Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Theocrat

Send a message via Skype™ to Theocrat

Old June 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi all -
With the new Pathfinder logo and I'm sure happy message from HeroLab executives regarding what that means for us users - I'm concerned what will happen at the end of HeroLab v3.9 for Pathfinder (and by judging by the way updates have been coming, should be just before GenCon). So I'm wondering if V4 will have the APG and besides having a purchase for that source code, will there also be an upgrade from V3 to V4 cost?
Even if the two do not coincide with with each other, will there be an upgrade cost from V3.9 to V4 of HeroLab for Pathfinder?

Be Well. Be Well Upgraded.
Theocrat Issak

Theocrat Issak
Las Vegas Lodge Gaming Agent
PFSTheocrat@gmail.com
Theocrat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Bishop37
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind that in the wonderful world of software development, 4.0 doesn't necessarily follow 3.9. They could easily go to 3.10, 3.11, and so on. Stepping up a whole number indicates a major design change, not just an incremental change like has been coming up to this point. I honestly don't expect to see 4.0 come out til they are ready for multi-platform support (since I'm assuming the Pathfinder license comes contingent on Lone Wolf's planning to support the Mac OS or perhaps even Linux).
Bishop37 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I know that the APG will be a separate data package and will have a cost to add most likely 10 to 15 $ BUT once you buy a data package you get all the updates for free. From V1.0 to 100000.999999999. Thats why I love Hero Lab.
dartnet is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Bishop37 is dead-on with his assessment about the next update of the Pathfinder data files. It will definitely be V3.10.

He's also correct about when we'll make the transition to V4.0 for the Pathfinder files. It will mark a major overhaul of how things are done, and we're not expecting another major overhaul for some time. Barring any major surprises, the APG data package will simply be part of another incremental update for the Pathfinder files. The APG content will have a separate cost associated with it, just like the Bestiary package does, but the data file version should be incremental.

As Dartnet pointed out, when we do finally transition from V3.x to V4.0 of the Pathfinder data files, there will be *no* extra upgrade cost. Similarly, when we transition to V4.0 for Hero Lab itself, there will be *no* extra upgrade cost. It's conceivable that we'll offer add-on functionality to Hero Lab at an extra cost with V4.0, but that functionality will be entirely optional, and all the core functionality will be a free update.

Hope this makes sense.....
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote