Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Seregil
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64

Old October 8th, 2015, 08:47 AM
The major update was pushed back when it was realized there was an issue in the updater (if I understood correctly).

Ok.

I thought the issue was resolved and we would see the update pushed soon after.

Any ETA on this major update? (whatever it is)
Seregil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Erdrix
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 97

Old October 8th, 2015, 09:17 AM
soon™
Erdrix is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Twin Cities Area, MN, USA
Posts: 1,260

Old October 8th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I wonder if they are holding off to ensure that more of their customer base has installed the recent updates that allow the major update. I would like to think, however, that it would be smart enough to know that the user was trying to "skip" and update and force them to install the necessary fix before allowing the user to download and install the major update.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,986

Old October 8th, 2015, 12:10 PM
The issue is a bug in the logic that detects that a new version is available that is required and necessitates a tightly coordinated update with the server. The bug in the CLIENT, and it will cause things to fail in obscure and confusing ways. That means that whenever we release the major update, anyone who has not yet updated to the interim release will encounter the same issue. There is nothing we can do to retroactively fix the version that users have running on their computers today, and that's the rub. The best we can do is fix the bug within the interim updates and get as many users as possible to install those updates before we release the major update.

So we are waiting until a meaningful percentage of users have updated to the interim releases so that they will not encounter this bug.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Seregil
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64

Old October 8th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The issue is a bug in the logic that detects that a new version is available that is required and necessitates a tightly coordinated update with the server. The bug in the CLIENT, and it will cause things to fail in obscure and confusing ways. That means that whenever we release the major update, anyone who has not yet updated to the interim release will encounter the same issue. There is nothing we can do to retroactively fix the version that users have running on their computers today, and that's the rub. The best we can do is fix the bug within the interim updates and get as many users as possible to install those updates before we release the major update.

So we are waiting until a meaningful percentage of users have updated to the interim releases so that they will not encounter this bug.
So we're waiting for enough average users to update?

Dear Heavens, we're doomed! ;-)

Thanks for the answer. I don't suppose you could make the wait easier by telling us what's in the update? *wink*
Seregil is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,463

Old October 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The issue is a bug in the logic that detects that a new version is available that is required and necessitates a tightly coordinated update with the server. The bug in the CLIENT, and it will cause things to fail in obscure and confusing ways. That means that whenever we release the major update, anyone who has not yet updated to the interim release will encounter the same issue. There is nothing we can do to retroactively fix the version that users have running on their computers today, and that's the rub. The best we can do is fix the bug within the interim updates and get as many users as possible to install those updates before we release the major update.

So we are waiting until a meaningful percentage of users have updated to the interim releases so that they will not encounter this bug.
How are you collecting this metric? is it by installed base or by recent login? You do know that some significant percentage of any user base will have installed a software package and stopped using it right?
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,986

Old October 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
How are you collecting this metric? is it by installed base or by recent login? You do know that some significant percentage of any user base will have installed a software package and stopped using it right?
It seems some of you have a very low opinion of our ability to consider these factors. Yes, we are taking these factors into consideration. I'm not going to go into all sorts of silly details that will just be a distraction from continuing development on everything that's still in the works.

I realize that it's now football season, so armchair quarterbacking is all the rage, but come on, folks.

Yes, I realize that was a little snarky, but I interpret the above comment as questioning our basic intelligence and experience. So I'm honestly a bit offended. At least @Seregil put a smiley face after his comment, so I'm going to assume he wasn't serious.

You'll note that I said MEANINGFUL. That's a heck of a lot different than "majority", "large", etc. It means we're taking all the various factors into consideration and identifying a target that makes sense. Sheesh!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,986

Old October 8th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seregil View Post
Thanks for the answer. I don't suppose you could make the wait easier by telling us what's in the update? *wink*
That was done at the bottom of the announcement that the release was delayed, which was also included in the monthly newsletter. Please refer there for a glimpse of some of the enhancements that will be in the upcoming release.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ddaley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 19

Old October 8th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The issue is a bug in the logic that detects that a new version is available that is required and necessitates a tightly coordinated update with the server. The bug in the CLIENT, and it will cause things to fail in obscure and confusing ways. That means that whenever we release the major update, anyone who has not yet updated to the interim release will encounter the same issue. There is nothing we can do to retroactively fix the version that users have running on their computers today, and that's the rub. The best we can do is fix the bug within the interim updates and get as many users as possible to install those updates before we release the major update.

So we are waiting until a meaningful percentage of users have updated to the interim releases so that they will not encounter this bug.
You must have been waiting for me... I have upgraded to release 200... so let's do the big one!



j/k
ddaley is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Seregil
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 64

Old October 9th, 2015, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That was done at the bottom of the announcement that the release was delayed, which was also included in the monthly newsletter. Please refer there for a glimpse of some of the enhancements that will be in the upcoming release.
Oh, I saw it. I just get the feeling there's more to it than is hinted at. Mind you, that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

I'm desperate for the Web client which requires the content market which...

Anyways, keep up the good work, I was just curious about when the mentionned big update was going to go live.
Seregil is offline   #10 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.