Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old October 2nd, 2019, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
8. Have you considered opening the code to the community?

We have discussed it at length but won’t be doing so at this time. Our original vision included evolving Realm Works and Hero Lab both to a point where we could more fully integrate them and blur the lines between the two products. While we don’t currently have the resources to do this, we still absolutely plan to bring some of the key capabilities from Realm Works into Hero Lab. Additionally, the commercial framework used in the Realm Works UI costs thousands of dollars and anyone wanting to work on Realm Works would need to purchase that framework to begin working with the product, making it unlikely that much good would come from it.
If the HLC team isn't even paying attention to things that break a heavily used feature of RW I have my doubts about the integration of the tools. I also predict that people will be uninterested in paying for a combined campaign manager/character manager. This especially applies if that means HLO.

As to the 3rd party libraries used in RW, the first thing an open source project would do is strip out all of that stuff and replace it with open source equivalents. Qt, or equivalent, for the UI elements. I'm sure some research will turn up a diagramming package.

I understand that this is Rob's dream app but if it isn't working as a business let the community turn it into something that fulfills both the goals that were initially set for it and to add the features that would make it so much better for the dedicated users.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #81 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 2nd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
One point: the Kickstarter advertised the use of custom calendars. Without that, the "completion of the Realm Works Kickstarter" is not accomplished.
Yeah, that happens with Kickstarters. The product they delivered contained most of what they described and it has been far more successful than many Kickstarters I've seen, especially software projects.

This is the risk of Kickstarter and is why I generally avoid software products on Kickstarter.

You have no recourse besides venting on a bulletin board.

Perhaps is LWD ran their first kickstarter for RW with a more modest scope and conducted subsequent Kickstarters to fun additional functionality, we wouldn't be in the current situation. Not sure. But at this time, there is no point in going on about the KS being fulfilled or not. Doesn't matter at this point.

Personally, I more than got my $60 from this program and I expect to get a few more years of good use out of it.

Putting all their efforts on HLO seems like the right business decision, even if it means the products I love are put on ice.

I wish the LWD team the best.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #82 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old October 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
YARPS looks promising, but updates seem far and few between, looking at their facebook page. So if and when it releases... unknown to me.
Yarps is currently in closed beta.
It will be released in open beta and launched on kickstarter in this month, as soon as the current beta testers will have "approved" the last feature that has just been introduced.

Last edited by Cammagno; October 2nd, 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Cammagno is offline   #83 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post

Putting all their efforts on HLO seems like the right business decision, even if it means the products I love are put on ice.
I disagree. There are many of us that don't or can't use HLO because we don't play one of the systems supported on it. I purchase HLC authoring version with the hopes of adding the systems I play into it. The coding is all over the place so that trying to figure it out is next to impossible. I gave up on it and actually learned a little PDF Javascript and programmed my own character generator.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #84 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old October 3rd, 2019, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
Yarps is currently in closed beta.
It will be released in open beta and launched on kickstarter in this month, as soon as the current beta testers will have "approved" the last feature that has just been introduced.
An interesting alternative, thanks for making a mention of it. I'll be watching this one closely, though I'm a bit burned out on 99% of Kickstarters out there.

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #85 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:24 AM
Was waiting for the Pirates Guide to Freeport to eventually be available in the Content Market and some other Savage Worlds stuff.

That development has stopped on Realm Works is a huge disappointment. I really wanted custom calendars and the player stuff like journals.

Wish LWD would make available some of in house the content importing tools that were used to make the current content at least.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #86 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:15 AM
I'd just like to say I appreciate how difficult this is for Rob, BJ, and the other people at Lone Wolf. I'm glad Rob took the time to put together the statement that he did, and then answering some more questions for the Realm Works community.

With all the talk about the future of Realm Works, talks about substitutes, etc...

Well, here I am with a game session planned for this evening, and I'm just going along as normal updating Realm Works. Still getting value out of it. I was sort of asking myself if I didn't already own Realm Works, and I was a new user coming here for the first time... would I buy Realm Works and get value out of it?

I think the answer to that is still "yes". Personally I'd be a lot less apprehensive about buying Realm Works rather than paying for an online subscription service. You buy it, work with it for 60 days, and you can get your money back if the tool doesn't work for you. The server subscription fee is so tiny that I barely count it. I pay more money for Google to host my family pictures.

Anyways, my GM life is still chugging along as per usual. I'm still enjoying the product.

I was playing a game of D&D the other day... and I'm not the GM for that game. Our GM has this CRAZY map of Forgotten Realms. He has advanced the timeline by 1000 years, some cities exist, some don't, we've got temples to visit, entrances and exits to the Underdark. All of this is written on this Forgotten Realms map using MS Paint.

I'm almost to the point of putting the map into Realm Works for my own use as a PLAYER because the map drives me up the wall and I can't remember what everything is. I need Realm Works pins and topics for all these locations!!
Murrdox is offline   #87 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old October 3rd, 2019, 04:40 PM
Like many others, I am saddened by the decision to stop development of RealmWorks, and part of that is the reality that some people have lost jobs, or had their jobs reduced. It must have been an incredibly difficult decision, but ultimately it will hopefully be beneficial to LWD, whom we are all customers of because we like their products (or saw their promise). That reality certainly helped keep in perspective my feelings about the cancellation of the RW project.

Like a number of other voices hear though, I do not feel at all ripped of by RealmWorks - it is still an incredibly useful tool at what it does. Far from perfect, but still excellent for my choices. If i did not already own it, I would still buy it.

I hope that in the longer term LWD is healthy as a company, and grows so that perhaps Rob can at some point in the future return to his baby!
stuartwaring is offline   #88 Reply With Quote
Zaeran

Old October 3rd, 2019, 08:27 PM
Any chance you're able to share the framework that was used?
Zaeran is offline   #89 Reply With Quote
BubbaDave

Old October 4th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThomason View Post
BUT, if the servers do eventually get turned off we won't be able to create new realms without some sort of update to sever the requirement to call home. Seems like that won't be a problem for the time being, and I hope that Rob and the LWD team wouldn't leave their customers out to dry if it came to that (at least, they've always struck me as a stand up company that way).
If they do shut the servers down, I'm hoping they would at least give us a Save/Save As functionality.
BubbaDave is offline   #90 Reply With Quote