Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Minous

Old June 24th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Is there any reason for the current max length for titles?

I use a format like:
PZOPSS0608E - Pathfinder Society Scenario 6-08 - The Segang Expedition

And for some of the longer scenario names IE:
PZOPSS0612E - Pathfinder Society Scenario 6-12 - Scions of the Sky Key, Part 1 - On Sharrowsmith's Trail

The last part of the name gets truncated
Minous is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 29th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I suspect the maximum name length is to keep the title as something succinct, rather than veering into the realms of holding subtitles and such in the same small field.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 29th, 2016, 05:26 AM
And there has to be a limit set somewhere, even if it's just "virtual memory" (which would be ridiculous for a journal title; I'm just sayin').

For those, I can appreciate that you want to be specific, but "PFS 6-08 - Segang Expedition" is probably plenty.
Azhrei is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 29th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Most Use cases with regards to page titles that I have seen set it at 255 characters (old holdover from the mysql 255 byte limit) any chance we can get this bumped? having a standard title makes things easier.
Minous is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 30th, 2016, 12:02 AM
With a title as long as your example, you would only see the first 20-30 characters(?) when you view the journals page. Using a shorter title would let you find the relevant entry extremely quickly rather than having to click into each field and move the cursor to the end of the field.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
With a title as long as your example, you would only see the first 20-30 characters(?) when you view the journals page. Using a shorter title would let you find the relevant entry extremely quickly rather than having to click into each field and move the cursor to the end of the field.
The thing is I dont use the tab for review, I use the printed version, and the first 11 characters provide a unique ID which is useful for quick review. However when running a full report I need the full title.
Minous is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
The thing is I dont use the tab for review, I use the printed version, and the first 11 characters provide a unique ID which is useful for quick review. However when running a full report I need the full title.
And Farling didn't account for the potential use of tooltips/popups that can show the entire content, meaning that there is no extra mouse click and no extra keystroke(s) required to see the entire string.

However, if you're primarily concerned about the printed form, then why not place the full title into the text of the journal? AFAIK, you can't choose which journal entries are printed so they are all going to print. Which means all of the information is there...
Azhrei is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old June 30th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
And Farling didn't account for the potential use of tooltips/popups that can show the entire content, meaning that there is no extra mouse click and no extra keystroke(s) required to see the entire string.

However, if you're primarily concerned about the printed form, then why not place the full title into the text of the journal? AFAIK, you can't choose which journal entries are printed so they are all going to print. Which means all of the information is there...
I use the contents for notes/logs ect, including the senario title there just makes things messier.

I also have a tool that extracts the title info from the XML to build a complete listing of what has been played by each character, and because I use the suffix - CORE for my core campaign characters I know which scenarios I can and cannot play. Having a shortened title causes issues when I want to compare what I have played to the full list of available scenarios.
Minous is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Ah, you process the XML yourself! Not a "typical" user.
Azhrei is offline   #9 Reply With Quote