Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekessler View Post
When I go to "Import Stock Hero", I get a long list of books to choose from, but inside most of the heroes have 'Missing Source' listed next to them. Even the Core Heroes. And though they do import if selected, I get a popup error with a bunch (25 or so) of 'missing things' listed.

I don't have "Ultimate Powers" package, so is this the expected behavior?

I just updated my Hero Lab today for the first time in several months.
A lot of the stock heroes require something from Ultimate Power, or another sourcebook, but it looks like the core heroes were incorrectly flagged as requiring those sources.

I'll get this fixed for the next update - unless you're importing something from (for example) Book of Magic or Mecha & Manga, you can just ignore the errors that occur when you import a hero - it shouldn't affect their stats at all.

Thanks for the report.
Colen is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRook View Post
I see with the new 3.5 release most of the archetypes from the books have been covered. As has been demonstrated, however, I'm a big fan of all the other stuff : the supporting characters, the background creatures and creeps, and of course the NPC's. I'm planning to keep entering all of these ancillary characters for each book, much like I've already done with the Core and Agents books, but since size is becoming a consideration, I'm wondering if I should just keep them to myself rather than submitting them.

As a possible compromise, is there a way to break up the updates so that the fixes and improvements are separate from the prefab portfolios, thereby making them an optional download, much like the Hero Images update operates now?
We recently optimized the Hero Lab save/load code to take up about 40% less space than they do - as a result, the Mutants & Masterminds import file dropped in size by several megabytes. It's currently only a 13mb download, which is much smaller than some of our other games.

We'd love to add the less important characters from each book, so please keep submitting them - even if you're one of the few unlucky people who doesn't have high speed internet these days, a < 15mb download once a month shouldn't be a problem for you.

Thanks!
Colen is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
*facepalm* That reminds me... I have a few more files for you. I'll try to remember to send them in when I get home.

Edit: And apparently I'm confused. I already sent you those files. Incidentally, I was able to get the Mecha and Manga files I sent you up and running on my secondary install albeit on a 3.5 installation (I haven't gotten around to downloading the updates on that one). I get a series of errors, but I think they're all related to the new things in 3.6 because none of the names match what I have in my custom rules. FWIW, I installed it through the .hl file but I also sent you the .user file.

Last edited by Duggan; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Duggan is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Hello Kitty

Old April 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I just created Horus the Avenger in Herolab. He is exactly as printed in Silver Age book, except I noticed that the original write up only applied all power points except 1 towards his device (i.e. it was 1 short) and yet he had Improved Sunder and Weapon Break as a character.

His hammer gave him Quick Change and I thought, had the original character been designed correctly, it would have instead listed one of those feats above as a function of the hammer. I chose Weapon Break. So he can attempt strike another weapon if he successfully makes a melee attack. It made logical sense and is a good choice.

My point is, I know other characters (official ones) have similar instances of errata or strange missing bits of information or simply incorrect choices made on the characters.

If we are going to enter these as stock, making them exact might be ok, since the real use of doing so is we can individually go in and correct a mistake like I found on Horus the Avenger.

I was thinking of doing all the freedom city characters and freedom's most wanted but I know someone else has already done that probably. Can you please post you have or send them to Colen for approval. I don't mind then going back and creating a second set of corrected characters, ie I will clean up errata and mistakes like I mentioned.
Hello Kitty is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old April 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Ones I have submitted in the queue:
Silver Age Archetypes (Heroic and Villainous) and the one unique feat.
Warrior and Warlocks Archetypes (Heroic and Villainous) and Supporting Characters [No NPCs] and some additional Powers as Feats/Item Extras and Flaws.
Book of Magic Archetypes (Heroic and Villainous) [This one might already be in as of the last release. I'm not at my home computer]
Mecha and Manga Archetypes (Heroic and Villainous) and powers/feats/etc for Pets, Mecha, and Martial Artists. [There's a rougher draft you can find a link to a few pages back, but Colen had some compile problems]

I started on Foes of Freedom, but only got about two characters in before I got distracted. If you want to pick that up, feel free. I tend to work in fits and spurts.
Duggan is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Hello Kitty

Old April 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Duggan can you do the Freedom City characters and Freedom's Most Wanted?

How about anyone else?

Colen has said they can be done and added.
Hello Kitty is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I could do that... copious spare time and all that. Tell you what, I'll continue work on Foes of Freedom. If someone else feel inspired to do Freedom City (it's really easy, if mildly tedious, work for the most part, just entering in numbers), just post as much on the thread and I'll know not to bother. Got to justify that Data File Contributor tag somehow... :-p
Duggan is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Captain Canuck

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
My point is, I know other characters (official ones) have similar instances of errata or strange missing bits of information or simply incorrect choices made on the characters.

If we are going to enter these as stock, making them exact might be ok, since the real use of doing so is we can individually go in and correct a mistake like I found on Horus the Avenger.
I'm kinda curious about what the general philosophy is here for the stock characters myself.

I was entering the W&W PL 6 characters for my own use (since it was already being done by someone else but I needed them now) and they're all off a little. Some point totals in the summary are wrong, some skills are off due to the wrong stat mod being used in addition to pp totals being odd.

So will the final portfolios have all abilities in the book, final point costs be damned? Are they made as close as possible, but legal?
Captain Canuck is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
JDRook

Send a message via AIM to JDRook Send a message via Yahoo to JDRook Send a message via Skype™ to JDRook

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I'm kinda curious about what the general philosophy is here for the stock characters myself.

I was entering the W&W PL 6 characters for my own use (since it was already being done by someone else but I needed them now) and they're all off a little. Some point totals in the summary are wrong, some skills are off due to the wrong stat mod being used in addition to pp totals being odd.

So will the final portfolios have all abilities in the book, final point costs be damned? Are they made as close as possible, but legal?
I don't think there's a formal philosophy here. We're all volunteers, so it's all pretty ad hoc.

Speaking for myself, I generally try to keep as close to the original printed portfolio (or most recent official errata) as possible, including any errors. My thinking is the books are the source, flaws and all, and it's what the users will be familiar with. As a player or GM, I figure you can (and should) make your own adjustments where you see fit.

That said, I also make notes in the Complications field about what seems off. I'll often theorize whether it's a math error or typo and occasionally give suggestions to fix it. That way they can make their own choices as to what to change, or leave it as is and easily wipe out my notes. After all, one of the biggest advantages of HeroLab is the ability to quickly customize any porfolio.
JDRook is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
For me, it depends on how blatant the error is and whether it seems like there's an "obvious" solution. If I feel like I know what the value was supposed to be (generally based off of point totals and bonuses), I make the fix. Otherwise, I copy what's there.
Duggan is offline   #40 Reply With Quote