Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old September 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Is anyone else running into issues with statblocks? I keep getting an error message saying the data is too large, limit of 5,000 bytes. And these are low level NPC's....

I'd like some means of formatting statblocks to be more readable with highlighting, bold, underlines, etc. I really don't care if it is "standard" for the industry. Make your own RW standard, make it useful and robust, watch everyone adopt it because it just makes sense.

And I'd like to be able to see statblocks as a pulldown or something really fast rather than as a text page that loads. I can't see the other information about the NPC the way it is currently implemented which really makes it a lot less useful.
AEIOU is offline   #1
zarlor

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I've not run into issues with size, but I also do statblocks for Savage Worlds which are pretty short.

I believe the formatting abilities has been requested on the Feature Requests thread, and is definitely something I'd like to see implemented as well.

You might want to start a thread suggesting it show up as a pulldown or pop-up or the like, though. That could be helpful for not getting you too far removed from the rest of the data surrounding that statblock. Although if you use Hero Lab you kind of get that in a way now in the sense that it opens up Hero Lab so you've got a separate window in that sense. I like the idea, though!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2
Curmudgeonly

Old September 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I seem to be able to write to my heart's content in normal text fields, but I'm limited to 100 characters for any other field, including statblocks... which of course is simply no where near enough.

I hope they are planning on changing this.
Curmudgeonly is offline   #3
Mystic Lemur

Old September 7th, 2013, 09:33 PM
It seems to me the field was meant to be brief, with a more detailed information located in a linked file (HeroLab, .pdf, whatever). Currently, all I'm using my Statblocks for is name, alignment, gender, race, class, and level. For example:

Hurin, chaotic good male dwarf Barbarian 8
Mystic Lemur is offline   #4
AEIOU

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM
While I do use HL, I'd like to be able to see at a glance the NPC/creature/whatever without having to fire up another program.

Three options that I see:
1) HL needs to be modified to create a RW compatible shortened statblock
2) RW needs to support standard statblocks
3) RW needs to rename this snippet so as to not confuse users to something like Really-Short-Sort-Of-Stat-Grouping-That-Is-Really-Short so we know it's not really a statblock like we are familiar with in every other incarnation, but rather something new and less than useful.

Ok, it's pre-release and the features are being tweaked. This is probably a stub that will get expanded upon for release and I'm just being a butt-head. In the end though, the statblock field really needs to be large enough to hold standard statblocks, pretty please.
AEIOU is offline   #5
zarlor

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Oh wait, you guys must be talking about the little text box next to the statblock. That's just for a short descriptive text or maybe a name. The actual statblock is pulled up by hitting that little Play-button-looking-icon that opens up a full page for entering text. That page needs formatting allowed (although it looks like it will accept formatted text if you paste it, it just loses it when you close it), for sure, but it should easily fit any size statblock you need. The problem there, I think, is that it doesn't show you some form of statblock w/in the rest of the snippet flow, you have to hit that button to see it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #6
AEIOU

Old September 8th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Oh wait, you guys must be talking about the little text box next to the statblock. That's just for a short descriptive text or maybe a name.
Nope. I mean the statblock itself. It's not large enough for most of the low level NPC and mob statblocks I have created with HL and copied as plain text. It can only get more problematic as spell lists and gear increase at higher levels.
AEIOU is offline   #7
zarlor

Old September 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Ah, gotcha. Sorry. I do forget about spell lists since we don't need those in Savage Worlds.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8
AEIOU

Old September 8th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Here is a sample that will not import from clipboard into RW statblock for others to test out but it WILL paste in with a copy/paste. So perhaps the issue is with the clipboard importation. This is from the RotRL community material (brilliant work by those contributing) in encounter area B13-Cathedral of Wrath.

Erylium CR 4
XP 1200
Female Demon, Quasit Witch 3
CE Tiny Outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +9
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 19, touch 17, flat-footed 14 (+4 Dex, +2 size, +2 natural, +1 dodge)
hp 35 (3d10+3d6+9); fast healing 2
Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +6
DR 5/good or cold iron; Immune electricity, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft., flight (50 feet, perfect)
Melee +1 Returning Cold Iron Dagger +11 (1d2/19-20/x2) and
Bite (Demon, Quasit) +10 (1d4-1/x2) and
Claw x2 (Demon, Quasit) +10 x2 (1d3-1/x2)
Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks poison (dc 12)
Spell-Like Abilities
At will—Detect Good (At will), Detect Magic (At will), Invisibility (At will)
1/day—Cause Fear 30 ft radius (1/day)
1/week—Commune (1/week)
Witch Spells Prepared (CL 3):
2 (2/day) Hold Person (DC 14), Summon Monster II
1 (3/day) Summon Monster I, Ray of Enfeeblement (DC 13), Command (DC 13)
0 (at will) Touch of Fatigue (DC 12), Bleed (DC 12), Daze (DC 12), Dancing Lights
--------------------
TACTICS
--------------------
Before Combat Erylium becomes invisible as soon as she hears enemies approaching.
During Combat Although tough to hit and capable of healing from wounds quickly, Erylium remains something of a coward in a fight. She uses flight to maintain ranged superiority over foes, using spells like summon monster or hold person (aimed at the best-armored of her foes) in the first few rounds of combat. She uses her Tiny +1 cold iron returning dagger against foes once she runs out of spells, but if cornered, she fights with her claws and bite.
Morale If reduced to 5 hit points or fewer, Erylium becomes invisible and flees, waiting for her fast healing to fix her up before returning here to attack the PCs again.
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 13
Base Atk +4; CMB +6; CMD 16
Feats Combat Casting, Dodge, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +4 (+0 jump), Bluff +10, Fly +16, Intimidate +10, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Knowledge (planes) +8, Perception +9, Spellcraft +11, Stealth +21
Languages Abyssal, Thassilonian; telepathy (touch)
SQ +3 bonus on diplomacy, alternate form (su), deliver touch spells through familiar, empathic link with familiar, hexes (slumber [dc 13], tongues [3 minutes/day]), patron spells (shadow), share spells with familiar
Other Gear +1 Returning Cold Iron Dagger, Black silk gown, Obsidian unholy symbol of Lamashtu, Tiara, 85 GP of Valuables
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
+3 bonus on Diplomacy You gain the Alertness feat while your familiar is within arm's reach.
Alternate Form (Su) You can assume the form of a bat, monstrous centipede, toad or wolf.
Cause Fear 30 ft radius (1/day) (Sp) Cause Fear (DC 11) 1/day, 30 ft radius
Combat Casting +4 to Concentration checks to cast while on the defensive.
Commune (1/week) (Sp) Commune 1/week, ask 6 questions
Damage Reduction (5/cold iron or good) You have Damage Reduction against all except Good or Cold Iron attacks.
Damage Resistance, Acid (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (10) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su) Your familiar can deliver touch spells for you.
Detect Good (At will) (Sp) As the spell. Caster level 6th
Detect Magic (At will) (Sp) As the spell. Caster level 6th
Empathic Link with Familiar (Su) You have an empathic link with your Arcane Familiar.
Fast Healing 2 (Ex) You heal damage every round if you have > 1 Hp.
Flight (50 feet, Perfect) You can fly!
Immunity to Electricity You are immune to electricity damage.
Immunity to Poison You are immune to poison.
Invisibility (At will) (Sp) As the spell, self only. Caster level 6th
Poison (DC 12) (Ex) Poison—Injury; save Fort DC 12; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Dex; cure 2 consecutive saves.
Share Spells with Familiar Can cast spells with a target of "You" on the familiar with a range of touch.
Slumber (3 rds) (DC 13) (Su) Foe in 30 ft falls asleep for duration, or until damaged or roused by ally (Will neg).
Telepathy (Touch) (Su) Communicate telepathically if the target has a language.
Tongues (Comprehend Languages) (3 minutes/day) (Su) Understand any spoken language, as comprehend languages.
--------------------
Although the Catacombs of Wrath are now open and Erylium is free to leave, her thousands of years spent as the catacombs’ queen have left her with a bit of agoraphobia and the senseless worry that if she leaves her catacombs, someone could move in and steal her crown. As a result, she still spends nearly all of her time here.

When the PCs enter the room, the quasit flies into a rage. She shrieks, accuses the PCs of “daring to intrude upon the Mother’s sanctum,” and slashes her own wrist with her dagger, allowing some of her blood to drip into the minor runewell and form a sinspawn. As she does, the minor runewell’s glow diminishes noticeably. A DC 20 Sense Motive allows a character to note the sudden look of worry that Erylium gets when she sees this. She does not create any more sinspawn after the first one.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.
AEIOU is offline   #9
Spence

Old September 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Wow. That isn't a stat block. That is complete character/NPC write-up.

Stat blocks are mini blocks of minimum information that could fit on an index card.

Or, gaming has really changed since my day and I am woefully out of date
Spence is offline   #10