Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

weogarth

Old January 10th, 2015, 04:02 AM
Welcome HippyCraig! MnBlockHead nailed it, unfortunately for you. In a nutshell, we were told in the Kickstarter era that the 'stuff' is there for the calendars but the interface (and probably other things) aren't to the point where they need to be.

Chemlak, myself and others have been....enthusiastic....proponents of this feature and we're all hoping that after the survey results are collated, it rises to the top of the list.

I am not sure if the survey is still open, HippyCraig, but look for the survey topic links and see if you can still take it and if so, let your voice be heard.
weogarth is offline   #201 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old January 11th, 2015, 07:16 AM
I did fill out a survey, and I did rate that item as high. Thanks for your input, this is going to make running my games so much easier.
HippyCraig is offline   #202 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old January 11th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Just to inject a little realism here: I was chatting to DavidP before Christmas (or was it between Christmas and New Year? I forget) about calendars, and (if a little reading between the lines is permitted) it seems to me that the more we ask for with respect to calendars, the longer and harder the process will be for the developers to meet our requests.

Speaking for myself, I just want them, however complex and gruesome the process to input them is. I don't need a pretty front end, but I would certainly like one.

The more bells and whistles we want, the longer calendars are going to take. Please be mindful of this when asking for more features.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled calendar enthusiasm.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #203 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old January 11th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
Just to inject a little realism here: I was chatting to DavidP before Christmas (or was it between Christmas and New Year? I forget) about calendars, and (if a little reading between the lines is permitted) it seems to me that the more we ask for with respect to calendars, the longer and harder the process will be for the developers to meet our requests.

Speaking for myself, I just want them, however complex and gruesome the process to input them is. I don't need a pretty front end, but I would certainly like one.

The more bells and whistles we want, the longer calendars are going to take. Please be mindful of this when asking for more features.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled calendar enthusiasm.
I think that is true for every feature when you get right down to it.
weogarth is offline   #204 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Quote:
So iterative design:

1 - a single calendar

2 - linking calendar together

3 - stupid calendars where the number of hours per day, or days per year changes in an almost random fashion ;-)
Farling is offline   #205 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old January 12th, 2015, 03:58 AM
weogarth, Farling:

Well, yes, I'm just aware that all the cool stuff we want (and some awesome things in the survey) could be construed as "give us everything, now!", when actually we want things incrementally.

For example, if all it takes to switch calendars on are enough of us being willing to write up the format of the most popular ones in, say, XML, and share the code here, then by golly, I want that! And I'll take that over a 9 month delay while we wait for a pretty UI, any day.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #206 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 12th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Quote:
&
Quote:
weogarth, Farling:

Well, yes, I'm just aware that all the cool stuff we want (and some awesome things in the survey) could be construed as "give us everything, now!", when actually we want things incrementally.
We do??? lol
Seriously, I'm pretty sure if there were a "poll of the poll" (heheh) that all would vote now over increments, but I think we are all (well maybe not all, most?) rational enough to realize that LWD only has a finite amount of labor resourcing at its disposal (ie programmers)

As you point out, All, no matter their banner (as long as CALENDARS are waving at the top), would prefer getting something in increments than to wait till the end for all things to be fulfilled.

DLG
Paladin Champion to Calendar Banner

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; January 12th, 2015 at 04:10 AM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #207 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 12th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Hear, hear!

Quote:
weogarth, Farling:

...if all it takes to switch calendars on are enough of us being willing to write up the format of the most popular ones in, say, XML, and share the code here, then by golly, I want that! And I'll take that over a 9 month delay while we wait for a pretty UI, any day.
MNBlockHead is offline   #208 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I've just re-read the Bromeliad trilogy by Terry Pratchett, where the Nomes are only 4 inches high and live for 10 years, but still experience the same life-span as humans. Consequently, each day for them is 10 times as long.

One of my home-brews will have PC's that are an inch high, and live for about 2 1/2 years. Their day is 40 times as long as ours.

I know that the calendar needs a unit analogous to a second for it to mesh properly, but can it cope with smaller units?

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #209 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I'm going to guess that incrementally isn't going to work but I've been wrong before. I'm basing this on the fact that by and large, they are mostly done.
weogarth is offline   #210 Reply With Quote