Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
The number of ranks bought is not the problem (I'm not changing the cross-class or class skill maximum ranks structure). They difficulty is in how many skill points each class spends on cross-class skills.
Ok, I guess I had trouble explaining my proposed solution to you. I will try again.

Try this:
1) Look up the class number of points spent on the class you wish to "double" points spent to accomplish 1 for 1.
2) Add the required amount to ranks to make sure they reflect as you wish.
risner is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
risner

Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
This is not actual code, just design and actual code mixed in.

Example code:
Code:
var a as number

search to find the kValue for the class you want to change (kListen) (say 3 = 3rd class you have taken)
a = blah.field[kValue3].value
hero.child[kListen].field[kUserRanks].value += a

Repease last 3 lines for thingid.kSpeakLang|thingid.kSpot"
risner is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
risner

Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Did some searching:

var index as number
index = hero.child[cHelpWiz].field[cClsIndex].value

that tells you which one it is, so:

if (index = 0) then kValue0
if (index = 5) then kValue5
risner is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Well, I was able to get around this, as long as I'm careful when creating a character. All I have to do is check that there are no remaining skill points in the class that gets the general skills in my game, and only apply the code segment while there are points to be spent. Obviously, I need to spend for each class independently before adding new classes, that's the careful part. Here is what I added to the code segment (using Wizard again).

var index as number

if (hero.child[Totals].field[tSkTotals].arrayvalue[index] <> 0) then

*code above*

endif

EDIT: Nevermind, still needs work, forgot it changes the ranks as soon as the skill points are empty. Ergh.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; February 24th, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Ok, I went back to my original code for doing this, which works. It just isn't doing validity tests like I would like. But it works, and doesn't cause me the headaches that trying to do things across the hero does. Not the ideal solution, but a solution. Oh and I have to use the eval rules panel and set all these skill types to a class skill, then restrict their ranks. Something like this for Speak Languages on a Wizard.

@valid = 1
doneif (#levelcount[Bard] >= 1)

var genRanks as number
genRanks = (#totallevelcount[] + 3) / 2
if (#skillranks[kSpeakLang] > genRanks) then
@message = "Skill " & hero.child[kSpeakLang].field[name].text & " has too many ranks for a general skill."
@valid = 0
endif

Of course, the problem here is it happens within the class, making error validation on the skill difficult at best. As of now, it does a warning. Now I just have to do the same for all the other skills across the classes.
Kendall-DM is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old March 4th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risner View Post
Did some searching:

var index as number

that tells you which one it is, so:

if (index = 0) then kValue0
if (index = 5) then kValue5
risner, my apologies. I did in fact get this to work just as you said. I was simply approaching it the wrong way. By adding 1/2 the specific classes KValue into the kUserRanks, it produced the results I needed that didn't apply it across the hero. Thank you, thank you, and thank you. What I found out is, the only thing I needed to modify was the kUserRanks, as any other modification to kUserPts, kValueX, or the class/cross-class skills of the class were just too inter-connected to not affect something. When I realized that the only thing tracked by class was in the kValue, and the only thing I needed to modify was the kUserRanks, add 0.5 * that kValue back into the kUserRanks worked like a charm, and without messing up any other classes that are using the same skill as cross-class or class. Thank you once again (this was the one and only thing I couldn't stomach a half measure on).
Kendall-DM is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 29th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
risner, my apologies. I did in fact get this to work just as you said. I was simply approaching it the wrong way. By adding 1/2 the specific classes KValue into the kUserRanks, it produced the results I needed that didn't apply it across the hero. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.
Kendall DM (or any), could you clarify the code you used to "make this work"? As the thread mentions and your determinations, adding a skill is pretty straight forward, but I need to create some that are cross-class, specifically languages that would be more difficult to learn. Using Skills would seem the easiest approach except not knowing how to make them cross-class and thus more difficult to master. I think yours is the solution I am needing.
Thanks for the response in advance

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 20th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Thread Bump.... Still trying to figure this out..any help is appreciated

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2018, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Thread Bump.... Still trying to figure this out..any help is appreciated
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want what Kendall did, then the script he posted above looks like an eval rule:

Code:
@valid = 1
doneif (#levelcount[Bard] >= 1)

var genRanks as number
genRanks = (#totallevelcount[] + 3) / 2
if (#skillranks[kSpeakLang] > genRanks) then
@message = "Skill " & hero.child[kSpeakLang].field[name].text & " has too many ranks for a general skill."
@valid = 0
endif
PS. If you just want a new skill to be cross-class, then you don't need to do anything. All skills are cross-class unless a class is assigned that class as a class skill.

Last edited by Sendric; September 21st, 2018 at 04:56 AM.
Sendric is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 21st, 2018, 06:08 AM
Sendric, Thanks For Rapid Response.... there was a short between the floor and the keyboard....

When adding more language types (in this case there is a series of gestures and visual markers ) unique to The World of Greyhawk's "Gnarley Rangers" that allow them to mark a trail warning of dangers or things nearby. As this is only learnable from a specific type of Ranger I wanted to set the degree of difficulty up a notch.

BUTTTTT I had forgotten that when setting up other campaign specific languages to show as selections on the Personal tab, I had duplicated the list in both the languages and skills tabs in the editor user file. I was adding this particular "secret language" on the wrong tab oooopppps...

Thanks Again

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote