Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
the pet feat also seems to haxe vanished....its not even on the form for a brand new character to take...not to mention my existing chacter who had a dog is now supossedly in violation.
Ah, that one's my fault in a manner of speaking. Pet is part of Mecha and Manga. When I inputted the data for that supplement, I forgot to check Mecha and Manga as the source. And, more recently, I told Colen that it was misclassified. Just buy your dog as a Minion and it's effectively the same. Or add Mecha and Manga among the supplements that he uses.
Duggan is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks Duggan! : My Dog is ALIVE, ALLLLLLIIIIVE! muhaha(Dr frankenstein voice LOL) Seems kinda silly to have to add an entire supplement for one feat....but i doubt he'll display right on sheet as a minion. (SIGHS) you know DUGGAN this is one mis classifacation i could've lived with haha. aw well im glad ur vigilant and on top of things though. keep it up id tip ya if i could! lol well best i can do is buy HL for all my friends who RP (Counts them on one hand with a few fingers left over lol)

Hey Dug i gotta a request is there any way ya can take the pet feat and offer that under houserules section? thus eliminating the need to take the mecha and manga supplemet? if thatd be too hard or mess things up dont worry bout it but itd be nice.

Last edited by atlarman; July 16th, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added last question
atlarman is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
^_^ I'm not a Wolf Lair employee... I'm just a volunteer. But there might be virtue in splitting out the Mecha, the Pet, and the Martial Arts sections since the book more or less assumes that specific campaigns will only be using one or the other of those. As it is, checking No Mecha should probably disable some of the feats/drawbacks/etc for Mecha.

As for Pet, it really is just the Minion feat under a different name. Ideally, a Pet would have special qualities like which Tricks, Purposes, and Orders they've learned and restricting the pet-specific feats and drawbacks to the pets themselves, but that was beyond my understanding of the editor (and might actually require designing a new tabs like was done with Mecha).

@Colen:
^_^ If it is possible to do things like differentiating out pets just using the Editor and/or manipulating XML, I'd be glad to take a stab at it. Could you tell me whether it's feasible?
Duggan is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Just minor suggestion, since Mecha & Manga stuff was already divided into sections and some feats/drawbacks/etc. only works in conjuction with certain elements, maybe it will be a good idea to divide them into various sections like with Mastermind Manual.

A possible division, based on the chapters:
  • General: includes Skills, General purpose feats and the new powers
  • Mecha: includes all the mecha skill/feats and enhables the mecha sheet
  • Pets: feats and possibly a new sheet to handle the pet rules
  • Martial Arts: Chi power and Martial arts feats
Woodclaw is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Also i noticed that as hero lab works now no warning is displayed when save DCs from powers etc exceed the pl limit (I.E. save DC max = 20 for PL 10) i was wondering if this was by design
This behavior is not by design. I just checked one of the stock heroes and he's reporting a problem if I take his attack bonus / save DC over the PL limit, just like he should.

If you have a saved hero that exhibits this problem, can you please email it to me at colen@wolflair.com ? That way I can try and track down the issue that's causing it.

Quote:
ONE MINOR thing ID LOVE TO SEE= some images of the mayjor animal types for heroes who may have "pets"
Are there images in any of the M&M rulebooks for these? If so, let me know where and I'll bug GR about getting them. If not, I'm afraid you're on the hook for finding your own images.
Colen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
Well Shadowchaser, you're echoing my ealier comment on that. So that makes two of us voting for "off" by default. Hmm, I wonder how close that makes us to being the majority opinion?

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer.
Seems like the majority opinion is "off by default" so far. Assuming that I can fix the bug where it doesn't seem to be counting certain things in your attack bonus / saving throws, do you guys think it's useful for newbies to have on? Or just more annoying than useful?
Colen is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Hey Dug i gotta a request is there any way ya can take the pet feat and offer that under houserules section? thus eliminating the need to take the mecha and manga supplemet? if thatd be too hard or mess things up dont worry bout it but itd be nice.
(plus various comments about splitting mecha & manga up into sections)

I'm not crazy about splitting the books up further than they already are. If all you want is the Mecha stuff from Mecha & Manga, you can just ignore the other feats / powers / and so on; I'd rather keep it simple for the newbies, so they can turn mecha & manga on and off with a single click, than requiring multiple clicks for each book. "What do you mean, I have to click 5 times to turn on all the Mecha & Manga stuff?"

For consistency, we'd also have to split each other book into a bunch of settings, too. Maybe you want the vehicles from Agents of Freedom, but not the new feats? It's a slippery slope that just ends up with the settings list looking bad, instead of nice and clean.

BTW, thanks for the files, Duggan - I'll take a look at these and try and figure out the problem.
Colen is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
I'm not crazy about splitting the books up further than they already are. If all you want is the Mecha stuff from Mecha & Manga, you can just ignore the other feats / powers / and so on; I'd rather keep it simple for the newbies, so they can turn mecha & manga on and off with a single click, than requiring multiple clicks for each book. "What do you mean, I have to click 5 times to turn on all the Mecha & Manga stuff?"

BTW, thanks for the files, Duggan - I'll take a look at these and try and figure out the problem.
Well, you can always set it up with an upper-level checkbox that turns them all on or all off, but whatever works for you. I still wish I'd figured out a better way to handle Pet/Menagerie/etc. As it is now, there's no real purpose in having those feats since you can do the exact same thing with Minion, more easily so in some cases.

And no problem on the sending files. I'm kind of with the "by default off" myself, simply because there are enough exceptions, and the check is really something you'd be doing on a finished hero. If I might make a suggestion, you already have the attack and damage bonuses on Special tab. If you parse those (and add in ranks of Sneak Attack and Favored Opponent), you've got a simple way of checking that at least one attack meets caps (Don't forget to discount the accidental attack bonus on non-targetted areas). Oh, and I found that your current check doesn't discount temporary conditions. Being flat-footed made one of my characters flag as being under caps on defense/toughness.

Some things that haven't been fixed yet:
* Aura adding to Unarmed damage on the Special tab
* Sneak Attack and Favored Opponent counting toward caps (or at least I don't think this is applying at the moment)
* Area progression feats don't change the text on the Areas (as noted in a prior post, Nullifying Field does do this, so it seems a bit odd that the other Areas extras don't)
* I need to do more tests on this at home, but the Reset button on In-Play listed "2 conditions" for one of my characters, I think because he had Bruised and Injured. Clicking the Reset button did not reset those.
Duggan is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old July 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
@ duggan: In regaurds to doing a pet as a minion....IDK if theres any affect as far as hero lab is concerned but mechanacally arent their restrictions placed on minions that would not be true of the pet option? as for the items such as tricks and purposes and such i was able to type out the needed info in the pets "background block" yes its slighty more typing than a tab. but it works well in the mean time and intergrates nicely on the sheet.
My only real issue w/ "pet"was that prior to being properly tagged as mecha and manga.... it was an option and of course correcting the problem(as it should be) took my pet back and i didnt much care for needing to take the entire manga book to gain the one feat back. I can certaianly see Colen's point as far as a "slipperry slope".- especialy if a person was wanting to piece out every suplement that way- HOWEVER i was niether proposing that nor removing the pet feat from the manga section as a whole BUT essentially duplicating pet under the house rules or feat option section...w/o having that tied to manga. Id even be open to duggans suggested tiered selection of manga simlial to masterminds manual. I wouldnt advise this for every supplement of course. just the ones who seem to offer more "modular" options as manga does and Masterminds Manual before it.
ANYHOO its only a thought. i certainly dont want to make more work for the good folks @ LWD. theyve got their hands full and an already great product! As Always... thanks 4 the help!

Last edited by atlarman; July 16th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.
atlarman is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM
To colen-
As for having a saved hero that exhibits the power DC higher than 20...I no longer have them. i was so annoyed at finding what the rule actually was that i went back and basically lowered my power ranks(somtimes ridiculously low) until DC in the powers description read no higher than 20...(PL 10 character). I say ridiculusly low cause the one example that comes right to mind is ending up w/ a character having his adamintine claws power(strike w/ penetrating,mighty - along w/appropreate ranks of str to stike bonus to count his str bonus on dmg- as well as the leathal drawback(or flaw?) at 2 ranks just to get dc 20(down from rank 7 before w/ all the same modifiers which displayed a DC OF 27..... WHILE hl did not flag this as a violation clearly on pg 16 or 17 of the pocket players guide 27 was clearly above the dc 20 a +10(max) dc modifer wouldve given.

Last edited by atlarman; July 16th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
atlarman is offline   #30 Reply With Quote