Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ogexam

Old May 19th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I really like the way the Pathfinder Society checkbox puts in a point buy system for the character and does other limitors as to what a PC can put on their character by disabling those feats/classes.

How can I create one of those?

I would like to create one for the tournament I run The Cheese Grinder.
I want to make HL the official product for all our players to use, and if we can have a simple 'check this box' and you know the character is legal for the tournament that would rock.

Can anybody help me on this? Is it possible to add one by a user? or is that hard coded into Herolabs?

www.thecheesegrinder.com
www.d20Pro.com
ogexam is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Each "checkbox" on the Configure Hero form corresponds to a "source" within Hero Lab. You can define your own sources to suit your own purposes if you wish. This is most easily achieved by simply assigning a source to a thing within the Editor. You can do that via the "Sources" entry at the bottom of the options for a thing in the Editor.

Please note that sources can be used both to govern behaviors and govern the availability of things. Users currently only have the ability to govern the availability of things, which is perfect for controlling access to material from sourcebook X (hence the term "source"). I'm not sure whether what you want to control, so I'm not sure whether the use of a custom source will achieve everything you want. You'll need to outline that in more detail before we can accurately say whether sources will let you accomplish your objectives.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ogexam

Old May 19th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I actually have a pretty detailed set of rules that are still being flushed out on The Cheese Grinder website uder Character Creation

Can you look that over and tell me what I can automate using Source?

The things that I would NEED are:
1. Which books they can use.
2. 40 Point point buy system
3. 100,000 gp to spend

Things I would like are:
1. Max hitpoints already calcuated
2. No more then 49k for a single item
3. Setting the number of levels they can purchase based on my Playing A Monster Rules
For instance a standard race level 11, a Half Dragon can be level 8, a Vampire level 3.

Once I have this Source created is it something I can easily just post on the website and give instructions like "copy X file into X location then use the checkbox"???

www.thecheesegrinder.com
www.d20Pro.com

Last edited by ogexam; May 19th, 2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added question
ogexam is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm afraid I don't know a way to enforce the books available.

The 40-point point-buy and 100,000 starting will require something called mechanics, which are in the Pathfinder files, but haven't been added to the editor (there're many functions for mechanics that need to be documented, and I haven't had time to do that yet). I should be able to get those added in the next week or two.

(Mechanics are picks that are automatically added to all characters - from there, you can write scripts that enter those settings).

The 49k individual item limits can't be enforced on individual items without overwriting each individual item to add a new prereq, but it should be possible to use the mechanic to test all the things that have been purchased for a character, and make sure that no item is over 49K. So they won't be greyed out in the menus, but there will be an error once it's selected.

By "Max hitpoints already calculated" do you mean you want the same thing as the "Max HP at New Levels" option in the "HP Options" section of the optional rules? If so, that should be achievable with the mechanic. If not, please tell me a little more about what you want to accomplish.

Since the d20 rules for level adjustments were never removed for templates and races, and it looks like your race and template options are re-instituting those rules, that's something you can start implementing without the mechanic. Let me ask Rob and Colen a question about how they'd recommend going about it, and I'll get back to you on exactly how to set that up.

Glancing over your rules, once I get mechanics set up, I can also help you override the attribute costs table and allow 3 feats.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ogexam

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:41 AM
The max hitpoints is just as you have it currently with max hitpoints at a new level.

Ok, mechanics sound, uhmmm, interesting, and sounds like it may have a little bit of a learning curve but I am up to figuring it out (hopefully we help). Let me know when I will be able to tinker with this stuff.

Think it can be done by Origins? If not I will use it at DragonCon then.

As for the over 49k, yeah doing the error part works good... a simple if conditional in a for loop I assume.

I am a software engineer by day, so I am not afraid of coding. Just have to learn the language.

www.thecheesegrinder.com
www.d20Pro.com
ogexam is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
You ought to be able to verify the books in the same way that you verify items with a max value of 49K - with a validation rule. All selected books define a corresponding "source" tag that can be verified.

Also for books, you can setup the various books and then save them as the default selection. Then anyone who creates a new character will have all the correct books selected by default. If they change the books, then the validation error will catch it.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I've started a new thread in the Pathfinder forum for the actual code (since it's Pathfinder specific):

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...9981#post39981
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote