Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Basilforth

Send a message via Yahoo to Basilforth

Old March 9th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Nothing has been finalized yet. The current thinking for the Bestiary is $10-15, while the Advanced Player's Guide will be $10-20 (as Dartnet predicted). This ultimately depends on exactly how much time is spent writing the data files versus how many units we anticipate selling - there's a lot of work involved in adding all this material. The Advanced Player's Guide is more uncertain than the Bestiary, since we don't yet know how much material is involved and have no way to gauge how much work will be entailed.
I am willing to pay for both updates at the price ranges you indicate. The product is fun/useful and your customer service is excellent.

Faster, please. (to copy Instapundit)
Basilforth is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old March 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah 10 bucks for the Bestiary is not to bad
Virtue is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Micco

Old March 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm in for both (if it helps you predict purchases and set a lower price, even better!)

Seriously, maybe you should do a poll to help you with that sales guesstimate so that you can set prices appropriately.
Micco is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Or even do pre orders then if you get enough pre orders maybe we can get it at a cheaper price or if you pre order its at a cheaper price
(cause i know i will pre order both)
Virtue is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I'm good for both the Bestiary and the Advanced Player's Guide. The quoted prices seem very reasonable to me. I just don't have the time to do the work myself.
FifthWanderer is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
Or even do pre orders then if you get enough pre orders maybe we can get it at a cheaper price or if you pre order its at a cheaper price
(cause i know i will pre order both)
We view pre-orders as something that we're not in a position to do successfully right now. Pre-orders represent a potential customer relations issue that we don't want to risk right now. Even though we've been around for 16 years, we're still a tiny company. When you accept pre-orders, you establish an expectation by the customer that you'll deliver what's been paid for within a "reasonable" timeframe.

Here's where it gets difficult, though. Everyone has a different definition of "reasonable", and there are customers out there who will widely and publicly decry someone of "ripping them off" if the company doesn't satisfy their definition of "reasonable". This creates a great deal of pressure on the company to promise concrete dates and release something *on* that date, even if the release is premature (i.e. buggy or incomplete). I'm sure you've all seen many examples of this with computer games and other software.

Because we're tiny and we strive for high quality in what we release, our release dates are targets we're pushing for, but they are not concrete. External factors can (and often do) arise that derail progress temporarily or we could run into technical issues (or simply unexpected bugs) that take longer to solve properly. Either way, it's a definite reality that we could miss a release date, which is why we try not to quote dates when we can avoid it.

Our goal is to keep customers happy and spreading the word about our products. The best way to do that is to produce a high quality product and avoid establishing expectations that we can't deliver on. Consequently, we don't believe pre-orders to be prudent right now. While we'd love to do them in principle, they just don't make good sense for us at the moment.

Hope this explanation makes sense....
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
stormraven

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
We view pre-orders as something that we're not in a position to do successfully right now. Pre-orders represent a potential customer relations issue that we don't want to risk right now. Even though we've been around for 16 years, we're still a tiny company. When you accept pre-orders, you establish an expectation by the customer that you'll deliver what's been paid for within a "reasonable" timeframe.

Here's where it gets difficult, though. Everyone has a different definition of "reasonable", and there are customers out there who will widely and publicly decry someone of "ripping them off" if the company doesn't satisfy their definition of "reasonable". This creates a great deal of pressure on the company to promise concrete dates and release something *on* that date, even if the release is premature (i.e. buggy or incomplete). I'm sure you've all seen many examples of this with computer games and other software.

Because we're tiny and we strive for high quality in what we release, our release dates are targets we're pushing for, but they are not concrete. External factors can (and often do) arise that derail progress temporarily or we could run into technical issues (or simply unexpected bugs) that take longer to solve properly. Either way, it's a definite reality that we could miss a release date, which is why we try not to quote dates when we can avoid it.

Our goal is to keep customers happy and spreading the word about our products. The best way to do that is to produce a high quality product and avoid establishing expectations that we can't deliver on. Consequently, we don't believe pre-orders to be prudent right now. While we'd love to do them in principle, they just don't make good sense for us at the moment.

Hi, Rob. Yep, that makes sense to me... but that could be because I'm in the high tech, client-facing, deliver-or-die sphere. Under-promise and over-deliver is the safest way to do business. FWIW - thank you for explaining your business rationale. It's great to see candor in a field where most companies opt for the "we can't do it and we can't tell you why" answer.

At the risk of getting you to commit to a date... how is HL 3.6 coming? Still on track for release at some point this week?
stormraven is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 11th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:

It dose there are other of companies that do character creators that only produce new stuff when they get so many pre-orders and that leads to having to put money down and then waiting for sometimes years for a data file. I like your way better.
dartnet is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Virtue

Old March 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah that makes sense I was just trying to let you know how many sales you have so you can price accordingly
Virtue is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
jerhien

Old March 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hiya folks, new user here, just wondering if there was any update to the release of the Advanced Players Guide Playtest Classes (Are we getting them this week, basically..if not that's fine of course, just checking). I started stat-ing in Alchemist but I was making slow progress and I figured if it's coming in the near future I'd let you folks do what you do best... great product by the way
jerhien is offline   #30 Reply With Quote