Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Conandy

Old July 30th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Here is a feature request for the forums: Could we please get an actively managed and published roadmap for LWD to show us what is in the works for Realm Works? What are the upcoming features and improvements that are actively in the pipeline? What are upgrades that are intended but might take awhile? What are some of the projected timelines? What are some often requested features that are just simply not going to be possible in the near term?

This could be a sticky forum post, a trello page we can be allowed to view, anything.

Just knowing that LWD is putting some love into the tool might just keep folks from jumping ship to other tools like World Anvil, etc.

Thank you.
Conandy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old July 31st, 2019, 02:37 AM
+1

Even though we had this discussion several times, I am still strongly in favor of such a list. Especially since the promised updates became somewhat scarce.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2019, 04:25 AM
Also, a list of what content is currently being prepped for the content market.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 31st, 2019, 09:32 AM
If you are reading this Rob. People. Are leaving to try other tools simply because of the lack of communication....

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 31st, 2019, 12:53 PM
It's the day before GenCon starts. I doubt anyone at LWD will see this thread for at least a week.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 1st, 2019, 07:06 PM
Hi folks, my apologies for the late reply on this. Our most recent focus has been getting everything in place for the launch of Pathfinder 2nd Edition so we haven’t had a lot of time to focus on future road maps for Realm Works. Rest assured when we have more info to share we will be sure to post it on social media and share in our newsletter. Thanks for being patient!
If you do happen to be at GenCon this weekend, stop by the booth for a demo of some of the new features.
Lj Stephens is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 1st, 2019, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
If you do happen to be at GenCon this weekend, stop by the booth for a demo of some of the new features.
New features of Realm Works or HLO?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:28 AM
Oh, wow. I must have been super tired when I wrote that. I apologize. The demos are of Campaign Theater. I'm really sorry for the mistake.
Lj Stephens is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
Oh, wow. I must have been super tired when I wrote that. I apologize. The demos are of Campaign Theater. I'm really sorry for the mistake.
TLDR;

Respectfully, LJ, one of the biggest beefs from the community of RW users is that LWD is spending so much time and effort with HLO that it feels like RW is stagnating. Features promised many years ago have not come to fruition (for one example, the player web view teaser video was published 4.5 years ago). Your comment above kind of emphasizes that, as apparently GenCon isn't going to feature anything new for RW. It is concerning, quite frankly, that it seems like one small team is working on all of the projects at LWD rather than having a team focused on each major project. HLO and RW seem like vastly different animals where work on one should not slow down work on the other. I know that LWD is a small company, and that gets thrown out in defense of LWD every time these conversations pop up, but that excuse can't fly for much longer.

If HLO is going to be the cash cow that gets LWD the ability to start hiring enough staff to actually work on RW again, even that would be considered "some" news that we could at least digest with the hope that our product isn't going to the curb. Of course, the Content Market was presented as being that income source, but I don't think we have heard anything on that front, either, since launch. (If we have, please point me there. I don't spend that much time slogging though all of these forums.)

You have to understand that there are many of us who have invested hundreds and hundreds of hours, each, to make RW the tool we need at our game table. But a lot of that time was done on good faith that the tool would continue to evolve and get better. Frankly, RW is THE most powerful tool on the market for what it does, but it still has so many little imperfections and quirks and there are other newer shinier products out there that actually seem to have active ongoing product development and signs that the developers actually respond to their users desires.

One of the reasons I personally started this thread is that every time I sit down to use RW, I find that I am fighting those little imperfections that others seem to be doing better. Custom Calendars? competitors have those. Web view for players? Other tools are designed from the ground up with that built in. So I keep looking for something to grab hold of that will keep me using RW. I don't want to scrap the hundreds of hours I have spent inputting my campaign world into this tool, but if it isn't evolving with the times and getting better, if features that were promised are still years off, well....

Rob and company need to realize that letting us know the truth, rather than nothing at all, would still improve retention of customers by a huge factor. I personally would probably stop looking at all the shiny alternatives out there if there was any inkling that RW was being actively worked on, at all. But I see no evidence of that. A stray forum post every few months with all the reasons why nothing has happened is not good enough. There was a flurry of activity surrounding the Content Market, but now what?

Help us out here, LJ. Please provide some transparency as to what LWD is really doing with our beloved RealmWorks. Please help us by being proactive with your customer relationships, rather than reactive. The newsletters are not good enough. Take some lessons from companies like DnDBeyond or Arkenforge, who publish roadmaps and trello pages to keep their user base in the loop on what is coming, and what is further off, and what is simply not on the table.

As someone who has been actively looking at other tools, I can tell you that their forums and user groups are FULL of people who have given up on RW for the very reasons I mention above. I truly do not wish to join their ranks. I just desperately want RW to fulfill the needs it promised to fill. I want to love it again.

Rant over.
Conandy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:47 AM
Amen to that, Conandy!

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote