Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

charlieluce

Old October 31st, 2014, 08:42 PM
On first look, I'd put the Specials tab right after the Skills & Feats, since I always have to move it over after I open the character anyway (seriously, class features and the like should be next to Feats, they do many of the same sorts of things). I'd also put the magic items above the mundane gear instead of vice-versa.

I also have a hard time telling the greyed out items from the regular black ones. Maybe lighten it up another shade, or add a touch of color one way or another?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is online now   #11 Reply With Quote
DarkHerald

Old October 31st, 2014, 11:34 PM
I like the new look and overall it works much better. I am just not fond of the heart and shield token where your HP and AC are displayed. I have never liked seen that type of thing on a character sheet. I prefer cirlces or squares that's just me
DarkHerald is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
artdude88

Old November 1st, 2014, 03:56 AM
Nice add, makes the info pops and easy to find.
artdude88 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Xorial

Old November 1st, 2014, 09:24 PM
I love it. I hope this makes it into the Tactical Console. Some of it, anyway.

Lo, there do I see my Father..
Lo, there do I see my Mother
And my Sisters and my Brothers..
Lo, there do I see the line
Of my people back to the beginning..
Thay do bid me to take my place among them..
In the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the Brave may live forever.
Xorial is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
As some of you may have saw, whether in our release notes or after opening Hero Lab, the Summary Panels have been redesigned.

What do you think about the redesign at first glance? How does the redesign affect your game play if you're using a computer with Hero Lab at the table?

We look forward to hearing your feedback!
It's a bit easier on the eyes than it was. I like the extra width and less panels too. I think this will make things easier in the long run. Looks wonderful to me so far.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Galahan

Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:50 AM
In general I liked, bu as a GM I liked to see the class/race and level in the Basics Summary Pannel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
One request, it would be nice to show active "conditions" in a panel (at the bottom, maybe before feats or something). Sometimes you check that "Fatigue" or "sickened" box and forget about it...
I agree. Maybe in the basics bottom.
Galahan is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
tahltwo

Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahltwo View Post
i've got interface design kung-fu. get in touch with me if interested in overhauling look-and-feel. herolabs could use a major update.
following up on my comments from above.

below is a drastic design direction, keeping many good usability considerations in existing interface layout.

some usability considerations in this comp:
  • larger type for quick scan and legibility
  • tabs are color-coded and clustered into similar contents
  • more space around lots of bits of info to reduce visual clutter
  • data clustered into blocks of similar info for quick-scan
  • additional info (beginning with "skills" to the right of screen) intended to auto-hide on smaller viewing area, or when window is made smaller
  • info block is flexible at bottom for any stat section that grows (e.g. feats; weapons; etc)
  • secondary info grayed out to reduce distraction while quick-scanning but still available for viewing
feedback expected and welcomed! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hero_lab_interface_2014-1.jpg (320.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by tahltwo; November 4th, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
tahltwo is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM
tahltwo, the picture should really be in a separate thread if you want comments on it.

I see that your screen is missing the In-Play column which is essential for seeing how many of the per-day uses I have left and the spells I have. I certainly don't need to see the full abilities table or complete table of movement rates in the summary columns.
Farling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
tahltwo

Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
tahltwo, the picture should really be in a separate thread if you want comments on it.
as in the whole post, or just the image? as in create a new thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I see that your screen is missing the In-Play column which is essential for seeing how many of the per-day uses I have left and the spells I have. I certainly don't need to see the full abilities table or complete table of movement rates in the summary columns.
good feedback. also as someone mentioned (which i saw after posting) that the conditions should be up front too.
tahltwo is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
First off, I like the new look of the panels. Even the white boxes (actually love em), so much easier finding what I need. In fact, I'd like the same for Initiative and Speed if possible.

One nit pick, it would be nice if it handled long text better. Long weapon text or when you get 3-4 attacks, the text can be too long and chop off. It can also loose spacing between the to hit numbers and damage dice (ie +11/+61d8+6). Even if I only show 3 panels, it's not enough room for weapon display.

On the weapons tab, It looks like it does a much better job wrapping long text but the "container button" can get pushed in the critical numbers area.

One request, it would be nice to show active "conditions" in a panel (at the bottom, maybe before feats or something). Sometimes you check that "Fatigue" or "sickened" box and forget about it...

Second request would be that HL still doesn't recognize input boxes for soft (or virtual) keyboards in windows 8.1. eg to enter HP damage, I have to click in the box, then click the keyboard button on the task bar, enter damage, close keyboard. It would be nice if it auto popped the soft keyboard straight to number pad and closed if you touch/clicked outside the input box.

Here are some screenshots from my Surface Pro 3. Note, I have modest screen scaling turned on at 150% (vs 200%) as it's a HDPI screen. I supplied another shot without scaling turn on (which causes HL to be way to small to be usable and a lot of wasted space).
As I use a Surface 3 Pro as well I was wondering what you were saying, then when I looked at your screenie's I understood, you really do scale up, I run default noscaling.

However for me I use the panels as "quick glance" only, when it comes time for skill checks, weapons, spells etc. I switch over to that tab, which may be why reading the panels is not such an issue, however I do like the view with it scaling somewhat. Going to play with this a little.
Exmortis is offline   #20 Reply With Quote