Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old June 7th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Roll 20 and FG are VTT's not character managers. WotC has licensed no character managers except dndbeyond. They may be letting the VTT's sell their products but dndbeyond is still the exclusive character manager.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #461 Reply With Quote
Lkj

Old June 7th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Roll 20 and FG are VTT's not character managers. WotC has licensed no character managers except dndbeyond. They may be letting the VTT's sell their products but dndbeyond is still the exclusive character manager.
They are VTT's that use the licensed data for rules reference. I'd say one of DDB's primary utilities is rules reference. There's obvious overlap.

But fair enough, there's not currently another character builder with licensed data. It's bit of a fuzzy distinction, since you can directly drag licensed material into characters in FG and Roll20. I mean, they do both have character managers.

I'll agree they are not very good character builders. That said, Roll20 is rolling out a character builder. I don't think it currently has licensed material in it, as it's in a prototype stage, but I'm willing to bet they'll have it when they make a final release.

Let's put it this way-- It's possible that DDB has an 'exclusive' license that precludes anyone else from creating a character builder. But I doubt it, given how the other licensees are basically providing a lot of the same functionality (in terms of rules reference). Roll20 will be the proof eventually.

At any rate, I was responding to what I thought was the implication that WotC had not licensed 5e material to anyone else, when they clearly have. But it's not worth the argument about whether DDB has an exclusive slice of a particular use of that data.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Cheers,
AD
Lkj is offline   #462 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old June 7th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Honestly, historically, non-IP sci-fi games have been niche and small market. Even the established universe products seem to have a revolving door on publishers, versions and lifetimes - how many Star Wars version have come out so far? Which Traveller version is your favorite?

According to Roll20's Q4 Orr Report for 2017, around 1% of games and gamers are playing Starfinder although the game did only release in August 2017 and they say that it's increasing in popularity.

Still if only 1% of one of the most popular VTTs is playing a game, I can't imagine it's a huge number for the rest of the world either.
This is what that report says about Starfinder:
Quote:
Pathfinder turned a corner as well, swinging back into positive growth with 9,856 active games. Pathfinder player numbers have grown steadily each quarter, and we predict this number will rise even further in the very near future. Paizo’s other major game, Starfinder, also continues to rise in ranks, going from the 15th most played system on Roll20 to the 11th
Not bad for a new game being around for a little over 4 months, will be interested to see the next report.
Toblakai is offline   #463 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old June 23rd, 2018, 06:21 AM
Just popped in to look for some solution on a situation I have and found this thread. As expected, no CM and while I didn't read the whole thread (have a FG session starting in less than 2 hours), did see some things.

BJ - thanks for update. Do NOT get fired, please. thxkbai

FG interface? Count me in

When it gets here it gets here. This is, still, the best campaign manager I'm aware of and I will continue to use it as much as I can. My gaming time has decreased anyhow, so that helps.

That being said, while I'm as frustrated as everyone I just want to ask everyone be kind. The world needs more kindness.

Cheers!

(P.S. Calendars!)

Gary
Assistant Calendar Champion (retired)

GM: D&D 3.5 homegrown Local/Small Scale campaign
GMing blog: http://www.undiscoveredworlds.com
weogarth is offline   #464 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 23rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
That being said, while I'm as frustrated as everyone I just want to ask everyone be kind. The world needs more kindness.

(P.S. Calendars!)
+1 to both .... note .. had to modify the font size .... just in case it was overlooked... hehhe
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #465 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 25th, 2018, 07:00 PM
*facepalm at calendars* Hahah! Thanks for the laughs and kindness. The world can always use more kindness. I promise I'm doing my best to not get fired and accomplish all the things I can!

We're still working on the back and forth with Paizo to make everything all good with the API but we're getting closer to having it worked out now that they have more time to help.

Also of note, we will have the 5E SRD at launch, which we intend to make available to everyone free of charge. So that's something to look forward to. : )
BJ is offline   #466 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old June 25th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Huzzah this is excellent news!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #467 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old June 26th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Also a +1 for this (and the note for more kindness)!

Calendars are my personal focus... definitely waiting on those.

Expecting more good news soon...
Grey Mage is offline   #468 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old June 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I wish there was some way to show how often the lack of a calendar system affects my use of RW. I sometimes think its because my main realm is all about the back stories but every fantasy campaign eventually sends the party into an abandoned ruin which calls for a back story which means a calendar.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #469 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old June 27th, 2018, 10:36 PM
+1 to the above from me, too.

Working on the back story of my homebrew space fantasy setting is extremely clumsy without proper calendar features...

a) ...for the reasons kbs666 already mentioned.
b) ...since the main focus of the current campaign is on a different planet than the one, where its nation arose, meaning different solar cycles etc.

And yes, respect and kindness enable better understanding and discussions.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #470 Reply With Quote