Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old December 31st, 2017, 03:02 AM
I have found that RW is not conducive to my creative process. It's great for consolidating and organizing ideas, but not for creating. I sit in front of it, and I feel like I'm more focused on the tool than on the ideas.

Granted, each person's experience is subjective. For my part, I'll be using RW for the main event, but I'm going back to my roots for the "training" phase.

I revamped the template I used to use, and I'm sharing it here in case anyone else feels the same way. It's also been suggested to me that this template can be plugged into RW as a guide. I may give that a try, but right now, I need to get rid of my writer's block, and I think I'll do that the old-fashioned way until I get a better flow going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gytPchkiwII
Attached Files
File Type: zip Adventure Template.zip (89.0 KB, 47 views)
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old January 1st, 2018, 11:41 AM
Just finished a 31-2 sessions campaign and my players want to continue and tie all loose ends.

I got hit by Writer's Block/GM's Block and I can't get it off me. I tried to lure my damn muse by using fancy looking software products such as XMIND Zen beta, Scrivener, Scapple with limited success, because the high i get from the user interface and the illusory sense of productivity is just too short.

Starring at the RW screen is not helping either. I am trying with alcohol and browsing images on pinterest, which helps sometimes, as i tailor a scene around something awesome that i see.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 1st, 2018, 12:42 PM
Maybe just time to play a predefined adventure or have a break? Or try a different system for some time? Is it really a writers block or is it less interest because the number of hours spent on huge projects? Maybe in a few months when you have tried somethin different, your mind will be filled with new ideas

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 1st, 2018, 12:45 PM
I might want to add, that the adventure template could be easily integrated in realm works right? Just a few categories ecetera, maybe this will remove a lot of complexity of RW and you still benefit from the linking and features.

However I agree on one thing, it is easier to just use the template attached and fill everything in than creating snippets / sorting / linking / tagging stuff in RW. Maybe something that LWD should aim for - bring the experience of RW as close as possible to a free-form text editor

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 1st, 2018, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
Maybe just time to play a predefined adventure or have a break? Or try a different system for some time? Is it really a writers block or is it less interest because the number of hours spent on huge projects? Maybe in a few months when you have tried something different, your mind will be filled with new ideas
In terms of writer's block, predefined adventures aren't much better for me. I have to figure out how to adapt it to my world and my players. I have 5 to 7 characters (depending on who shows up) who've been playing at 11th level, and I just bumped them up to 12th.

I'm use "writer's block" as a general term for not being able to write, whatever the root cause. When that happens, one of the things that helps me is to unplug for a bit, go for walks, hit a quiet room at the library, write with actual pen and paper, things like that.

When I sit at a computer, there are the distractions of how to arrange snippets, what topics to enter and when, then there's email, facebook, youtube, wikipedia, d20pfsrd, ebooks, etc.

When I unplug and sit down with pen and paper, it's just me and the pen and paper.
EightBitz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old January 2nd, 2018, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
When I sit at a computer, there are the distractions of how to arrange snippets, what topics to enter and when, then there's email, facebook, youtube, wikipedia, d20pfsrd, ebooks, etc.

When I unplug and sit down with pen and paper, it's just me and the pen and paper.
Indeed, there are so many distractions nowadays and when you are sitting in front of the computer you can get easy access to some entertainment, which actually does not help in getting rid of this block.

I think i might have burnout after 30+ sessions using entirely published adventures and now when it is "Free form" for me to finish, I am a bit exhausted. I will try the good pen&paper approach and try to remember how i was solving this years ago.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:03 AM
Sometimes you just seemingly run out of ideas / inspiration / interest.

I think the worst you can do is trying to force it.

Let it be - do something completely different - maybe clean out that garage you have planned to do for years.

And suddenly you will feel like telling a story or continue with something in your game / world / story.

When you have felt like that for a week or so straight, then it is probably safe to go back and be creative.

But not before.

And if you never get that itch to be creative again - well, I guess you have moved on.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote