Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

NeoEvaX

Old February 6th, 2017, 06:42 PM
So... I read the new news from WL. I think it makes a lot of sense for Paizo to do this, but it is a bit frustrating..

I have been signed up for their subscriptions for a short while. I have really enjoyed getting their physical documents as well as PDFs. But I have not been doing that for too long.

I bought both of their Adventure Path's that have been Anniversary Editions. Both Rise of the Runelords and their newer ones. But I bought them both at a local Game Shop. Which is usually a really nice thing to do. They tend to cost more but are bought local, which is really nice. But it does not come with any PDFs..

So for me to get the, hopefully soon to be released, content market for Realm Works, I will need to buy the PDF for Rise of the Runelords? If I had bought it straight from Paizo I would already have the PDF, but since I bought it at a local shop I don't get it?

Is there any process to get those PDFs if we already own the physical books? Even if they where recently bought? Or am I just out of luck and need to buy the $41.99 pdf along with whatever it costs on the content market.
NeoEvaX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old February 6th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I did a bit of digging around. I found this forum post: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q00l?Di...cal-copy-owned

Just disappointed, more than anything. Having just bought them. Well time to go buy PDFs I guess
NeoEvaX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 6th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Should have bought the Pathfinder Humble Bundle packs...

If I had known this was the stance I would have stocked up just in case.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 6th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Can't say I'm terribly pleased with this and I own PDF's of all or almost all of the Paizo products I'm likely to want to buy for RW. One glaring exception is the CRB. I've stuck with my physical copy of that for years. Now I'll need to get a PDF for no reason at all.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 6th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Can't say I'm terribly pleased with this and I own PDF's of all or almost all of the Paizo products I'm likely to want to buy for RW. One glaring exception is the CRB. I've stuck with my physical copy of that for years. Now I'll need to get a PDF for no reason at all.
I am in a similar bucket, I have the revamped Crimson Throne, which I was waiting for the CM to launch to see if it was part of it, and I read this and it appears now I have to buy the PDF and the RW package, and the Herolab package, so that's another 100US? (so about 150 AUD).
Happydevil43 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Really surprised that Paizo is not showing their FLGS any love.

Already there is not much reason to buy books from a brick and mortar game store, due to their generally being cheaper on-line. If you are getting free PDFs as well AND if you need to buy the PDFs to get other digital content, well it gets REALLY hard to stick to your guns and support the FLGS.

WoTC at least does things like the alternate Volo's cover that you can only get at a FLGS (and it is an awesome cover). If WoTC were smart they would give a discount on digital content (Fantasy Grounds, Realm Works, Rolld20) if you buy the book and perhaps over an even better discount if you buy from a FLGS. That would encourange the FLGS to favor WoTC over Paizo for events and table space.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydevil43 View Post
I am in a similar bucket, I have the revamped Crimson Throne, which I was waiting for the CM to launch to see if it was part of it, and I read this and it appears now I have to buy the PDF and the RW package, and the Herolab package, so that's another 100US? (so about 150 AUD).
! that reminds me. The only versions of Rise of the Runelords I own are the original printed modules and the anniversary hardcover, which I bought at my FLGS so no PDF. Looks like its $42 to get a PDF of something I already have 2 copies of in order to get it for RW.

I love that AP and have run parties through it several times in the decade since it came out. There is simply no way I'm spending $42 to get the PDF just so I can get the RW version at likely another $30.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
! that reminds me. The only versions of Rise of the Runelords I own are the original printed modules and the anniversary hardcover, which I bought at my FLGS so no PDF. Looks like its $42 to get a PDF of something I already have 2 copies of in order to get it for RW.

I love that AP and have run parties through it several times in the decade since it came out. There is simply no way I'm spending $42 to get the PDF just so I can get the RW version at likely another $30.
That's my feeling... I have Played it and am going to GM it for a group later in the year (once we finish the Giantslayer).

I am not sure what the differences are between the older versions and the Anniversary, but now that I seem to have a truckload of time on my hands, I can start entering the old ones manually.

It's very very disappointing, and I am hoping BJ and the team are going... Oh S***T at the backlash.
Happydevil43 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:48 AM
If you read between the lines in the announcement... they have already gone 'oh shit'...

I would wager they knew the reaction they would get and have been dreading putting out the update for that very reason.

Pathfinder was meant to be the good news story with the 5e crowd hiding in the corner grumbling.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I would wager they knew the reaction they would get and have been dreading putting out the update for that very reason.

I suspect your hypothesis is correct sir.

:-)
Happydevil43 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote