Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Barahoote

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to programming / editing Hero Labs and have a few questions.

I was wondering if anyone has a way to permanently change a character's size. I have a race of elves in my game that for the most part are the same as regular elves with the notable exception that they are diminutive rather than medium. Their stats should be adjusted accordingly. I was thinking that the easiest way would to be to copy the elves race and just change the size to Diminutive then save them as a new race, but there is a lot to it and i am not certain everything saved correctly. Thought about a shrinking spell that could just be on them, but read a few things in the forums that make it seem that is not the best way. Does anyone have any helpful advice.

Also in my game I have a house rule that at first level (and first level only) PCs and special NPCs get con VALUE added to hit points rather than con adjustment. So a rogue with a 14 con would have 22 hp at first instead of 10 hp. At low level this makes for a significant improvement to survival. This should of course adjust retroactively as well. If that same thief at level 18 has an inherent +5 and an enhanced +6 con for a net Con score of 25 then his hp at first should be 35 and his total hp should equal 35 + 17d8 + 119.

That is a significant change to a core mechanic and I am reticent to rush in without consulting the experts.

Thank you everyone in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Barahoote is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EldritchWeaver

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:59 PM
For the elves, doing what you have done is the correct way. Don't forget to give the new version a name and a tag, which allows you to discriminate against the old elves when choosing this race. The only other way is to add for each character of that race a size adjustment manually, which is error prone.

The other issue is above my knowledge.
EldritchWeaver is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Barahoote

Old September 6th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Thank you. I was not sure if that was all it took. I have them saved as DimElf for now, so it is unique...

Is there anyone else that can add anything about the hp adjustment.
Barahoote is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Barahoote

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barahoote View Post
This should of course adjust retroactively as well. If that same thief at level 18 has an inherent +5 and an enhanced +6 con for a net Con score of 25 then his hp at first should be 35 and his total hp should equal 35 + 17d8 + 119.
Those 35's should be 33. I could not find a way to edit the post.
Barahoote is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:21 PM
The toughness feat adds extra Hp. Use that as a start, and calculate how much should be added by looking at the value of Con and subtracting the modifier of Con.
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Barahoote

Old September 7th, 2016, 05:44 AM
For right now I have gone in to the "Adjustments" section and just added a bonus HP amount. This of course will require readjusting every time the character changes their con score.

Thank you though.

Anyone else have ideas?
Barahoote is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old September 7th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barahoote View Post
Anyone else have ideas?
Ideas for what? Aaron already gave you the approach to use...
Azhrei is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 7th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
Ideas for what? Aaron already gave you the approach to use...
I think Barahoote is a relatively new user, so just "the approach" probably was not clear enough.

Barahoote, as you've guessed, the more the change hits the "core" of the system, the more difficult it is. Adding a Feat is trivial in comparison to altering the way hit points are calculated.

You would probably need to add a Mechanic, using the hint Aaron provided to look at how the Toughness Feat changes hit points to apply the same method with different values on your Mechanic.

It is also possible that the change is to something so central that you may need to look at the Authoring Kit to make a new variant game system, rather than modifying the Pathfinder game system.

If you have not already reviewed the various tutorials on the Editor, I would suggest starting there. Also, be careful with "Replaces Thing" and "Preclude" as new users have discovered these can have more far-reaching effects than expected.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 8th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I think Barahoote is a relatively new user, so just "the approach" probably was not clear enough.

Barahoote, as you've guessed, the more the change hits the "core" of the system, the more difficult it is. Adding a Feat is trivial in comparison to altering the way hit points are calculated.

You would probably need to add a Mechanic, using the hint Aaron provided to look at how the Toughness Feat changes hit points to apply the same method with different values on your Mechanic.

It is also possible that the change is to something so central that you may need to look at the Authoring Kit to make a new variant game system, rather than modifying the Pathfinder game system.

If you have not already reviewed the various tutorials on the Editor, I would suggest starting there. Also, be careful with "Replaces Thing" and "Preclude" as new users have discovered these can have more far-reaching effects than expected.
Right, a mechanic would probably be the best way. But he'd still need to study how Toughness does it's thing to make a script for the mechanic. I don't believe this is anything which would require knowledge of Authoring Kit stuff.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote