Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Conandy

Old July 30th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Here is a feature request for the forums: Could we please get an actively managed and published roadmap for LWD to show us what is in the works for Realm Works? What are the upcoming features and improvements that are actively in the pipeline? What are upgrades that are intended but might take awhile? What are some of the projected timelines? What are some often requested features that are just simply not going to be possible in the near term?

This could be a sticky forum post, a trello page we can be allowed to view, anything.

Just knowing that LWD is putting some love into the tool might just keep folks from jumping ship to other tools like World Anvil, etc.

Thank you.
Conandy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old July 31st, 2019, 02:37 AM
+1

Even though we had this discussion several times, I am still strongly in favor of such a list. Especially since the promised updates became somewhat scarce.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2019, 04:25 AM
Also, a list of what content is currently being prepped for the content market.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 31st, 2019, 09:32 AM
If you are reading this Rob. People. Are leaving to try other tools simply because of the lack of communication....

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 3rd, 2019, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
If you are reading this Rob. People. Are leaving to try other tools simply because of the lack of communication....
People are also actively developing new tools to rival Realm Works. If you don't want to lose existing customers, you have to communicate. If you want to attract new customers, you have to communicate. If you want to stay ahead of your competition, you have to have a roadmap. And if you want to show people how and why you're better than your competition, you have to share that roadmap.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old August 4th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Yes to what @Conandy said, for the most part.

My own experience has been that I only check back every six months to a year to see any updates. Part of the problem was expectations but my own realization of my style. In the end, I need something that lets me put in ideas and notes as I'm gaming, not a system that seems to require all data entered into it and during a session, I just click to reveal things.

64bit helped and it's faster. It's still not at a level where pen and paper is faster for me. It might never be? I don't know. or it needs a whole new area for notes that I can type as I game, like a scratch pad, to put someplace later? Or the ability to record and convert to text? Or something?

I used to put data into it but don't even do that, and I do find that sad. That's where I'm at. I do think that RW was intended for a certain type of DM or to be used in a certain way and it hasn't ever come together for me.
evildmguy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 4th, 2019, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post
In the end, I need something that lets me put in ideas and notes as I'm gaming, not a system that seems to require all data entered into it and during a session, I just click to reveal things.
The use case for RW is very much "enter all the data first and between sessions", rather than as a note-taking tool during sessions.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old August 5th, 2019, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The use case for RW is very much "enter all the data first and between sessions", rather than as a note-taking tool during sessions.
Yeah, I know. I was just so excited for it when I first started using it. Probably because it's not how I typically prep or DM, it was showing me a lot of new ways to make connections and connect story points better. So, I appreciated and really liked that! But I still do a fair amount of reacting to what happens at the table, and RW just can't "keep up" so to speak with that style.

I think I was also really excited for the content market to have a lot of little one shot freebies, like an Inn or other buildings, including something that I could contribute to, over time but it seems like that's not the case, either. Or it's just that extra step of work.

Ah, well.
evildmguy is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old August 8th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I must be the exception. I've made my own game session category, separate from the provided tool. Each session I make a new topic, and order them with a prefix. I record which characters were there, the real world date of the session, and the (numerical) start and end in-game days. Then I take notes in snippets during the session, and I can choose if the notes are player info or DM info. It's all linked, so I can easily find a record of interactions with an NPC or when an item was found, etc.

Since I run a sandbox without a pre-scripted story, I may be an atypical RW user. But it's fantastic for a game heavy on faction interaction and where the past sessions influence the next.

EDIT to continue the conversation of the OP: I've got enough history and work inputting this world into RW that I won't be switching from RW as long as I'm DMing this world... unless some competitor put out an import feature. But all bets are off if I started a different world due to concerns expressed already in this thread.
I had hoped that the CM would provide income that would support RW development, and I fully expected there to be a quiet period after the CM release. I've even purchased a few CM items even though my world is nearly completely homebrewed, mostly with non-standard monsters and such, to support RW. I can also understand that Lonewolf's user base is largely Pathfinder and so a big development like PF2 (really not long after Starfinder too) would cause some shifting of resources. But with PF2 out, I'd have assumed that LW would have received previews and been working on PF2 before the launch so that with launch resources could go back to other things.
So, yeah: throw us a bone cuz we're going hungry. The dogs might start sniffing around another doorstep.

Last edited by the_redbeard; August 8th, 2019 at 05:07 PM.
the_redbeard is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old August 11th, 2019, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Sadly I am one of those.

As I generally only play published adventures (ok, I started building my own homebrew campaign, but just gave up - I dont have the time to devote to it, between playing and DMing in 4 games a fortnight) , the shiny buttons of new actively developed toolsets such World Anvil and Arkenforge are calling me.

I will still have RW for any campaign type stuff... but for individual sessons and as those systems get more and more features like RW (really its only autolinking that holds me back).. I'll find that I'll use RW less and less.

I havent given up hope yet... but what I want from a toolset is changing.
Happydevil43 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote