Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

the_redbeard

Old September 2nd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Heh, I posted that reply from my main machine, misremembering the order. It's the opposite: I get the error on starting the program.

See attached error pic.

Now I've upgraded and can't reproduce the error until there's a new database upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: png RealmWorksUpgradeError.png (44.1 KB, 29 views)
the_redbeard is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old September 4th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Actually I am impressed by that error message (I am probably easy to impress).

Normally programs just say something cryptic along the lines of "An error occurred - the program will close. If the error persists contact your administrator."

But this one message explains what is wrong in a way that is understandable.

But yes, a couple of options (f.ex. download newest version of the program) would make it perfect.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 4th, 2017, 12:15 PM
You must be copying your db from machine to machine rather than syncing from the cloud. Either start syncing from the cloud or don't copy over the new db until you've checked for updates on the destination device.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 4th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Normally programs just say something cryptic along the lines of "An error occurred - the program will close. If the error persists contact your administrator."
You only get a message like that when something goes wrong that the programmers didn't anticipate or cannot possibly handle. Many problems, such as checking the database "version" against the one used by the application, can be handled. (Sometimes poorly, sometimes well, often not as nicely as you'd like. :)

Parody is online now   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 4th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Many cryptic error messages are from error traps. When I write code I place a check any time I request a resource from the system, which is by far the most likely cause of failure in a program besides the software having an actual bug. However the error returns on those requests is usually a cryptic code that maps to some barely in English error message. Since there are literally dozens of possible failures for some of these requests and thousands of such message in Windows total most coders, myself included, simply pass them through to the error popups since making our own messages would be massively time consuming and achieve very little.

RW has a unique use case and this is clearly an error message on a trap specifically about that use case. It isn't a bug in the program. It is in the way the user is using the software.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You must be copying your db from machine to machine rather than syncing from the cloud. Either start syncing from the cloud or don't copy over the new db until you've checked for updates on the destination device.

No. Thanks for the support!
the_redbeard is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 6th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Then how are you getting a DB newer than your install on the same machine?

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old September 6th, 2017, 07:08 PM
He's got something weird going on that he should open a bug report on, if nothing else. It may also have been something going on with new accounts and the DNS problem for new accounts LWD is/was having.

Anyway, I took it that he had two computers and it was while trying to upgrade the second computer that he was having problems. It almost sounded like it was syncing down the newer database before doing the upgrade and that was messing things up.

If it was related to the DNS problem that was related to new accounts then hopefully the problem is fixed or soon will be.
Viking2054 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old September 7th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
He's got something weird going on that he should open a bug report on, if nothing else. It may also have been something going on with new accounts and the DNS problem for new accounts LWD is/was having.

Anyway, I took it that he had two computers and it was while trying to upgrade the second computer that he was having problems. It almost sounded like it was syncing down the newer database before doing the upgrade and that was messing things up.
As explained on the first page, it is when updating RW on my laptop. I assure you that the database location is not changed and is not messed with by any cloud service.

I probably have synced from my main computer. I sync pretty frequently. When I take the trouble to upgrade, it's usually when I'm working on the campaign. I've made changes that I want on my laptop when running the game later.

It's got an explicit error message, so it is something that LW is aware can happen. My initial request was just to make the error message a bit more informative or easier to correct: even just the link for the latest download.

Yes, it is avoidable. I'd have to stop work on my campaign, go get my laptop and upgrade it before doing any work on my desktop. They're not in the same room, the laptop is often in a bag by the door, etc. Yes, I'm complaining about convenience.

On the other hand, not being believed, saying I "must" be doing something, is pretty rude conduct.
the_redbeard is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:15 PM
Are you sharing databases directly between the two computers or not?

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote