Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Silveras

Old November 12th, 2020, 07:02 AM
I have reported the issue as a bug, but I have also seen a thread on the Paizo forums from 2012 in which the writer planned to report the same problem, so it may be a duplicate of a bug that has gone unresolved for 8+ years.

Description: According to the CRB, when an ability score is Damaged (not Drained), a penalty of -1 per 2 points of Ability Damage is applied to a specific list of things for each ability score. Common to each score are Skill Checks and Ability Checks based on that score.

The problem: The implementation of the adjustment is incorrect, affecting things it should not. The current implementation applies the penalty directly to the modifier for the ability score, which means it affects some things it should not (ex. Class Features that calculate uses-per-day using the modifier).

Example Case: A Warpriest level 7 with 13 Wisdom and 6 Wisdom Damage. Uses-per-day of the Fervor ability are calculated as "1/2 level + Wisdom modifier". The modifier itself is not reduced by Ability Score Damage in the CRB, but it is here. So the correct value for the uses-per-day is 4 (1/2 level = 3, + +1 = 4), but with the modifier merged with the penalty and reduced in HeroLab to -2, the calculated value is 1 (1/2 level = 3, + -2 =1).

Work-arounds:
Since it may have been lingering for a number of years, I am considering writing my own replacement(s). Before I do that, I wonder if anyone else has done something.

One simple change I have been considering is, "could adjusting the timing of the existing adjustment work?" It is still the wrong implementation method (the description of the adjustment matches how it is implemented - applying the penalty directly to the modifier) but is the result correct?

To keep it simple if I have to replace the original in detail, I am thinking of creating specific ones for each Ability Score.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance offered.

Edit: I checked the Owl's Wisdom and Cat's Grace spell adjustments, and they make the same error in reverse: they apply the enhancement bonus directly to the ability score, which is not what the CRB says to do. To quote the relevant portion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rulebook p554
Ability score increases with a duration of 1 day or less give only temporary bonuses. For every two points of increase to a single ability, apply a +1 bonus to the skills and statistics listed with the relevant ability.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rulebook p555
Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

Last edited by Silveras; November 12th, 2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added information
Silveras is offline   #1 Reply With Quote