Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Blacklic

Old May 5th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I was just wondering is the LARP version of this a planned creation since many of the rules are different but only slightly?
Blacklic is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
At 06:38 AM 5/5/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering is the LARP version of this a planned creation since many of the rules are different but only slightly?
That's ultimately going to be up to two factors: (1) whether White Wolf wants us to do it and (2) whether there is a large enough prospective market to justify the investment of doing the work. I have no idea what the answers are to either of these. I'll have to ask WW about this.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I'm using HL for LARP already. The only thing I did was tell my players that we're using the book rules for vigor and speed instead of the Live Action rules. But even if you're using the LARP rules 100%, the game's almost identical. Just spend a few hundred hours (lol) adding all your custom stuff and you're good really.

You could manually delete all the "Rolls" from each sheet to make your life easier and confuse your players less if you did that. Only thing is that the rolls show the same thing in LARP that they do in TT, it's the same "roll" just a different method to figuring it out.

Off Topic (slightly): Did you know that the 10/5 rule for LARP is WAY off statistically from rolling the dice? an 8/3 or even an 8/2 is MUCH closer to what you'd see in TT for a LARP system. Heck, a 10/2 is almost as good as dice.
Pollution is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
At 08:49 AM 4/18/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
You could manually delete all the "Rolls" from each sheet to make your life easier and confuse your players less if you did that. Only thing is that the rolls show the same thing in LARP that they do in TT, it's the same "roll" just a different method to figuring it out.
It's already on the todo list to turn off the display of all the Rolls en masse via the Configure Character form.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Which is awesome!
Pollution is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old April 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
And honestly, the sheets would look identical except for "rolls" because "rolls" becomes "pools" the character sheets in theory are instantly transferable between TT and LARP good ol' ww did it on purpose.
krathen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Could you provide me with a checklist of the adjustments that should ideally be made to the WoD/VtR data files to fully support standard Camarilla LARP groups?

If the list isn't horribly long and won't require significant re-working of the internals, I'll do my best to get proper LARP support integrated. STs could then just toggle a setting on the Configure Character form and be able to easily switch HL over to "LARP mode".
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
LARP support would entice members of the Camarilla to use Hero Lab. Right now a lot a members are using Excel spreadsheets to keep track of their characters. Hero Lab already creates an XP log which is one of the major headaches of Cam record keeping. And if I remember right, you can add notes to the XP log which would enable Cmarilla users to note approval numbers, etc.

Yes, I'm a Cammie. Don't look at me funny like that. There's nothing wrong with it.
FifthWanderer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
At 08:13 AM 4/26/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
LARP support would entice members of the Camarilla to use Hero Lab. Right now a lot a members are using Excel spreadsheets to keep track of their characters. Hero Lab already creates an XP log which is one of the major headaches of Cam record keeping. And if I remember right, you can add notes to the XP log which would enable Cmarilla users to note approval numbers, etc.
What are the things that HL needs to do differently, or that need to be added, in order to properly support use by the Camarilla?
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 28th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Ok, let's see, a checklist of adjustments for Cam games...

Well, you'd have to update the thing every month once all the data files are up to date and adjusted for the Addendums they put up. They have ALOT of addendums. They change the rules here and there to fit their game, about...20 pages of pdf if I remember right.

You'd obviously need to change the way speed is calculated and whatnot, just due to LARP changes.

You'd need to have code in there for stacking modifiers most likely (i.e. shape of beast and celerity both 2x run speed, but in the Cam they don't stack to make 4x, they make 3x. Stacking modifiers don't double, they add after the first).

You'd need to have code in there to limit the max bonuses you can get from equipment+other mods. They have a very confusing and convoluted equation for that. I don't envy you on that one.

You'd need to have approval number fields on the sheet.

You'll HAVE to make room for extra stuff on the character sheet. You're average cammie has around....200-400 xp on their characters due to their "MC" level. Each membership class level (MC) gives extra xp for chargen + an extra amount per 3 levels. It's ALOT of xp at MC 6 which I personally got in a year. My character at last checkin was 462 xp. I put him in Hero Lab, and it blew a fuse with validation report. Too many disciplines, too many spec's (went over the bottom of the page for print out).

You'd need to input all their custom stuff (devotions, merits, ect..) into the DB.

Many other changes, too many to REALLY list out. My advice would be to make it LARP worthy, then make a small mod for approval numbers (already there with player notes, so no REAL need) then have an authoring kit available for them to change formulas and whatnot. They'll share their custom file once it's done FAST. It'll hit the web and every person with HL will have it by the next day or the next week at the latest. They're CRAZY good at distribution.
Pollution is offline   #10 Reply With Quote