photoshop.

And it is no secret that nearly all good/great mappers use Photoshop and not CC.
Kell Valar is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 27th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Well, CC is not an art program. However, i wouldnt disagree that you can do more with photoshop, but actually if you're going to go that route, you can probably do more with illustrator.

Still, I dont think CC is as hard to use as people claim. In fact there are many "great mappers" that use both for different purposes.

If you want to read more about both, I would suggest some of the forums in cartographersguild.com (which is not associated with any program)

Last edited by mirtos; March 27th, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
mirtos is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Nostromos

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I actually use both for my maps. CC has some good purposes and ease of use for things, as does Photoshop. I even know people that take maps from one and pull them into the other because they do different things.
Nostromos is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM
The problem I've had with CC and every other piece of software that has the ability to drag and drop objects is that the placement is not consistent between zoom levels. If I zoom in close to get an exact placement of something, then zoom out, I'll see it offset.

If I fix it in the wide view, then zoom back in, it's offset the other way.
EightBitz is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Hmmm, I havent. And i used CC to generate maps at all sorts of different zoom levels.

What version of CC are you using?
mirtos is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 28th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I'm a big fan of CC myself - I've used it for years, and though there is a learning curve I didn't find it at all steep for getting started. Of course, the more you want to do, the more there is to learn .

I also use Photoshop, usually for just a few finishing touches.

I haven't had problems with objects appearing displaced at different zoom levels either.

I'll second the recommendation to check out cartographersguild.com. Very friendly, helpful folks over there, and tons of good advice.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old March 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I haven't gotten my verification email yet (just bought the product).

Hit refresh a bunch of times, tried logging into the program to force a resend, couldn't find the option to do so.

Any tips?
Pollution is offline   #30 Reply With Quote