Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Matt Droz

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:22 AM
I'm trying to bootstrap magic item properties to custom magic armor and shields in editor. I add the bootstrap, the compile runs fine, but when I add the item to a character, I get the attached (or some similar code). I've tried bootstrapping both on the item itself and in the Gizmo, but get the same results either way.

For below, I'm trying to add the "Bashing" ability to a shield.

(I was able to add the code from the Bashing ability directly to the shield, but it didn't actually "up" the damage dice nor add the enhancement bonus to the attack/damage for the shield bash.)
Attached Images
File Type: gif HL error.gif (86.8 KB, 9 views)

Matt Droz Community material (Forgotten Realms & Non-SRD/Retro)
Matt Droz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
If you take a look at the custom items already made it looks like what you want to do is create a "Bashing Shield" with the script then bootstrap whatever shield type you are using in the gizmo section. I would try that method.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Any ideas on how to do that? I don't see any current shields that have bootstrapped abilities to use as an example. I also checked the Authoring files and it mentions using the Special Tag to assign to the bootstrapped ability, but I'm lost on where to assign it.

Matt Droz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sorry, my point wasn't that you should bootstrap the ability. Take a look at something like the Caster's Shield. In the Gizmo section, you can see that it is bootstrapping a light shield. What I'm suggesting is to mimic that. I would ignore the bashing ability. Borrow what you need from it (ie the script) and then bootstrap whatever type of shield you want. I can try to create an example for you if you are still not sure what I mean.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I already bootstrapped the heavy shield in the gizmo section.

The problem is, since it's the Bashing ability, this would send it over to the Weapons tab as well. When I put the code into the Eval Scripts on the shield itself, it shows up in the Weapons tab, but it's not upsizing the shield nor adding the enhancement bonus to it. Ideas?

Matt Droz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Yea, I'm seeing what you mean now. I was attempting to address the problem of getting errors as in your screen shot and overlooked the lack of damage upgrade. Working on it now, will update if I get anything.

damageup:

Code:
       ~increase the weapon's damage 2 steps
        perform hero.childfound[wShHvSteel].assign[Helper.DamageUp]
This will at least upgrade the damage on the shield weapon. Haven't figured out the enhancement bonus thing yet.

Last edited by Sendric; June 28th, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Yea, I'm seeing what you mean now. I was attempting to address the problem of getting errors as in your screen shot and overlooked the lack of damage upgrade. Working on it now, will update if I get anything.

damageup:

Code:
       ~increase the weapon's damage 2 steps
This will at least upgrade the damage on the shield weapon. Haven't figured out the enhancement bonus thing yet.
Very cool. Using that, I was able to get the enhancement bonus increase:
Code:
      ~the weapon stats have a +1 enhancement bonus
      #enhancementbonus[hero.childfound[wShHvSteel],1]

Matt Droz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 28th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Excellent. I found another way, but your way is much better.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Heh... I was running into a timing error regarding the Gizmo pick and the Eval script, and then the following occurred to me:

Instead of trying to modify the Heavy Shield Bash statistics, I took the Gizmo out, created it identically to a Heavy Shield's base stats and then created a new Magic Weapon (that can't be chosen) with identical stats to the Heavy Shield's weapon stats, but just bumped up the damage two sizes and added an enhancement bonus. Bootstrapped that to the Magic Armor and voilà!, all done without any Gizmos or Eval scripts.

Sometimes, it's the simpler yet longer path that yields the better rewards.

Matt Droz is offline   #9 Reply With Quote