Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

spamthulhu

Old October 15th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Its been 8 months since the Community SRD has been updated.

Adding in content is not simple, intuitive, or built with any intuitive methodology. No interfaces that make easy additions of races, classes, or anything else with out coding skills.

This is not the advertisement you get while being sold the product. The community pack was sufficient for a while to build characters but now it has become a problem.

Working with Adventures league characters or any of the new material that is coming out regularly has become a hassle. I am posting this because it is a criticism. Reliance on people with other jobs and lives to fill out your product without adding a simple system to add new content as a buyer is a problem.

I am sad as I like this product but there is only one character sheet output that has problems. We are now 8 months on since the last community update and that update was lacking a lot of content and had a few bugs that interrupted some builds.

I am at the point where I am looking for another solution and a patreon maker has built a simple yet advanced PDF that does what I paid for here. I am complaining as I understand that LoneWolf can't add the content but they haven't made tools for me to write my own content without learning coding. I bought a character builder software and I can't even make a character being required to manually fill in each field. I have to code a database of content prior to outputting a character.

If you are considering buying this product, I would say don't until the Community content is shown to be supported better because otherwise the product is vastly lacking without the effort of users. We buy this program and have to have someone else make the system for us to use.

Just consider your purchase and don't be surprised when the character you build is limited to what players can get to work in the software. DnD Beyond is not a reasonable solution to me so I guess its back to pen and paper for me
spamthulhu is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ambush

Old October 15th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Let me see if I have this right: You don't want to pay for DnDBeyond, and you don't know how to code (and don't want to learn), and it's not always easy and straightforward to add things to HeroLab, but the community team is too slow for your tastes?

I'm glad I took the time out of my day to read your other three posts complaining so that I could delete my empathetic response and replace it with one where I didn't really care. As a side note, the 5E package does everything that it says it will do. To the best of my knowledge, there is no agreement in place under which LW even -could- provide you with Xanathar's or Mordenkainen's, even if you didn't approach it like a petulant 10 year old.

If it's not in the SRD below, you're officially in the hands of the community team. Maybe you should try being nicer? Just a suggestion.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...D-OGL_V5.1.pdf
Ambush is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 15th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamthulhu View Post
This is not the advertisement you get while being sold the product.

Reliance on people with other jobs and lives to fill out your product without adding a simple system to add new content as a buyer is a problem.
I would point out that Lone Wolf and the Community made it quite plain as to what material was available BEFORE you purchase the SRD. Lone Wolf also has a very generous refund policy if you made a mistake purchasing a package, or you aren't happy with it. Also, you did not pay a cent for the community content, and using the editor to add new content (also something you don't pay extra for) isn't as difficult to use as you make it sound.

I'm sad that the only posts you have ever made to the forum have been to complain. There are heaps of people happy to help you using the editor or getting around any problems you might have had. I'm sad you never chose to ask.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; October 15th, 2018 at 11:04 PM.
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old October 18th, 2018, 08:11 AM
If you purchased Hero Lab and the 5e SRD, you have gotten exactly what you paid for and exactly what was advertised. You can complain all you want about the speed at which the community updates things, but you are entitled to literally nothing outside of the aforementioned SRD and a stable program to run it in.

Your complaints will fall on deaf ears. I am equally frustrated that I don't have MToF or WFtE in my Hero Lab. But I also recognize that I am not entitled to have them, and that if I want them faster, my only recourse is to offer help where I can.
Fenris447 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 18th, 2018, 11:46 AM
The things that are missing don't even require programming. They are just textual objects linked together.

Sorry guys but we had one person offer to help when we did the drive to try and get more people on board. I've got better things to do than spend every free night creating content that I don't use. Like selling my house and focussing on my new job.

If we had a few more people who use the content actually volunteer then it would be done by now.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old October 18th, 2018, 12:44 PM
"I bought a character builder software and I can't even make a character being required to manually fill in each field"

You don't want to have to fill in the fields on your own character??? When you play, do you have someone roll dice for you so you don't have to do that either?

Adding content in the Editor isn't that hard, I figured out in a couple hours how to add classes, monsters, spells, etc. for Pathfinder (and a couple others) just by copying existing things that were close to what I wanted and seeing what Lone Wolf and others did. While I do have (rather outdated) programming skills, I didn't need them for probably 95% of what I've done. I just needed an open mind and the willingness to try.
Phrll is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old October 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM
What you paid for was the 5E SRD rule set. Everything else has been added by the community working together.

Until HeroLab can get an official license from WotC, they literally can't add official material.

Even when we the community can add official material, we HAVE to change the basic text by at least 20% to meet copyright requirements.

I have done a ton of stuff for my personal campaigns. I have contributed material to the community pack. I am way behind on my personal commitments to the community due to medical reasons <sigh>

I have stuff to complete for MToF's and what I want to add for WGtE . . . <sniff>

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 25th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Oh and a quick FYI for anyone who does want the pre-release version of the Community Pack. You can download it directly from HERE and then install it to your 5e Data folder.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old October 25th, 2018, 10:09 PM
I really should add that link to my signature . . .

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old October 26th, 2018, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
Even when we the community can add official material, we HAVE to change the basic text by at least 20% to meet copyright requirements.
I wasn't going to comment on this until I saw some of the other contributors chime in. The text changes alone are a headache, and a turnoff for any "purist" out there.

I've contributed in the past and got tired of all the personal requests to get some homebrewed class that was found on the internet into the community pack or create it for them for *free*. I also had some large personal changes in life and just don't have the time to contribute.

I started with zero knowledge of the editor, and just a small bit of skill with scripting but not in the language used by the editor. I spent a small bit of my free time to learn and was able to help with VGtM within a year of buying a license.

My personal experience is that 95% of the monsters and spells go unused in most campaigns, so my personal files just have character options that are being used by myself or people running in my campaigns. If you limit your scope to just what's being used, its easy to learn how to use the editor. Just do it one subclass or monster at a time.
dungeonguru is offline   #10 Reply With Quote