Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Exmortis

Old June 26th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Just my opinion, but I think a lot of the blame for the delay in the content market release can be laid at the feet of the IP holders. I'm almost willing to bet that LWD thought they were close to launching the content market when some IP holder(s) brought up some scenario that LWD is now forced to take into consideration.

Is some of it LWD's fault, sure. Managed expectations has been, shall we say, lacking. But I'm not sure it would be good for them to come out once a month, or three and say to the user base that X, Y, and Z has happened which pushes the release of the content market back even further.

I guess it is simply a situation of damning LWD if they do or do not inform us. For which, in my opinion, they don't deserve.
Seriously?

Yes IP holders held up RW for years...... But only a little LWD's fault.

I love RW, but I have grown despondent here, all this work towards this mystical magical fantasy of a content market has been exhausting. Especially when it has been the sole reason features I want are held up.

No, the blame falls squarely on LWD, for not managing the project, for not understanding the project.

Like reliving Vanguard all over again.

I remain hopeful that some day, before we replace pen and paper with holodecks, it will see some features I want, and even a content market. But even I can't remain positive about broken promises forever.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 26th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Seriously?
............. all this work towards this mystical magical fantasy of a content market has been exhausting. Especially when it has been the sole reason features I want are held up.

No, the blame falls squarely on LWD, for not managing the project, for not understanding the project.
I remain hopeful that some day, before we replace pen and paper with holodecks, it will see some features I want, and even a content market. But even I can't remain positive about broken promises forever.
WELL put..
and before LWD emerges from the shadows to say, "we the lowly forum supporters, don't know all the details" "shouldn't / don't assume what you don't know" or "things are far more complex than the forum population knows" etc......

Remember, you conveniently leave out those who have been suffering WITH you and have hundreds of years of combined experience in a multitude of similar and supported job types that would understand better than you give them credit for and could in theory help from a community standpoint............

But instead, You have chosen to sail the storm alone and in silence for fear of negative critique (some warranted and some not), yet as my grandfather often told me, "silence gives consent".

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
dachda

Old June 26th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Jeesh, guys, the whining about due dates is bloody annoying. If you are unhappy ask for a refund and go away. Regurgitating the same complaint over and over, has not and will not force LW to release software before they believe it is ready. So please just give it up already.
dachda is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old June 26th, 2017, 01:37 PM
The content market is something i must endure if i want custom calendars i am willing to shut up and let them do their work for that
Dervish is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachda View Post
Jeesh, guys, the whining about due dates is bloody annoying. If you are unhappy ask for a refund and go away. Regurgitating the same complaint over and over, has not and will not force LW to release software before they believe it is ready. So please just give it up already.
I think even the most ardent supporters and cheerleaders for LWD are getting very frustrated. We have been told "close" for nearly 2 years!!! I'm sure you can see the frustrations and why people may want to vent a little.

It is getting very hard to have ones' hopes repeatedly raised and then dashed by a deafening silence.

I understand they only get one chance to roll it out and to release the CM before it is ready would be disastrous, but still this is quite disheartening.
stuartwaring is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old June 26th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Oh dear, I chime in with the "get this content market thing over so they can get on to features I personally want"-crowd. For me that's the web-view (with stress on view, just want to show my players stuff on any device).

I long ago learned that the CM won't be what I wanted it to be: integrated in the program itself and a source for small tidbits like NPCs, sidequest or location. Instead it will probably be modules downloadable from the website. Meh.

Having worked in software development, I agree that the main problem here is the communication. Maybe they bit off more than they can chew, but talking about "soon" all the time loses you the support of even the most die-hard fans. Instead do what has been suggested several times and just give short updates about what you did in your last week/sprint: "spent all week hunting a bug. still haven't found it", "restructured the database to integrate field X without breaking everything", "reworked the UI, looked horrible, reset everything", ...
Let people know that you ARE working, even if there's no tangible output.

But for me, I couldn't care less about the CM anymore, but I DO care about Realm Works as a tool that made my DMing so much easier!
Merion is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 26th, 2017, 07:33 PM
The devs are quiet because they are working to get everything in place, such as the appropriate security measures required to be able to release content that's going to be sold. The KS backers getting their content also falls into that as the content they are receiving will also be sold to others.

We don't deny that much of the blame is ours and we've apologized for it a great deal, but we can't do anything about it other than continue to work toward the goal. When it's ready we will let you know. No amount of commentary, positive or negative, will change that.

Dervish: I laughed, thanks! If I could magically give you calendars I totally would!
BJ is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old June 26th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Beeing in the same situation as Dervish, I really understand your and the devs need for the content market, BJ. I argued that way more than once.

But, like many others around this forum, I beg to differ on a very important point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
but we can't do anything about it other than continue to work toward the goal. When it's ready we will let you know.
One of your most important assets are we, the users and customers. Sounds strange and slightly presumptous, I know. But the users, especially those lurking around various forums and the FB group, not only pay for your products. We are an important means of promotion also. If we are satisfied, we talk to others about it. If not, well, we do the same. If we can understand your problems and delays, will tell others also.

Quote:
The devs are quiet because they are working to get everything in place, such as the appropriate security measures required to be able to release content that's going to be sold. The KS backers getting their content also falls into that as the content they are receiving will also be sold to others.
Yes, we know, and we are gratefull for it, since we all want RW to succeed and get all the features (like custom calendars and individual reveal) we are all excitedly waiting for.
But - speaking as someone with some experience in PR - we need to know it on a different level.
Therefore I have to agree with Merion, the major problem is the communication.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old June 27th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Quote:
The devs are quiet because they are working to get everything in place, such as the appropriate security measures required to be able to release content that's going to be sold.
BJ I totally understand this and I wasn't trying to start a bitch session when I started the thread. I myself have been doing software development for the last 22+ years, starting with VB6 and now do C# windows services and SQL Server Database Development.

I totally understand the intricacies of proper database design of tables, indexes, views, etc.

But coming from this development world I know one of the most important things in Software Development is communication. Whether your doing 2 or 3 weeks sprints, we also did daily stand-ups.

I'm not asking for these daily updates. But just once a week or every other week give us a report.

Like Merion said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Instead do what has been suggested several times and just give short updates about what you did in your last week/sprint: "spent all week hunting a bug. still haven't found it", "restructured the database to integrate field X without breaking everything", "reworked the UI, looked horrible, reset everything", ...
I agree your products are great and help the gaming community a lot. And current you have a very good reputation, but if GenCon comes and goes this year and the Content Market is not released, I'm not sure how long this good reputation will last.
joepacelli is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Ambush

Old June 27th, 2017, 07:12 AM
One of the most frustrating parts of the world of software development is the cry of all the users saying "give us updates!" As a developer, it doesn't matter how much you communicate, everyone wants more/different/less/other information. Daily updates to anyone not directly involved in a project is a joke, and even sprint updates to those not invested is a waste. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. I'm stoked to already have the things that I have from RW, and I'll wait until the rest gets done. I KS'd an awesome project that has made my DM'ing life so much better than it was, and I thank you.
Ambush is offline   #40 Reply With Quote