Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 8th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Ugh, that's gonna be a lot of work. I've got tons of portfolios with spells that will have to be regenerated, ouch. Plus the all the domains, since I replaced them all. My spells are a bit hairy right now, with all the special scripts I have in place to manage things, so this may take a while. :P

I've had no difficulties at all with the Replace Thing Id, I've used it extensively without issue. I do it because I don't feel I need to repeat myself (the principal of DRY in software development, which stands for don't repeat yourself). I usually only have to change one simple thing, such as a description or something like that, and I don't want to have to redo everything by remaking it.

Thanks for the info!
Kendall-DM is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 9th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
I've had no difficulties at all with the Replace Thing Id
Because LW has not made changes to d20 in a long time. I am use to working in Pathfinder that is "CONSTANTLY" changed per release. You quickly get to a different way of thinking because each time LW fixed/enhanced a Replace Thing ID I was stuck fixing all my replace things.

I am sorry as I feel your pain but its exactly why I moved away from using Replace Thing ID. Basically you end up with "Deprecated" logic/Things because of the Replace Thing ID.

As for the spells you don't have to update the .por files as the old spells still work. Its only if you want the "new" full text description will you have to update. Unfortunately no other work around exists.

I try as much as I can to seamlessly make changes but its not 100% always possible. To move forward sometimes I have no choice but to dump the old logic. I am sure this will happen again when I do more classes fixes and monster fixes.

Sorry

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 9th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Sorry
Don't be, it's all for a better product in the long run. A short term inconvenience here and there to improve the product over long term letting it fester is okidoki in my books. I was just hoping I didn't have to do all that work, but since I do, I'll just do it and be done with it.

Regardless of the Replace Thing Id, if I wasn't using it for the Domains, I'd still have to do the same amount of work. Because I like having all the spell text available at my beck and call.

In that regards, I still haven't sorted out the spell-like abilities that you changed in the last release. I've been wanting to leverage that, but life got in the way. Now I can get back to it and get my spell-like abilities to work more fluidly rather than the way I was handling them before.

Thanks for all the hard work dude!
Kendall-DM is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 10th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
In that regards, I still haven't sorted out the spell-like abilities that you changed in the last release. I've been wanting to leverage that, but life got in the way. Now I can get back to it and get my spell-like abilities to work more fluidly rather than the way I was handling them before.
If it helps at all, I added a file to the community set specifically for spell-like abilities. I've been adding spells as I need them. I need to go back and update it a bit now that all of the core spells are available, but if you are needing to bootstrap a spell-like ability, there's at least a chance it's available there already.
Sendric is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
billy.hewlett

Old December 15th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but I'm stuck and I need help.

I have been using http://shadowsoftware.net/herolab/d2...RL%20Setup.pdf with Hero Lab for a very long time with no problems.

I recently logged in for the first time in a long time and I can no longer access the d20 content. For example when I load my character it no longer recognizes all of the Crusader levels.

The problems are:
1) When I try to load the module I get a warning of conflicts in the Spell Compendium. It says it will attempt to load them in recovery mode.
2) When I try to load my character I get a long list of all the sources that don't load
3) When I try to follow the steps listed in http://shadowsoftware.net/herolab/d2...RL%20Setup.pdf, when I get to step 8 I can't see "an updated named “Lawful_g d20(vX.XX)”... it doesn't appear in the list.

I think I must have uploaded something that I shouldn't have, but I've tried to get back to where I was by several different methods (for example manually loading from Lawful_G_d20(v1.21).hl on disk), and the same problems persist. How can I proceed?

Thank you very much for your help.
billy.hewlett is offline   #15 Reply With Quote