Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

salcor

Old December 31st, 2016, 01:29 PM
Hello, so I am playing around with creating a user file for the Savage Beastiary Aliens and Adversaries from Tricky Troll Games to educate myself a little in the datafile process. However, I cannot see how to connect npcs created for the encounter building to a data file. Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks,

Salcor
salcor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old December 31st, 2016, 01:38 PM
Hurm. I know I did that with my XCOM game, but no longer remember how; when I get a moment, I'll look at what I did and see what might have done it.
Paragon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 5th, 2017, 08:05 AM
Can you explain the problem you're having in a little more detail? On rereading it, I'm not sure I understand, and I want to do so before I try and answer this.
Paragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old January 6th, 2017, 03:44 AM
No problem. I have been fiddling around with HL a little, and I figured I would take the savage bestiary files and put them into HL. The Savage bestiary is basically a list of npcs. So I stared to create a HL file, but I did not see a sub menu for creating npcs. (I might have missed it). I also tried to create the character in HL encounter generator, but then how do I tie it to an .HL file to be exported?

Salcor
salcor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Ah. I don't think you can directly embody creatures in the .user file and have it accessible by the encounter builder; to make things available to the encounter builder, I had to pull up a creature from the .user file and save them in the SW directory as portfolios for them to be available to the encounter builder. I don't thing the EB actually interacts with the .user files; my guess is it uses the .stock files, which don't seem to be easily edited (they aren't text files apparently).

I seem to recall that Zarlor doesn't use the Encounter Builder, but if I'm wrong maybe SeeleyOne or CC can come along and disabuse me.
Paragon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 6th, 2017, 11:14 AM
If I understand it correctly, the creature has to exist as a Creature definition, and then a stock creature needs to be created in either a .por or a .stock file before it will be available for Encounter Builder.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old January 6th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Is there actually anyway for an end user to create a .stock file, CC? It'd be nice to store all that sort of add-on as one file rather than having to dump them as separate portfolios and bloat up the directory.

Last edited by Paragon; January 6th, 2017 at 02:09 PM.
Paragon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 6th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Paragon is correct in that I haven't really used the Encounter Builder much. I did try to use it for the Deadlands Noir file, though, and I think I have a bunch of what I worked on packed into that .user file, which should presumably create a DLNoir directory in your portfolio directory... I think. It's been a while and while I tried playing around with the Encounter Builder and Combat Tracker routines at the table before I think I didn't end up finding them as useful as I had hoped they would be, but I also didn't invest a lot of time into them. I've ended up primarily using Fantasy Grounds at the table instead and I really like that setup, in general.

As for .stock files, CC probably knows this much, much better than I would but I THINK (and I could be completely wrong about this) that those are just .user files with a .stock extension... maybe. If so I suppose it might be possible to create your .por files making them as Creatures, and using the Exporter to package them into a .user file and renaming the extension from .user to .stock and seeing if maybe that would get those things to start showing up in Encounter Builder for you all from a single file location.

I'd have to do a lot of playing around to test that out, though, so all of that is just a lot of guessing on something that may or may not be on the right track to do what you might be looking to do.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
salcor

Old January 6th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Hmm, interesting. I figured adding in creatures for the encounter builder would not be a big deal, I guess I was incorrect. The other interesting thing that I noticed is unlike the Pathfinder system there is no way to create a custom creature. I could I could try to recreate the creatures completely in the SPC2 file then save them to the encounter builder. I look forward to hear how I can export them to other users.

Salcor
salcor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Depends on what you mean by "custom" creatures. You should be able to create most things as portfolios, just make sure you select "Creature" as opposed to PC or NPC on the Character Configuration setting. Now if you're trying to build custom Monstrous Abilities that are not otherwise available then you may need to use the Editor to create those, although once you've created them you should be able to use them on the portfolio as normal (assuming you've set a source for that thing and selected your source on the Character Configuration screen.)

Now sharing your portfolios and encounters... well, if you did custom Abilities you'd need to include the .user file you created with that using the HL Export utility, which also has the ability to select a directory and file of portfolios to include. Not sure if "encounters" can be included that way, though. At any rate that's how you create a .hl file... which now that I think about it is actually what I meant to say above that a .stock file may just be a .hl file (instead of a .user file as I said above.) That's strictly conjecture on my part, though, I'd have to play around more to figure out any of that part, really.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote