Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yes you can get your .user files over to the HL iPad app. I am running my Shadow d20 house rules package which is like 30+ .user files.

What I am finding out is that you can't install .user files directly. You can install a .hl file and the app recognizes the .hl file just like it does .por files. So this means if you use any of the "Community" powered by stuff you just setup the URL again and download and away you go. To setup the URL its located in the "View Updates" section of the app when you first start in the top right corner.

For your own stuff you will have to package up the files using "Tools->HLExport" and then put the .hl file into dropbox, website, or email yourself. Guess that video to make a .hl file is even more important for me to get around too then it was before. Overall its pretty easy to make a .hl file if you are not doing anything fancy with it. Their is help inside of HL on making one also.

I am sad to hear it does not support iPad1 as that is what my GF has and she really wanted to use it during play. So very sad about that but I can understand issues running on older hardware and software....

My only thing I have found is the "constant" save of the .por file every 20-30 seconds. While saving it locks everything and I can't seem to find away yet to make it STOP doing that!

I have only had about 10 minutes last night to play with the App but wanted to share what I have found so far.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; April 8th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
ah, that sounds good. seems i have to learn how to create .hl files...
wurzel is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonladytoo View Post
So, the initial 'player' download is free.

And once you get it to edit, then its the simple cost of a license (free if its your second one for an existing, and $10 for each one after that - your laptop/ipad/etc)

Thanx
This is incorrect. The current "play sheet" version of Hero Lab is free on the iPad, and doesn't use one of your Hero Lab licenses. Anyone can use it, as long as they have characters that were created using Hero Lab on their desktop or laptop.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOrc View Post
Shame it requires iOS 6. My iPad is still running iOS 5 - original iPad.

If I need to get a new tablet it won't be an iPad but an Android :/
Unfortunately the original iPad doesn't have enough memory to run Hero Lab without crashing right now.

We're hoping to be able to make this work in the future, but there's so much data available for Pathfinder characters that it's a big challenge. We'll let everyone know if we can find a solution to this.
Colen is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
Good on the French store !

But i have already 2 requests ...
1- How to manage sneak attack damage (i am a rogue/knife master) ?
In a futur release it will be great to have in the weapon roll list an item "Sneak Damage" ...
2- Import from email is a good idear !!!! but i did'nt find how to export portfolio by email from the application ( and not only stat )

thanks to lone wolf for the job !
1) This isn't currently available, but I've added it to our to-do list. Good idea!

2) This is something we'll be adding in a future update, along with the ability to delete characters, move characters around, dropbox support, etc.
Colen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholz View Post
Will this only run Pathfinder, or any HeroLab?
We're currently only supporting Pathfinder on the iPad.
Colen is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhops View Post
How do you delete portfolios?
You can delete files from the "File Sharing" section of iTunes when your iPad is sync'd. This is something we'll be improving in a future update.
Colen is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:03 AM
You've finally given me a justifiable reason to get an ipad... aside from books stored on it...
RavenX is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
For your own stuff you will have to package up the files using "Tools->HLExport" and then put the .hl file into dropbox, website, or email yourself. Guess that video to make a .hl file is even more important for me to get around too then it was before. Overall its pretty easy to make a .hl file if you are not doing anything fancy with it. Their is help inside of HL on making one also.
I'm planning to release some documentation on this in the next day or two, since it's different from how Hero Lab works on the desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
My only thing I have found is the "constant" save of the .por file every 20-30 seconds. While saving it locks everything and I can't seem to find away yet to make it STOP doing that!
We're looking into ways to make the auto-save less intrusive.
Colen is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Well, even some newer ipads - not everyone upgrades constantly. My ipad is an ipad2 (hardly "new", but not exactly old either), and it could certainly support 6.1, but ive chosen not to upgrade. sometimes apples upgrades make things worse, and when i find myself in a situation im happy with, i only upgrade when neccesarry. i am curious, what features of 6.1 were required for this? or is this an apple thing that they force new developers to use the latest IOS? (that wouldnt surprise me)
iOS 6 has some really nice stuff (like the UICollectionView) that would be awesome to use, and just supporting version 6 makes it easier for us to make sure everything works correctly, rather than having to retest everything on iOS 5 as well.

We're not ruling out supporting iOS 5 in the future, but starting off with 6 makes things easier for us in a lot of ways.
Colen is offline   #30 Reply With Quote