Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Noir has everyone having the poverty hindrance. It should be automatically added to every character when the setting is chosen, or at least be a 'free' hindrance.
Instead, it causes a 'to many hindrances' error.
kturock is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Are you adding the Poverty hindrance manually? If so you shouldn't be. The file is set up so that "Poverty" is the default state. It works correctly without having to add the Hindrance.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kturock

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
It's not lsited on the character sheet when it isn't manually chosen; either in the print preview or the normal console.
kturock is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 4th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I know. I had to do it that way but all of the effects of it are in play. So even though it doesn't show you can't pick Rich without getting Comfortable first, and so on. All the effects are there.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM
zarlor, if you're in a situation where you've "had to do it that way", do you want to tell me about what rules you're trying to implement, and maybe I can help you figure out a way to show this hindrance on all characters in a way that's more obvious to the end user?

I'm thinking that a Mechanic could be used to bootstrap this hindrance.
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM
From my original release notes: "Also the rules declare that all characters start with the Poverty hindrance. The problem is that if you take the Comfortable Edge it should just remove the Poverty Hindrance as its effect, but I've yet to find a good way to do that either. So instead the effects of the Poverty hindrance are applied to the character but the Hindrance is not listed on the sheet. Taking Comfortable will appropriately set starting cash to $150, though, and Rich and Filthy Rich also adjust money appropriately (as will Destitute.) So it's just something to be aware of that while the Poverty Hindrance doesn't show on the character sheet you ca rest assured that the effects are still applied appropriately."

In other words I tried to do it as a bootstrap but I couldn't then find a way to delete a Hindrance from within the program.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Can you hide the hindrance with tags?

Looking at the hindrance table in tab_edges.dat, looks like the answer's currently no.

I'll post a thread in the changes/enhancements thread to explain to CapedCrusader how he can modify things so that this is an option (I apologize - I'm way behind on a project for Pathfinder and can't currently take the time to find everything that needs to be changed myself). Once that's done, you'll be able to put a script on Comfortable that assigns a tag like Hide.Hindrance to Poverty, and while that tag is present, the Poverty Hindrance isn't shown anywhere.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
You know, I think he did do something like that for us on something else, but i can't remember what it was right now... he may have some idea, though. Of course that will mean having to restructure the Noir file but I think that won't be a particular problem. Will something like a Hide.Hindrance tag also hide the effects? If not I suppose everything could stay as is and I'd just be creating a Hindrance only to make it show in the sheet, which is fine. Just curious how I'll need to approach it all once it's done.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
If poverty has a script, you'll need to look at that script to see if there's a test for a disabling tag already built into it. If not, you'd need to change the script so that it tests for the presence of that tag, and doesn't run the rest of the script if it's there.

Alternatively, yes, the Poverty hindrance you're bootstrapping can be a fake that doesn't actually do anything, and isn't the one users would normally be purchasing.
Mathias is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Oh, I see... yeah, I think the second way would be the way I would go. Less to do or worry about in terms of potential interactions that way. Thanks!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote