Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

tkarn

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risner View Post
I'm very sure that could be done with an adjustment.
It is a permanent thing? Like your character forever gives up 3 1st level to add a 2nd level spell slot?
No, its a temporary thing.
tkarn is offline   #171 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Yes, and technically speaking you're only allowed to weave each spell slot once per rest, but there's no way to keep track of that. Is there a House Rule setting for gaining extra spell slots from high modifier for spell levels you don't have yet? It's a house rule my DM put in because of spell weaving. Even if I can't add that in as a house rule, I can probably use the script from Extra Slot to add those in somehow on the fly during play.

Normally having a slot of 5th level won't do you any good if you can't cast 5th level spells, since even with a 1st level spell with maximize, you have to be able to cast 5th level ones to be able to handle that magic. But if you can split the slots down to a level you can cast, it makes sense to have that extra power immediately.

Not saying I think this is how everyone should run it, but it's how I would. I'll come back if I run into any other problems. I should be able to use the reverse Extra Slot script to do Laden spells too. Those use up two slots of the spell's level to do extra things like Quicken, instead of raising the spell level.

Edit: Another small problem. How would I add extra spells 'known' for high modifier? In the AU book it specifically states that spellcasters get extra spells readied at a time for high modifier, exactly the same number of them as they get extra slots.

Edit2: Believe it or not, there is no evalscript for Extra Slot. It has something about freeform text, that's all.

Edit3: Gah, ran into another problem. I need to have the program check if a weapon with a certain ability is in the hero's possession to validate something. Is there like a primer on scripting for HL that will tell me how to call different values? Specifically my problem is that the class has arcane spell failure when not wielding a particular weapon(which I'll specify with a custom Item Power), I need HL to check for that weapon in the Hero slot and if it's there, remove spell failure chance. If not, or if it ever leaves they Hero bag slot, it needs to come back.

Last edited by Snowpaw; February 8th, 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Snowpaw is offline   #172 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpaw View Post
1 ) Is there a House Rule setting for gaining extra spell slots from high modifier for spell levels you don't have yet?

2) Another small problem. How would I add extra spells 'known' for high modifier?

3) weapon with a certain ability is in the hero's possession to validate something.
1) That will be hard to program, because RAW those slots are not available. I'm not sure what will happen if you enabled them in a script when they shouldn't be enabled. It might just "work" tho.

Try looking at Ring of Wizardry instead of Extra Slot.

2) Does "Extra Spell" have a script? It would be for how to do spells known.

3) This involves a for loop to loop over the weapons on the hero looking for gIsEquip = 1.
risner is offline   #173 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old February 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Where would I go to find info on how to make that for loop? I don't know the IDs of the inventory slots and such. If I did I could probably write it. I've done for loops, if-then statements, and such in my programming class.
Snowpaw is offline   #174 Reply With Quote
risner

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpaw View Post
Where would I go to find info on how to make that for loop? I don't know the IDs of the inventory slots and such. If I did I could probably write it. I've done for loops, if-then statements, and such in my programming class.
Ok, I looked at Ring of Wizardry and it uses a Tag (which means internal code dealing with spells modify based on the tag.

Looking at the internal code (data.hlz binary file) you see it using cMemMax.

Looking through all the user code, you see lots of things work on this value:
Alienist Extra Summoning
Radiant Servant Class Prereq
No Spell Ranger from CWar
Holt Warden Class from CCham
Pool of Healing Class Special
and many many more

Pulling up Alienist Extra Summoning:
It takes a pick on class helper, like cHelpDrd.

To make a feat that adds a 5th level spell slot to the Druid regardless of the level:

Final Phase/10000
Code:
hero.childfound[cHelpDrd].field[cMemMax].arrayvalue[5] += 1
hero.childfound[cHelpDrd].field[cCastMax].arrayvalue[5] += 1
If you just an adjustment, make a new one, set show menu to Class:
Add this Script to Final Phase/10000

Code:
~ Bail if we are not ON
doneif (field[pIsOn].value = 0)

~ Bail if not chosen a class
doneif (field[pChosen].ischosen = 0)

var i as number
i = field[pAdjust].value
field[pChosen].chosen.field[cMemMax].arrayvalue[5] += i
field[pChosen].chosen.field[cCastMax].arrayvalue[5] += i
Set Adjustment Details to "5th Slot" (just text so you know)

Then apply this adjustment, and select the class, then change the number to any value.
risner is offline   #175 Reply With Quote
Thegraham

Old February 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and new to Hero Lab. I have been using DM Genie before but have switched. I have a proble. that I can't seem to fugure out. Hope this is the right place to post this.

When I create a new Prestige Class from one of the Complete's how do I but the prerequisites in to qualify for the class. I've figured out most of the rest but this is stumping me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Thegraham is offline   #176 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old February 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Ok I'm back on this biz now. I'm adding it as an adjustment, but where do I stick the code there, and how could I set the value to be = to the character's (ability) modifier?

Edit: Just forget it, I don't know if I can do this without someone walking me through how to use the editor properly and I don't know anyone who uses this program...I don't think I can ever finish this. I can't even figure out how to erase UniqueIDs that aren't in use anymore or how to find a list of all the IDs in the program.

Last edited by Snowpaw; February 12th, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Snowpaw is offline   #177 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old February 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thegraham: Hit the Expr-req button on the Class Level of your prestige class and enter your pre requisites there. You can New (Copy) other prestige class levels for examples to draw from.
Lawful_g is offline   #178 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old February 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Snowpaw, can you clarify for me what you're trying to do and post your code? I try me best to help new people learn, because I got a lot of help on the forums when I first started out. Look at this thread for an example of using a foreach: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=11984&page=4
Lawful_g is offline   #179 Reply With Quote
Snowpaw

Old February 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Well, here's the thing. I don't know enough about the system to know where to put the code or how to call what values. I don't know what the name of the value for the character's DEX mod is, for example, or constitution score. How can I code anything without even knowing how to set variables? Right now what I'm trying to do is:

Add spells known = to spell slots gained for high casting modifier.
Add an adjustment which allows the player to give up three slots of one level to add one of a level higher. Or to take one of any level and split it into two of a level lower.
Figure out how to link a class ability to be on or off depending on if the character is wielding a particular weapon. (Mage Blades' spells have no somatic components while they have their Athame in their hand. Thus they ignore spell failure from everything....while they have that weapon ONLY.)

However I know so little about how to work this editor and the guide Lone Wolf put up is way too general in it's terms and assumes a lot of previous knowledge I DONT HAVE. The authoring kit wiki is NOT HELPFUL at all. I need someone to link me to a guide or explain to me how all the functions work in plain english. Because, as I said, the wiki is just waaaaaaaaaaay too confusing.
Snowpaw is offline   #180 Reply With Quote