Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Card Vault Forums > Card Vault
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Chris_King

Old January 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Not sure quite how to describe this problem, but will do my best!
I have Card Vault installed on my main PC which is an Intel 2.8ghz Processor, over 1gb ram, 250mb drive space. Software was installed and running fine on this, although I have NOT loaded Card Vault on this PC for about a year.
Tonight when I came to load it up, I was given the "Card Vault has experienced a problem" error, with the usual default Send Error button or Don't Send.
To be honest I am totally lost as to why this error is occuring as all other programs installed on this PC run perfectly, Windows XP is stable, no crashes or lock ups, it shuts down and boots perfectly, it has virus software (AVG) and spyware software run periodically.
When I came to install the program on another of my PCs (using my second license) it installs and loads fine, the license installs fine and works perfectly.
I have uninstalled Card Vault from the problematic PC (call this Main for email support purposes), removed all directories, files, then reinstalled it to another directory and drive on the same PC, but the problem remains.
It wont even load in Demo, it just displays the main Card Vault loading screen, then bombs with the error.
Using Event Viewer, the error message shown is:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 17/01/2007
Time: 5:51:26 am
User: N/A
Faulting application cardvault.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module cardvault.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0009587a.

I am sure there is some DLL or file corrupt on the PC, but cant identify which or what is the problem.
Can any one help?

Chris
Chris_King is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chris_King

Old January 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Alas not had any replies to this problem, I am hoping that the main support at wolflair can point me in the right direction, even if directing me to as a DLL or module in the program install that my be corrupted or even a DLL that has been overwritten with a new version or older version that could cause this problem - maybe even a registry entry missing or some other software/driver I have installed which could cause the above error? Anyone help me as this is fairly urgent!
Chris_King is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Since CV was working fine for a full year, something has definitely changed on your computer. My best guess is that you have installed or activated a new security component (or an upgrade of an existing component) that is the culprit. I'm guessing this because our Army Builder product has had a small number of users report a similar occurrence, but we can't figure out the source.

Both CV and AB use standard built-in mechanisms within Windows to access the internet. Many security mechanisms replace those mechanisms with their own to provide more security. Unfortunatley, if those replacements don't behave exactly the same as the Windows components, problems arise. That's the current working theory on our end, but we've been unable to reproduce the problem and the few users with the problem have thus far been unable to give us sufficient clues to figure it out.

The solution that typically works is to disable the product's automatic checking for updates when it starts up. However, you have to first get into the product to change the configuration. There is a way to do this externally from the product, and it is accomplished by doing the following:

1. Go to the Start menu, then to Programs, then to the Card Vault folder.
2. Right-click on the shortcut that launches CV.
3. Select "Create Shortcut". This creates a second shortcut that will launch CV.
4. Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties.
5. In the field labeled "Target", you should see the full path to the CV executable. Go to this field and append the following at the end of it: " -disableupdates". Case *IS* important and there MUST be a space between the launch executable name and the new text you add.
6. Click on the OK button to save your change.
7. Use the new shortcut to launch CV.

Let me know if this does or doesn't solve the problem for you. In either case, please provide whatever details you can about what has changed on our your computer between the time CV worked and then started failing. Please also consider updates to security tools you have installed and/or the activation of new security features.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DQuartermane

Old August 14th, 2007, 09:38 PM
HEY ROB,
Forgive the caps. But I wanted to say that I had the exact same problem and this did the trick. Thanks for the info.

DQuartermane
DQuartermane is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
hometowngames

Old December 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Greetings,

I am having similar issues with my attempts to install CV 1.5a on a new computer. The -disableupdates solution did not work (is it supposed to be in quotes?). Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. CV is my store's collectible database and it's absence is sorely missed.

Thanks,
Michael Breen
Hometown Games
hometowngames is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
At 10:55 AM 12/9/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I am having similar issues with my attempts to install CV 1.5a on a new computer. The -disableupdates solution did not work (is it supposed to be in quotes?). Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. CV is my store's collectible database and it's absence is sorely missed.
Sorry for the delay on this. I've been derailed with personal stuff for the past week, so I'm just coming back online now and saw this post.

First of all, and just to make sure, you should NOT be putting quotes around the command line parameter. It should look something like the following:
*** C:CardVaultCardVault.exe -disableupdates

The only reason that CV should be crashing on launch is if some security program is mucking things up and CV is not dealing with the condition. To the best of my knowledge, disabling the updates at launch has always fixed the problem, so I'm not sure what is mucking stuff up. If you want to ensure that the problem is not related to the updates, you'll need to manually re-configure CV's auto-update settings by modifying the Registry. The "-disableupdates" should be doing this, but it's conceiveable that it's not working in your situation. If you want to try this, let me know and I'll provide you with instructions.

Other than that, I'm not coming up with any good ideas on what could be causing this problem. Obviously, CV was working fine for you on the old computer, so it's clearly something is funky with the configuration of the new computer. I'm going to need to find out more about what security programs you have running and the like in order to help you further. It might be best to take this to direct email for that purpose - please use helpdesk @ wolflair.com.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote