Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

Corone

Old October 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Probably me being slow here but...

So I checked I have the authoring package, and I do.
But where do I put the .xml files? (or find the right path for me?)
I tried an 'import files' and that only accepts .HL files.
Corone is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 1st, 2018, 07:29 AM
First, click that link to find the xml page. In that browser window, copy the address, and then you can close that window.

In Hero Lab, at the screen where you're choosing a new game system, click Find Updates at the bottom right.

Then, on the update form, click Add Source on the bottom left. Click New Source, and enter the address. Then, click OK, and leave all the forms, and exit HL and restart it, so that it can reset the search list. Now, click Find Updates again, and the file you want will be available in that list (when I tested Doctor Who, it was a few items from the bottom of the list). Download it there, and it will be added as a new game system for you to choose from. Also, if the author updates it, those updates will be flagged like any other updated HL content.
Mathias is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 1st, 2018, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
You need to purchase the authoring kit package for Hero Lab in order to use files for a new game system.

Other than that, all the files just need to be placed in a new directory (in the correct parent directory).
The authoring kit is included with one of the game packages. I think it's 4th Edition, but you can read the descriptions to be sure.

As far as adding it to the game, placing the files in a new directory is one way to do it, if you're downloading files directly. Another way to do it is to add a URL as a source. Then, the new directory gets created automatically, and you're notified of updates.
EightBitz is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 1st, 2018, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
The authoring kit is included with one of the game packages. I think it's 4th Edition, but you can read the descriptions to be sure.

As far as adding it to the game, placing the files in a new directory is one way to do it, if you're downloading files directly. Another way to do it is to add a URL as a source. Then, the new directory gets created automatically, and you're notified of updates.
The actual purchase is the Authoring Kit. Savage Worlds and 4th Edition are implemented games with source code that you will then have access to.
Duggan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old October 2nd, 2018, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
The actual purchase is the Authoring Kit. Savage Worlds and 4th Edition are implemented games with source code that you will then have access to.
No, no, no. I'm sure I'm right. I always am. Well, except for that incident in the lab with the bonobo and the mutant X gene, but even that ended up giving us a new flavor of ice cream, so I still count that as a win. (Long story. Also, top secret. Just forget I said anything.)
EightBitz is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jekessler

Old November 15th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
Sorry guys. Been off the board awhile. Updated source in my sig.
Hey, thanks for this - I am running games at a Doctor Who convention next weekend, and this will make creating characters a lot easier.

I've been updating the files to add in the descriptions of the various good/bad/special traits. That seems to be working fine.

Would you happen to know how I could include those descriptions on the character sheet? If I add new traits their names seem to get picked up automatically on the sheet, but the descriptions aren't. I assume I have to mod the Sheet_standard1.dat file - I tried adding the field[description].text to the current oAbilPick template, but it doesn't like it as a valid field, so I probably have to define that somewhere.

Thanks,

Jack
jekessler is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 19th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Let me take a look and get back to you.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Kairos

Old November 19th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Try:

Code:
field[descript].text

Kairos is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jekessler

Old November 19th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Thanks! I missed that the field name was shortened! That seems to have done the trick! Now I just need to work on the spacing - I've got the descriptions to wrap around - just need to play with the text now that I can access it!

Thanks so much.
jekessler is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Kairos

Old November 20th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekessler View Post
Thanks! I missed that the field name was shortened! That seems to have done the trick! Now I just need to work on the spacing - I've got the descriptions to wrap around - just need to play with the text now that I can access it!

Thanks so much.
Any time. Good luck.

Kairos is offline   #20 Reply With Quote