Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Tablewood

Old January 9th, 2018, 11:45 PM
+1 from me, too.

One thing that would really help me would be the following feature:
Image zoom based on Screen dpi, desired size (default 1 inch), 2 mouse clicks on map.
Center of these mouse click coordinates can then also be used as center FOV.

The idea is that a GM can click on the map grid and define that these two points are supposed to be for example 5 inches apart (5 squares) on the shared display.
-> A battle grid is created.

I use a 24 inch monitor with a thin plexi glas shield as my table monitor, where players can roll dice and move heroes and villains upon. Currently, I am using colored 7mm dice to resemble the players and opponents and I zoom the map manually to make the grid fit the dice. The players love it!
Tablewood is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 12th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Maybe you should look into a Virtual Table Top (VTT) program for that. D20 Pro, Fantasy Grounds and a whole slew of other VTT programs should help with this and may give you even more use since you can place and move tokens for characters and monsters on the screen. Of course there are a lot of other features VTT's can bring to the table that you may find useful to your gaming sessions.

Anyway, Rob has stated in the past that Realm Works will not incorporate VTT capability but that may be part of a separate future product, or not. So, I'm not sure I'd expect this any time soon, if ever.
Viking2054 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 13th, 2018, 01:32 AM
I would hope that the various VTTs out there might incorporate a way of having individual encounter details stored inside realm works (as external objects). When the encounter starts then the external object can be launched, and the VTT would take the launched object as a new encounter (windows can notify the VTT based on the file extension) and update accordingly.

Some VTTs like Fantasy Grounds might prefer to keep you locked into their own environment since they like to think that they provide their own quite-capable content management system inside their own tool. But they don't have the same power as RW.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 13th, 2018, 05:16 AM
I broached this issue four years ago in this post, and you can see how excited Rob was about it. I would love to see what we are talking about, but Rob doesn't believe that a VTT should drive the train, but that RW should. To me, that is not what most people would want. The VTT is where the action happens, and it seems logical it should drive the world encyclopedia engine.
Bidmaron is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old January 13th, 2018, 08:23 AM
I personally don't really want full VTT functionality. I have maptool for that. But often players are on one map, say a battle map or town map on the table. And they are discussing travelling to another town or area in the world, so want to see the distances and estimate travel time. So I pull up that map in the player view in RW. But the RW tools for manipulating and zooming and scrolling around a smart image are non-user friendly at best. All I really want is to be able to click on a couple points and have RW, based on the map scale I set for that image when it was loaded, tell me the distance, in miles.

That seems a far cry from actual VTT functionality. In concept at least (I won't speak for programming) it is quite simple. Set 2 points on the file (pixels) and define a "scale distance" and let RW determine from that what actual distances are as a simple multiplication or division of that number of pixels apart when you grab points later and ask it the distance.

Problem is that even if a smart image has a scale printed on it, there is really no way to grab the scale and apply it to the rest of the map in any practical way, especially if the map is zoomed in to a part that doesn't show the map scale.

The point of RW is to NOT have to have printed materials next to me. Right now if I want to accomplish what I said above, I would need, a printed map, an architects or engineers scale, or divider, next to me if I want to get distances off of it (assuming no hexes or anything printed on the map).
Conandy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 16th, 2018, 05:30 AM
For distance calculations in my maps, I just pull up Campaign Cartographer 3+ and have it calculate the distance or the distance along a path between the two points. If you use it for map making, it can give you that information. Of course you can also load a png or jpg version of your map with a distance scale into Realm Works then let your players try to figure out the distance and time.
Viking2054 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Eklypse0

Old February 11th, 2018, 02:16 AM
How about a Alpha feature for pictures, so you can show faded views on the player's view, without the framing?
Eklypse0 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 13th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I agree with the horde of ppl who state that some tools cannot be efficiently used within RW. Paperless is promoted and in somecases it will be enforced in the future, therefore the handling of the smart image resources must be easy and user friendly. Therefore +1

You don't really want to start an application for every other feature right?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 20th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
You don't really want to start an application for every other feature right?
Exactly!

Who knows, maybe Rob even changed his mind in the meantime? Nonetheless I agree with most above, that at least some VTT features and better map and image handling would be a great boon to RW. Doesn't have to be a full-blown VTT, just start adding some of its features by and by.
Merion is offline   #19 Reply With Quote