Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vampyre

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Hi guys,

So here I am again with some questions.

Basically, I wanted to use HL with SW in my own language. As mentioned, and even though the following text comes from the FAQ, it seems it is not possible to modify the game system itself.

Quote:
Will Hero Lab and data files be available in non-English languages?

Not initially, but most likely down the road. This depends entirely on whether RPG publishers want translated versions of their data files developed and how difficult the translations are to accomplish. We're designing Hero Lab with translation support in mind, so this will ultimately depend on the RPG publishers and access to the translated source materials.
Now, I remember that if I buy the authoring kit, I would have the opportunity to create my own system. And it comes together with Savage Worlds. So, I searched inside my folders, and found out that there was a source folder within Savage Worlds.

Brilliant ! Now, what if I create a new game system, called "Translated Savage World" ? Of course, I still would need to enter manually all the data in the editor, but at least I could be able to translate the text shown inside HL, by modifying the text inside the files, compile them, and have control on the outputs and such. So, I created a new game system, and copy pasted all the files from within the source of SW to my new directory. But it doesn't compile at all. I get an error "Syntax error in 'live' tag expression for Tab Panel 'smStatbl'. Tag HideTab.smStatbl not defined."

There, I start scratching my head. Would there be an error in the original source code ? I opened the file called summ_statblock.dat, and effectively found the referal to smStatbl. But it is well defined there and don't see anything missing there.

So, the other possibility left is to modify the savage worlds system with my needs. I can do without a problem at all for anything that is user related (I can translate anything with the editor as I wish), but stats such as Agility needs translation. I know they are defined inside the files that I need to compile, but I can't compile due to that mistake.

Has my last dream of having the program in my language vanished ? Or is there a method, as mentioned in the FAQ, that makes it possible to just translate ? (I don't want to modify anything, I just want to translate).

Once again,

Many thanks
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 7th, 2014, 07:26 AM
My copy of the Savage Worlds source doesn't have a summ_statblock.dat file in it, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old June 7th, 2014, 09:28 AM
No, you are totally right... I just checked the source, and as a matter of fact, there is no summ_statblock.dat file in it either.

I guess it's the default then when creating a project. It comes bundles with it, and that might explain why it is not compiling properly, due to the fact it is not defined in the source.

It makes sense... I will try over again, and try deleting that file, to see what's happening.

Edit : Deleting that files file solved the problem. Now I'm able to translate the system Good stuff. FOr people wanting to translate SW, here is the method I followed :
- create a new game system
- go in savage world source, copy and paste all the files in the new directory
- delete summ_statblock.dat

And now I can translate it

Last edited by Vampyre; June 7th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote