Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

jerrycnh

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:42 PM
So I'm using the imminent release of Realm Works as an excuse to take my old game world of twelve years, which has been abused and converted through three systems and mangled by tons of history, and kick it out the window in favor of a new world. And I've decided since the Realm Works money is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm eager to start worldbuilding that I can productively use the time by doing some overland mapmaking. Trouble is, not sure which mapmaker I want to use.

Here's what I know:

I like the idea of a map that I can overlay a grid on, make each grid spot a coordinate, and then make child maps zoomed in on each coordinate to describe features. This would allow me to declare each hex (or square) to constitute one day's journey by foot, 1/3rd day's journey by mount, and give me good pacing regarding how far away any point is from any other point in the game. Hexographer seems great for that, but it has a few minor problems that are making me less satisifed, most significant being that I want something with maybe 10% more detail in it's implementation.

What are you guys using or planning on using?
jerrycnh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Campaign Cartographer is good, even if it is a little bit expensive.

No idea how it'll work in with Realm Works.
DMG is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old November 7th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Campaign Cartographer

Pricey, but you can create some stunning maps. Plenty of add-ons.

You can create world maps, city maps, dungeon maps, starship maps and more. Also has a support forum.

Hexographer is a Java based app that runs in the browser. It creates Hex based maps. It is free with the option to upgrade.

Dungeonographer is also a Java based app. For creating dungeons and medieval type building. Again, has the option to upgrade.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM
I use Campaign Cartographer almost exclusively. Almost all of my games are via forums these days, so I convert my maps to .jpg or .png for that. I know RW will handle both of those formats.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old November 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I too use Campaign Cartographer. Also, if you look on you-tube for "joe sweeney mapping" you can find some quick tutorial videos.

Note: I have no affiliation with Campaign Cartographer nor with Joe Sweeney
Mmurphy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
My recommendation is to look at what folks are making over in the Map-Making community on G+. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...74940532146183 should get you there.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Another nod to CC and the Annuals.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:22 PM
In terms of raw power and capability, Campaign Cartographer is excellent. The caveat to keep in mind is that it's not cheap - far from it - and there is a very steep learning curve involved. So adopting CC means a non-trivial investment of both money and time. If all you want is 10% more than Hexographer/Dungeonographer, you might find that CC is way more than you bargained for.

I miss Dundjinni, which struck a reasonable balance between power and complexity for my tastes. Alas, it's gone the way of the Dodo...

The suggestion above regarding the map-making community on G+ is a great one.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old November 7th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I love using Campaign Cartographer myself. Though I really need to sit down and figure out how to use it again.

There is also Astrosythisis for 3D star charts, not that I have used this alot either, but it is possible to create a star chart from an excel file so you could tinker with it and use positioning from real world or which ever made up universe it is in.

Working on - SW RPG d6 or add this source Update Souce and SW RPG FFG and More FFG SW not working yet
Author of Realms Works Guides
Blog writer at thedarkelf007.home.blog/
thedarkelf007 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old November 8th, 2013, 12:09 AM
A while ago I rinsed an insane amount of money on Campaign Cartographer and the majority of the expansions. It is, as others have said, excellent, expensive, and tricky to master. I consider it to be well worth the price I paid, though. The only downside is that you pretty much have to use it to maintain your skills. The end result is truly amazing maps, though.
Chemlak is offline   #10 Reply With Quote