Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bk

Old November 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I just applied 40K v5 update file and new patch for v3.1c, and for some strange reason the radio buttons are now very small (in right hand corner of box). I was told that there was a similar post on the board for this issue, but I could not find it in the search. Additionally it also hangs when trying to build out a new list or when loading an old list. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do to fix it?
bk is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bk

Old November 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
well, I figured out how to use this properly, I just go download and re-apply the 40K v5 update, and it will work until I close the app and restart it. So I can work around the issue by re-installing the patch every time before use. Am I the only one out there that is having this problem? Should I delete the software and re-install? If I delete the software an re-install will my license work, I did not buy the CD and I am afraid that I will not be able to re-install. Any other thoughts?
bk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MarkC

Old November 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I also purchased off the internet. I found that I could re-install and reactivate using the same key as before.

Regards

Mark C
MarkC is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bk

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, but it still does not correct the initial problem, and is quite tedious to continue doing this to correct the problem. Do the developers not review this forum??? I have sent a support e-mail request and was told they were heads down working on a new release and to post here. Well I'm about to just go back and manually calculate my lists at this point.
bk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ghaz

Old December 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Did you check and see that the reply didn't get sent to your Junk email file?
Ghaz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
bk

Old December 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Nancy did respond, and asked that I post here. That was November 19th. Maybe I'm being to quick, but thought for sure I would hear something by now. Especially since this is happening to others as well! It's a nasty bug!!!!
bk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
bk

Old December 17th, 2008, 06:54 PM
hello? anyone out there?
bk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late response - our time has been taken up with the Hero Lab 3.0 release, the holiday season, and the hack of our web site lately.

We first began to regularly encounter this bug about a year ago, and it took us weeks to track down the solution. The problem is actually with the standard windows "LoadImage" function that we use to load graphics into all of our products.

This function, if used in a certain common way, will load a bitmap from a file on the hard disk. However, sometimes it plain just doesn't work, and loads another image instead. You have to use it in a slightly *different* way, not specified in the documentation, to make it 100% reliable. Of course, we didn't find this out until a long time after Army Builder 3 had shipped, since Microsoft didn't see fit to inform anyone about the problem. You can only figure out what's going on by looking at the low-level assembler code for what it's actually doing.

This bug will be fixed in the next release of Army Builder, but unfortunately there's not much we can do about it until then. There's no reliable way to make the behaviour happen or not happen - it used to happen on my computer for a few minutes every few weeks, then go away for a while, then return. I've never seen anyone be able to reproduce it as reliably as you have.

Hopefully that answers your questions on why it's happening - I hope the frequency of occurance has dropped for you in the mean time.
Colen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
bk

Old January 11th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Colen,

Thanks for your response. It’s always good to know that I can re-create at will and that it is not really fixable. Is there a way that I can get into your testing cycle for the new release.. so I can stop reinstalling every time I use your product? Btw. my frequency is each time I use the product, and I eliminate the issue by re-installing the product and re-licensing.

I can reliably recreate this issue every time I use your product. Again, the frequency is execution +1 after install. The first execution works.

Please let me know and feel free to PM and/or e-mail me directly as well.

Thanks, Brad
bk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
thunderheart

Old January 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Did you get any resolution on this issue BK? I have the same problem and I can get nothing other than a cursory response from Lone Wolf. I mean they took my money and provided nothing. The software is UNUSABLE for me.

It's not like I'm some 12 year old discovering Vista for the first time. I'm running this on a well seasoned Thinkpad with updated WinXP and I've been around the block a few times. With over 20 years as a software developer, I know a bug when I see one and I can spot cockpit error just as easily.

I would try it on my newer HP but I'm afraid if it fails there, my 2 licenses are up. Considering the lack luster response to my other emails to Lone Wolf, (including a demand for refund) I'd then be out $40 bucks with absolutely no recourse. Other than taking the issue up with the Attorney General's office and maybe the Better Business Bureau. Both of which are fairly impotent weapons in general.

Is there any hope of getting this issue fixed or some help from the company?

Dallas
thunderheart is offline   #10 Reply With Quote