Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

McGray

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:09 AM
Individual Reveal. 'nuff said
McGray is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I am not at all opposed to a non-interfering watermark, I just don't see how it could be done (and, apparently, on the first iteration, LWD isn't going to try). If I import a snippet that is copyrighted into one of my own personal topics, e.g., will the watermark be over/under below/above that snippet? Actually, I'm not even sure I'll be able to import a snippet from a copyrighted product. The whole thing is fuzzy to me. I just think (and could be wrong) that once it sinks in to everyone that they can't make a handout from material they legally purchase, they will be a lot less excited about both the marketplace and the print/export features. We'll see....

Personally, if I can't tailor my purchases to add my own material, it's hard to see how I'll buy anything. And if I can tailor my purchases but I then can't copy my realm to reuse it for a different adventuring group, I think I won't be as happy either.

I love the product, and I'm not saying this changes that. It's just that the marketplace and print/export become very low value features with the restrictions that seem certain to exist for a long time (and perhaps forever).
Bidmaron is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:58 PM
It's a coding question, but I suspect an exception for re-use within Realm Works by the account owner would be doable. No Export, no Print, no Publish, but yes Copy - probably at the Topic level. If anything restricted goes into a Topic, the Topic is flagged restricted (unremoveably).

In practice, this would mean that anything you create with an intention of sharing needs to go into a clean Topic, with links to the licensed material. When your Topic is shared, if I also own that licensed material new links will be generated (would make beneficial a way to pre-define links so Realm works doesn't wander off proposing alternatives), but if I didn't own that content I'd have your material but no links. A Topic identifying what additional content I need to buy to get those links would be the sort of wise inclusion that would make your material more popular.
pyremius is offline   #63 Reply With Quote