Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Praetor

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to have a core skill (Guts) not show up when a particular user datafile is salected. Many of the current genre books for Savage Worlds does not use Guts for fear checks. I tried Preclude but that just gave me an error.
Praetor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 31st, 2010, 11:29 PM
To completely remove a skill, you would use the Hidden tab within the Editor.

If you want to only remove the skill when specific custom content is utilized, you need to use the Preclude tab, but there are multiple steps involved. First, you need to make sure that the custom content the behavior is tied to uses a Source. This is achieved by assigning a Source to one or more things defined within the user data file. Once that's done, then you can use the Preclude tab to specify the unique id of the skill and the unique id of the Source for which it is disabled.

If there are other aspects of the data files that rely on the skill being present, using Preclude may result in errors. When you preclude a thing, it is treated as not existing, so any other things that reference the precluded thing will complain. If this occurs, you'll need to replace the skill with a revised version that behaves the way you want. Given your requirements here, though, I don't think it's possible to achieve this currently. I'll add this to the todo list and see about getting it added shortly.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Praetor

Old September 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
To completely remove a skill, you would use the Hidden tab within the Editor.

If you want to only remove the skill when specific custom content is utilized, you need to use the Preclude tab, but there are multiple steps involved. First, you need to make sure that the custom content the behavior is tied to uses a Source. This is achieved by assigning a Source to one or more things defined within the user data file. Once that's done, then you can use the Preclude tab to specify the unique id of the skill and the unique id of the Source for which it is disabled.

If there are other aspects of the data files that rely on the skill being present, using Preclude may result in errors. When you preclude a thing, it is treated as not existing, so any other things that reference the precluded thing will complain. If this occurs, you'll need to replace the skill with a revised version that behaves the way you want. Given your requirements here, though, I don't think it's possible to achieve this currently. I'll add this to the todo list and see about getting it added shortly.
Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I tried using the preclude and got errors as you said, that was before I posted here. I also tried Hidden and got different errors.

What I ended up doing was making a new skill and adding the id of the old skill in the replaced thing field. I then added the unique id of my new skill to the hidden tab. And that solved it. Bascially I am working on a Weird Wars II file and WWII doesn't use guts.

Now if I can figure out the best way to handle Rank, and National edges I'll be home free :-)

Alvin
Praetor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote