Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old August 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Has anyone else tried adding individual followers to a character.

I have a party of six, with one character having 12 followers (one being a cohort).

When I try and load this datafile, it takes about 5-10 minutes for Hero Lab to load up.

Otherwise is there a way to do generic followers, as I have another 17 followers to add to this character?
thedarkelf007 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
thundershot

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Wait, is there a way to do followers and cohorts without just making another character in the file?
thundershot is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundershot View Post
Wait, is there a way to do followers and cohorts without just making another character in the file?
Go to tab "Other"

Select "Click to add new Mount or Hireling"

Choose the Hireling option.

Now this has attached a new NPC to the character.

They appear on the side Dashboard in green under the character they belong to.

Go into the character (either by dashboard or the edit icon for Hireling entry)

Now you can edit the NPC as a character.

For Cohorts I set them at character builds 1 level less than PC, and followers at 1 level below cohorts to help make the player characters better overall.

PC 25 point buy, Cohort 20 point buy, Follower 15 point buy.

Now you can make it any race / class you want and add equipment.

Note: all equipment for hirelings are listed as part of the equipment gp total of the character they belong to. And when you mouse over the equipment value it is added to that part of the list.

(mouse over works on a lot of things in the tool to display information if you have not tried that yet)

The main downside to this is it does slow the program down.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Old August 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I forgot to add that when printing the character sheets, followers are added as statblocks to the end of a character they belong to.

Note: be careful of printing all characters in the portfolio as it will generate a full character sheet for each entry in the Other section of the characters. I have printed all the followers on more than one occasion

Also when looking at the stat blocks of a NPC none of the equipment or gold is listed in the entry (I should remember to log that as a bug)
thedarkelf007 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Illrigger

Old August 18th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I don't see how this is surprising in any way - a follower is another full character added to the portfolio, and portfolios load all the characters in them when you load them. Seems obvious that the more info you have to load, the longer it's going to take, and eventually you're going to hit memory ceiling issues. With 12 followers, you're loading 13 full characters, each of which is taking an exponentially longer amount of time to load.

I'd recommend just doing separate NPC portfolios for the followers so you can load them and print them as needed.
Illrigger is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
gravedancer

Old October 18th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkelf007 View Post

For Cohorts I set them at character builds 1 level less than PC, and followers at 1 level below cohorts to help make the player characters better overall.
As a side note, this is an improper usage of followers and cohorts. Leadership feat specifically states that regardless of leadership score, cohorts will be at least 2 levels lower than their master (so if you take leadership feat at 7, you get no more than a level 5 cohort even if you had a leadership score of 15 which would say you get a level 10 cohort). Followers are specifically designated as being mostly levels 1 through 3 (see Table:Leadership for number of followers and level). Follower level caps out at 6, but thats with such an insanely high leadership score that you pretty much have to be at or near lvl 20 character level to achieve it even with modifiers. And those followers (other than cohort) never gain levels.
gravedancer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote