Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Quintain

Old October 15th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Was considering the idea of "situational" bonuses for certain things, that is currently implemented as simple text on the item for the most part.

However, in Pathfinder there is the concept of "conditions" that you can check that will apply certain modifiers as long as those conditions exist.

Isn't a "condition" largely synonymous with "situation"? Could the condition concept be expanded to encompass or would that get out of hand?
Quintain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Our design for the Conditions table was to list all of the Conditions that are detailed in Appendix 2: Conditions (core rulebook pg. 656). If you want to add other things there, you can.

If that's not what you meant by your suggestion, then please clarify your meaning.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TheIronGolem

Old October 15th, 2017, 09:25 AM
There are definitely times when it's debatable whether a given ability should be implemented using situational bonuses or by making it an activated ability.

Personally, I have a bias towards activated abilities, simply because I like using HL as a "live character sheet" and prefer it to accurately reflect the character's state whenever possible.

But at the same time, there are situations that come up with some frequency but are still too fleeting to be worth ticking a box on and then immediately off. AC and save bonuses are like this a lot; if my dwarf is fighting two ogres and five goblins then I wouldn't want to be constantly turning his Defensive Training bonus on and off every time I get attacked. So I get why that's situational.

Basically, the more fleeting the qualifying condition is, the more likely it is that situationals are the way to go.
TheIronGolem is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old October 15th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Our design for the Conditions table was to list all of the Conditions that are detailed in Appendix 2: Conditions (core rulebook pg. 656). If you want to add other things there, you can.

If that's not what you meant by your suggestion, then please clarify your meaning.
My meaning was more akin to what TheIronGolem was stating. However, implementation-wise, I think you would have an ability that would show up on the stat block if the "situation" were checked instead of having to mouse-over to get the text of the situational, the text would show up in the stat-block with whatever calculations needed already in place.

As an example: I just make a quick ranger. Favored Enemy Evil outsiders, undead and orcs, two favored terrains, underground and forest. Has point blank shot, precise shot and rapid shot.

Under the stat block, the extra attack from rapid shot is there, modifier for point blank is there (once activated). Under special attacks, favored enemies show as simple addition modifiers.

I think that instead of the simple addition modifiers, an addition line for each modifier (list determined by either activated abilities or conditionals) could show for each with the modifiers already calculated in.

This would make the statblock a bit more dynamic as well as simpler to read/use in game. If conditionals were to do the same for other combat related stats, (AC, saves, etc) referencing of those modifiers would be easier.

IMO anyway. A suggestion.
Quintain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 15th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
I think that instead of the simple addition modifiers, an addition line for each modifier (list determined by either activated abilities or conditionals) could show for each with the modifiers already calculated in.
With just your example list of conditional/optional bonuses, you would end up with a massive amount of additional lines once you consider all the permutations of the different abilities.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old October 18th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
With just your example list of conditional/optional bonuses, you would end up with a massive amount of additional lines once you consider all the permutations of the different abilities.
Agreed. That is why they would be activated. You can show/hide them as you desire.
Quintain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote