Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mmurphy

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:35 AM
Is there a way to move a snippit so it shows a hierarchical?

Snippet: There are 14 Gods, each with a specific job. Without the God, the job does not get done.
.......Snippet: Niagra, Goddess of water.

..............Snippet: Without Niagra, there is no water anywhere.

..............Snippet: Niagra is responsible for how and which direction rivers flow (rivers can literally flow in both directions at once, up hills, etc) depending on her will.

......Snippet: Odin, The traveling God

...............Snippet: Odin is responsible for the overall placements of objects upon the world such as lakes, forests, mountains as well as abandoned castles, dungeons, and cities.

...............Snippet: Without Odin, the world would be a featureless, flat rock.

I want to be able to organize my snippets so one only exists as an extension to the higher snippet. I plan to have some data repeated. When I created Niagra as a God, all these snippets did not need to be organized in this way, but I am working on a home page and to make sure everyone understands the power/meaning of the gods, I want the home page to have the same basic data but better organized (the players see the home page, the characters (with the correct skills) would see the page on Niagra.
Mmurphy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:42 AM
Couldn't you make each god a section, and then put the snippits under them?
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:52 AM
Got to agree with Aaron, there.

Each god should be a topic (perhaps contained within a "Pantheon" topic) of the Entity type, and each god will then get their own snippets.
Chemlak is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, this is the plan for the Gods topic. I am working on the 'home' page that the "players" will see as an overview of the world. The Gods topic will only exist to those 'characters' with the skill to know what each god does.

I am also using this question as my base line. I think of lists as:
A)
...1)
...2)
......a)
......b)
...3)
B)
...1)

If this is not possible, I am fine with that. I probably organize things differently than most. I am starting to put detailed information in but am not able to actually keep some of the information limited to the previous snippet so I will have to just make the snippet longer and make all the information about (in this example A-2 'a' and 'b') all formatted into the 'A-2' snippet.
Mmurphy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
The hierarchy is what sections are for. So you would have a section at level A with 0 or more snippets under it and then section at level 1 with 0 or more snippets, a section at 2, then again for a and for b, etc.
davidp is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
I think the issue is that the expected usage is 1 topic per deity, with another (a Group, perhaps) listing them (with links to open the individual topics for details).

What Mmurphy is describing (if I read correctly) is having all of this information in exactly one topic, ever. The details of each deity are not in related topics; they are in the sub-sections of the one "Deities" topic. So the sections/subsections are the same sections/subsection groups repeated over and over. Or, he'd have to create a custom topic with 14 sections that each repeat the same sub-sections for 14 deities.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
I too would recommend each god in its own section and a group called Pantheon or Gods to put them all in. That way you can refer to them in other places and link to them easily. Temples, dungeons, books, etc. that name a specific deity can link back to the topic that way. This could allow the players to learn about esoteric gods, demonic entities with god-like abilities and cults that think they worship gods.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thank you everyone, I was hoping I was missing a 'how-to'. I was not.

I understand the recommendations of 'each in it's own section' and I already have this. I wanted a quick section that I could reference during RP'ing so I was not 'bouncing' between topics. In this example, I was looking for 'What God is in charge of Gravity' or 'what God creates and controls the weather' without having to bounce between 14 sections. Note the examples of what God/Goddess controls gravity and weather are known to me, I used these as my example because they are easiest to understand (I guess in most RP games, Gods are just there to annoy characters). Continuing this example, if I forgot what God controls gravity, I would have to stop and 'click' each god until I find the snippet that reminded me. I would prefer it to be on one page so I can scan that one page quickly and for me, scanning a snippet that talks about jobs and duties and then the 'sub-snippet' of jobs and duties would be faster still.

Thank you.
Mmurphy is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
I'm putting all of that info into the group/container entry for "Deities". It lists all the deities as separate snippets so I can reveal each to players as appropriate. And it has links to each of them so I can look at details.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dakadin

Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:08 PM
Could you create a topic (maybe use Concept) for each of the gods archetypes? Then you could put a snippet about the god that is in control of it in the topic. This would create links back and forth so you could look things up by the archetype or by the god's name.
Dakadin is offline   #10 Reply With Quote