Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
MNBlockHead

Old June 7th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I'm not familiar with Tabletop Simulator, but it looks like a platform to make games and play them. RealmWorks is not a virtual tabletop program, it is a campaign-info management platform. But I think your main point relates to the way content is or is not shared and sold. To begin with, the marketplace *will* eventually fulfill the role of users being able to create and share or sell content. It just isn't ready yet. We are all waiting for it to be released as it will allow us do many things we cannot at this time—including sharing content.

Regarding your suggestion that LWD loosen up on content protections, I don't expect that you'll see that for awhile. The viability of RW depends on their ability to sell cloud subscriptions and pre-created content. They first need to focus their development on creating an environment that will allow reasonable sharing and integration of content while giving content creators assurances that RW is not being used to facilitate pirating of their content.

Initially, that may require some policing, but I think the approach is more to let the technology handle most of this. LWD is a small company and can't hire people to ensure the copyright status of all content shared on the market. As the CM grows, at most they'll be able to comply with take-down notices and respond to community reporting of infringement.

Unfortunately, this means that we cannot print or export any content and have to wait on the CM. These feature will come, but they have to work out the technical aspects of the copyright protections. Once they have that foundation and once the CM goes live, then they'll be in a position to add export and print functionality.

I understand that this is frustrating. For many people, RW just isn't going to be an appropriate tool for them until they can print and export their data. It is costing them some business now. But telling them that they should, therefore, forget about their content contributors' IP rights is not a good business strategy.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote

Last edited by MNBlockHead; June 7th, 2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: corrected typos
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote