Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Fenris447

Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to implement Tireless Precision, a racial feature from GGTR's Vedalken (unchanged from this UA).

You pick proficiency in Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Performance, or Sleight of Hand. You also pick proficiency in any tool. For both, you get +1d4 on any checks with them.

Implementing the proficiency choices alone is super easy for races. But how could I display the situational bonus to both? Hover-over text? How would I tie that back to the user's selections?

I thought about an array with conditional bootstraps or tags, but I think I'd then have to add an array value for every single tool. That wouldn't be future-proof against any new tools that may be added to the game, and would be crazy time consuming to implement, too.

The easy way is to just, you know, not implement this. Just make it a standard feature on the Specials tab and implement the proficiencies like normal. But why do it the easy way when the hard way is more fun??

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 3rd, 2019, 01:12 PM
Take a look at the Skilled feat. Change to number from 3 to 2 and add a #Situational bonus of "+1d4" where required.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old April 5th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Maybe there's a deeper understanding of that feat's coding I don't understand. But it looks like it doesn't do much more than I could already do with a race by default. How would I get the situational bonus to apply to the selected tool and skill?

I also need to make sure it's limited to a single skill and a single tool.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Could you link me a copy of Tireless Precision's description? It not a Source I purchased on DnDBeyond.

Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old April 5th, 2019, 08:09 AM
You are proficient in one of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Performance, or Sleight of Hand. You're also proficient in one tool of your choice.

Whenever you make an ability check with the chosen skill or tool, roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the check's total.

I could do the skill as an array and bootstrap the proficiency and probably the situational bonus. The tools are harder, since there's more than 20+ tools (20 is the max for arrays, I think) and I would want it to be future proof, including any tools added to the game later on.

Fenris447 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Working on it atm.

Mergon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2019, 12:58 PM
The part I thought would be the easiest, the applying of the #Situational text is turning out to be a royal pain.

Pickign the appropriate skill & tools was easy once I remember how I had done it in the past. But for some reason @Situational is just not applying. Not sure why not. I've used it many times in the past without issues . . .

Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old April 5th, 2019, 01:08 PM
Are you able to generate a list of tools to pick from? I would imagine the situational would be some sort of eval script or bootstrap based on your selection from the list. But let's be honest, you know way more about programming this stuff than me at this point.

Fenris447 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2019, 01:10 PM
I currently have it set for all tools (Musical Instruments, Artisan Tools. Vehicles. etc.

Once I remembered how I'd done it, that was easy. The skills are set to the limited list in the description.

Mergon is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Strange!

I now have the #Situational text showing up on all instances of the selected skill. The same scripting should work on the selected tool also. However, it doesn't show up in the information boxes on the selected Tool. The information is propagating to the Situation field of all the appropriate Tool options. It just doesn't show the information . . .

Its got to be either a timing issue or a bug . . .

What's the best way to get you a copy of the file I've created to date?

Mergon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote