Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

SteveT
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 14th, 2018, 05:57 PM
There's a new BETA release of Realm Works (build 247) with some enhancements and bug fixes that we'd love for people to try out over the weekend. Head over to the beta release thread to download the new installer and check out the release notes!
SteveT is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 14th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Quote:
When a content element is renamed, Realm Works no longer prompts the user to perform a fixup of matching links within other content. These matching links are now automatically displayed with the correct name without the need for a separate fixup operation.
If the occurrences of the link are going to be automatically changed to the new text, can we get an option to disconnect ALL links before we change the topic title?

Sometime the topic title is being changed in order to prevent future linking (e.g. by adding the word "The" to the start, and this word definitely doesn't want adding to all occurrences of links to the topic).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 14th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Various options were added in beta 247 to change the behaviour of Realm Works, and these options are changing the behaviour by default.

This means that a user who upgrades is going to have to read the release notes in order to realise that they will have to go in and change several options to keep their current behaviour.

I would much prefer that when an option is added to change the product behaviour, then the default value should maintain the existing product behaviour - especially since these latest changes are per-realm settings in which case a user will have to go into each realm and find all the options to revert to the user's expected behaviour.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Last edited by Farling; December 14th, 2018 at 10:27 PM.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 14th, 2018, 10:26 PM
On the "Content Display" preference panel, the currently selected "Label Display" option is removed when interacting with entries in the "Content Link Display" section of the panel.

Changing to a different realm aspect and back again, restores the indication of the selected label display (but again is lost when keyboard focus is moved to the content link display section).

Farling

Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 14th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If the occurrences of the link are going to be automatically changed to the new text, can we get an option to disconnect ALL links before we change the topic title?

Sometime the topic title is being changed in order to prevent future linking (e.g. by adding the word "The" to the start, and this word definitely doesn't want adding to all occurrences of links to the topic).
I +10000000 that!!!

If you keep the current behavior, I have to clone a topic, delete the original and rename the clone just to not have all topics that contain the string fucked up.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 15th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Quote:

While I don't use tricks like adding "The" to prevent future links (that sounds to me more like exploiting a bug than intended usage), I do very much prefer to have the option of how to handle the cases when name changes come up. Most of the time, the automatic name change would be undesirable -- so this change essentially automates making my life worse, not better. Therefore, yes, an option to remove any existing links would be better than automatically changing the text.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old December 16th, 2018, 01:19 AM
Quote:

I would like to be able to choose in settings how to automate this behaviour, between:

- leave all the existing text of the links as they are now
- update the existing text of the links to the new name
- convert the existing links to plain text
- do not automate, ask for each of them (as it is now)

and if the last is chosen, add to the window that appears whith the choices in each linked topic the option
apply this choice to all the links to this specific renamed topics

Last edited by Cammagno; December 16th, 2018 at 01:22 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 16th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Various options were added in beta 247 to change the behaviour of Realm Works, and these options are changing the behaviour by default.

This means that a user who upgrades is going to have to read the release notes in order to realise that they will have to go in and change several options to keep their current behaviour.

I would much prefer that when an option is added to change the product behaviour, then the default value should maintain the existing product behaviour - especially since these latest changes are per-realm settings in which case a user will have to go into each realm and find all the options to revert to the user's expected behaviour.
I agree.

A small thing but worth mentioning.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old December 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Great job LWD! Thank you for the new version!

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old December 16th, 2018, 09:35 PM
I agree with Vargr, Cammango and Farling on this.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote