Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

gaffneyks

Old June 28th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Strange question here? Maybe someone who has tested exports would know.

In a group I have gamed with for 20 years, we are just finishing up latest campaign and talking about doing a split DM. We only meet every month and not everyone can make it each month due to scheduling, family commitments etc.

IF 2 gms both have GM copy of Realm works and hero lab(along with the Kobold Press add ons to Herolab). And we both purchase a campaign world from the content market. Say Midgard ( yeah I know that this has not been announced but I can always hope). Are we going to be able to share the realm back and forth via export if we both have purchased it?

We are talking about how to do the next campaign. We used Realm Works for this campaign and the players have the player copy and want like to continue to use it. Just wondering if this is possible or how it will work.

Both of us buying the modules and campaign settings etc from the content market is not a real big deal if we are able to share the realm back and forth as we play.

I have only done a full export as i have worked on realms so I am not as experienced as some on the Forums.

Thanks in advance for any advice people can give us.

And yes, I know the content market is not live yet. But it is coming. Like winter....it is coming.....
gaffneyks is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old June 28th, 2017, 09:19 AM
One thing you might consider is sharing an account. If you are friends and trust each other you may be able to purchase the material on one account and then just take turns logging in. There are draw backs. You can't both be logged in at the same time, but if you coordinate carefully you could each work on it, sync to the cloud, and then the next GM could sync his computer with the cloud. I don't see any reason that the export option wouldn't work, but I'll let the techie people chime in on that one
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:15 PM
I'm clueless when it comes to ex- and importing, but does exporting keep the reveal state?
Merion is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I have never tested whether reveal states are preserved but it is in the xml so I don't see why it wouldn't be.

As to prepping a session, running a session, doing a full export passing that to your partner them repeating the process and you importing that back into your realm. In theory it should work but who really knows until you try something like that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:51 PM
We've been playing around with this. There's now 3 copies of Realm Works Dm and 5 copies of player within our group.

Reveal state does appear to come across. So exporting and importing seems to work fine. It's a but painful having to do it all the tome but it works.

Sharing login details is also an option that works but is very restrictive.

Our case is a bit different though. We have multiple dms who run their own sessions with their own realms but we do it from a dedicated d&d room that is designed for use with my laptop.

This means we have 3 copies of Realm Works but they all need to be used on the one machine which obviously has restrictions. I can't create extra user accounts on this machine so rhe only option is to use import export to get it working.

I really wish the windows account limitation didn't exist so we could all just login when required.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 28th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Please remember that if you export from a realm that contains some purchased data, then the purchased data will not be included in the export.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote