Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chiefweasel

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I am having issues trying to activate the authoring kit. I got through the process, then when it tells me to restart, I do so, but I am still in demo mode. any ideas? Thanks.
chiefweasel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
There are a couple of things that could be stuffing up the activation logic. The most common one is when you have some sort of security software (or Vista) blocking the software from completing the process. As a work-around, try using the "manual" license activation logic, which is a separate option on the License menu.

There is no need to use a separate computer. Simply complete the first half of the process, then use your web browser on the same computer for the second half. Complete the web-based portion and get the keyfile onto your computer, being sure to put it into the correct location. Finally, return to HL and restart. Everything should be working properly.

The other option is to convince your security software (or Vista) to let HL do what it's trying to do. The easiest way to do that is to either run HL with admin privileges or run HL in Windows 2000 compatibility mode.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
johnturner

Old February 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
the authoring kit say sample, and I've purchase the full version or should it say sample
johnturner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnturner View Post
the authoring kit say sample, and I've purchase the full version or should it say sample
I don't understand your question. The Sample game system is included with HL to demonstrate facets of the Skeleton Data Files, which are the framework for creating custom data files using the Kit. It will always say "sample", since that's its name.

Once you purchase a license for the Kit, make sure you re-activate your license via the License menu. Then load the Sample game system. You should *not* receive a warning about being in demo mode. If you don't, then you're good to go with the Kit.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old February 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Tried the manual process to activate the license, no change in effect. The authoring kit is still in demo mode. changed it to windows 2000 compatible as well with vista, and it didnt change the authoring kit from the demo mode.

This just doesnt seem to want to jump out of demo mode.
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I don't have your contact info from your forum identity, but I did a quick search on our server. I found a license that I believe it yours. It indicates that you selected the d20 game system as your included license and shows no additional game systems as licensed. The Authoring Kit is a separate "game system" license that includes Savage Worlds and all other games available under the Kit.

If I'm seeing the correct info on our server for you, then that's the reason for staying in demo mode with the Kit-based game systems (like the Sample). You can check what game systems your license is authorized for via the License menu by choosing the View License Info option.

If I've got wrong information here on this end, then please provide me with your correct license number via private email (use helpdesk at wolflair.com). I can then investigate with accurate details and let you know what I uncover.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old February 24th, 2009, 03:08 PM
ok, sorry might be my mistake. I thought the authoring kit was a free add on.
chiefweasel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
lordrodd

Old February 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I thought that the Authoring Kit was to be a free add on for existing Hero Lab users? I'm pasting the following from the website.

– Authoring Kit –

In a few short weeks, we'll be releasing Hero Lab 3.0, and with it the long-awaited Authoring Kit update. (This will be a free update for all existing Hero Lab users.)

Following in the tradition of Lone Wolf's other products, Army Builder and Card Vault, the Authoring Kit will let you add support for all your favorite role-playing games to Hero Lab. We'll include documentation to guide you through every step of the process, and we'll even be including the core Savage Worlds game system as an example of how it's done! (More details on Savage Worlds next week.)

Until then, we've assembled a preview of what you can do with Hero Lab's Authoring Kit for a game system like the new Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition. Here are some sample screenshots, as well as a sample output PDF. Enjoy!

My Authoring Kit Sample runs in demo mode. Have I misunderstood something? (Wouldn't be the first time)
lordrodd is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM
That's bad wording on our part, my apologies; the authoring kit, and all games created with it, are free to use in demo mode, just like our other game systems are. However, to use authoring kit game systems (Savage Worlds, 4e, any user-created games) and be able to save, print, etc, you need to purchase a license for the authoring kit.

Apologies for the confusion - we'll get this corrected in the next few days.
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
lordrodd

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. :-)
lordrodd is offline   #10 Reply With Quote