Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion

Notices

wildfire142

Old December 31st, 2013, 04:06 AM
just tried to access after syncing when the 142 build came out and have the same error, bug report submitted. Fingers crossed they can fix/find the problem sooner rather than later
wildfire142 is offline   #11
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:04 AM
We suspect a part of what has happened is that you started with databases on two machines. You synced up on one machine and then you synced up on the other. Since neither had been synced before, we allowed the syncing of both to go through. This then caused two entry point topics that got created independently on the two computers to get synced to the server. It then causes the problem that occurs.

We probably should have spelled this out better, but the way we had wanted you to get Realm Works on a second computer would be to delete the database and bring everything down from the server or that you did a backup of the first computer AFTER the syncing and then did a restore on the second computer of that backup.

A lot of the errors are occurring because we didn't have starting point topics right from the beginning but added it after databases had been created and then we independently create it on each of the databases on the client after the fact.

We can sort this out for everyone, but it looks like we would have to delete some of the realm starting point topics that have been created which means if you customized the one that isn't hooked up any longer, you could loose those customizations.
davidp is offline   #12
Daelda

Old December 31st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
We suspect a part of what has happened is that you started with databases on two machines. You synced up on one machine and then you synced up on the other. Since neither had been synced before, we allowed the syncing of both to go through. This then caused two entry point topics that got created independently on the two computers to get synced to the server. It then causes the problem that occurs.

We probably should have spelled this out better, but the way we had wanted you to get Realm Works on a second computer would be to delete the database and bring everything down from the server or that you did a backup of the first computer AFTER the syncing and then did a restore on the second computer of that backup.

A lot of the errors are occurring because we didn't have starting point topics right from the beginning but added it after databases had been created and then we independently create it on each of the databases on the client after the fact.

We can sort this out for everyone, but it looks like we would have to delete some of the realm starting point topics that have been created which means if you customized the one that isn't hooked up any longer, you could loose those customizations.
Ah. I thought that the server would notice that the 2nd computer's database was out-of-date and would thus download the new database. I must have missed the instructions to delete the 2nd database first. Hopefully this won't take too long/be too much work on your part and I won't lose too much/any data. Thanks for everything you do - we appreciate it.
Daelda is offline   #13
Amaranth

Old December 31st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Initially I experienced this problem on one computer only. I only installed it onto a second machine after I received the error. Can you explain what I did wrong?
Amaranth is offline   #14
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
Initially I experienced this problem on one computer only. I only installed it onto a second machine after I received the error. Can you explain what I did wrong?
This problem could also occur on a single computer if you go back and restore a backup from before having synced to the server. There may also be some other scenarios.

It is a side effect for how we evolved the realm starting point topics and shouldn't affect users starting with Realm Works for the first time today.

For those of you who have gotten this error, please make sure to open a support case so we can identify you individually.
davidp is offline   #15
malvernas

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Could you not find a way to let us delete or override our cloud data and resync? I think this is the core of my "sync Error 301" issue. I would rather not loose anything I have done since my original sync as I have done a lot of data entry. I would rather lose the cloud data and resync.
malvernas is offline   #16
Daelda

Old December 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Would it be possible to take a recent backup.realm and rename it to master.realm - overwrite the current master.realm and resync? Then, delete the master.realm on the 2nd computer and sync? Would that possibly fix the problem, assuming the backup was created prior to the problem? Or would that just compound the problem?

Last edited by Daelda; December 31st, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Daelda is offline   #17
Nicole
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2013, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malvernas View Post
Could you not find a way to let us delete or override our cloud data and resync? I think this is the core of my "sync Error 301" issue. I would rather not loose anything I have done since my original sync as I have done a lot of data entry. I would rather lose the cloud data and resync.
We plan to offer this option by the time v1.0 is released. Don't worry, we're not going to leave you stuck.
Nicole is offline   #18
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelda View Post
Would it be possible to take a recent backup.realm and rename it to master.realm - overwrite the current master.realm and resync? Then, delete the master.realm on the 2nd computer and sync? Would that possibly fix the problem, assuming the backup was created prior to the problem? Or would that just compound the problem?
This could compound the problem.
davidp is offline   #19
wildfire142

Old December 31st, 2013, 11:45 AM
Am very surprised and greatful the tech support is working over the holiday season, fingers crossed its a simple fix.
wildfire142 is offline   #20