Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Monteparnas

Old February 6th, 2019, 04:00 PM
In Oriental Adventures and Rokugan Campaing Setting:

Some material, specially Class Abilities, refer to Katana, while others, mainly Requirements, refer to Bastard Sword.

They should be interchangeable, but for some reason they are not, so the HL do not recognize, lets say, a Crane Variant Samurai that took Weapon Focus (Katana) as having the Weapon Focus Feat requirement for the Iaijutsu Master PrC, both of the same source.
Monteparnas is offline   #821 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old February 6th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Everything from OA and Rokugan, when it says "katana" is programmed as bastard sword. If your weapon focus pick is a katana, it won't register as correct.

Every source says they are essentially the same thing so I just kept it simple
Illyahr is offline   #822 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteparnas View Post
Sorry for the confusion, Sendric, I totally forgot I didn't said the Class. But is exactly what Illyahr says.

The only difference from a normal caster to the Binder in this regard is that the Binder won't use Vestige Level (SL) to define DC, instead it uses 1/2 EBL. Somehow the HL is halving EBL for everything instead of just DCs.
I'm sorry, but I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is here. Can you provide a specific example of something whose DC is incorrect?
Sendric is offline   #823 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Quote:
In Oriental Adventures and Rokugan Campaing Setting:

Some material, specially Class Abilities, refer to Katana, while others, mainly Requirements, refer to Bastard Sword.

They should be interchangeable, but for some reason they are not, so the HL do not recognize, lets say, a Crane Variant Samurai that took Weapon Focus (Katana) as having the Weapon Focus Feat requirement for the Iaijutsu Master PrC, both of the same source.
I can add to the pre-req so that Weapon Focus (Katana) counts as Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), however I think this will need to be done for every instance individually so you'll have to let me know if I've missed anything.

Last edited by Sendric; February 7th, 2019 at 05:29 AM.
Sendric is offline   #824 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas

Old February 7th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
Everything from OA and Rokugan, when it says "katana" is programmed as bastard sword. If your weapon focus pick is a katana, it won't register as correct.

Every source says they are essentially the same thing so I just kept it simple
Actually there is at least one exception, and is what is causing me trouble: the Crane Samurai's list of Feats includes a Weapon Focus (Katana) that really is Katana, so it isn't recognized by anything else.

I thought at first that the problem was more serious, but that means it is actually more of a correction to be done to the Variant Samurai.

To me the Katana should be excluded from the HL weapon's list altogether, though I'm not even sure if it is a community content or an original content, so much time have passed without me disabling community content in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm still not entirely sure what the problem is here. Can you provide a specific example of something whose DC is incorrect?
Ok, let me try from the beginning.

Binder uses EBL most as Casters use ECL. So the sum of Binder levels plus bonus to EBL from Binder PrCs gives your EBL.

The distinction is that they won't use Vestige Level, their equivalent of Spell Level, more or less, to define DCs. Instead, they use 10 + Cha Mod + 1/2 EBL. Also, they make a Binding Check with 1d20 + Cha Mod + EBL.

At the Special tab on HL, there is an entry called Binding that should inform three things: EBL, Binding Check and DC. For a character with Binder 10 and Cha 14, it should read like EBL = 10, Binding Check 1d20 + 12, DC 17.

Currently, though, the system is giving for the same character something like EBL = 5, Binding Check 1d20 + 7, DC 17. For DC it is actually right, but the other numbers are halving EBL when they shouldn't.

Quote:
I can add to the pre-req so that Weapon Focus (Katana) counts as Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword), however I think this will need to be done for every instance individually so you'll have to let me know if I've missed anything.
Just correcting the Samurai Variant, so the feats with weapon choices using Katana change to Bastard Sword would probably be a better solution, since it seems to be the real problem. Then check if something else is using Katana when it should be using Bastard Sword.

On another regard, is there any way of implementing epic items in the Epic Level Handbook Source?
Monteparnas is offline   #825 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old February 7th, 2019, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Actually there is at least one exception, and is what is causing me trouble: the Crane Samurai's list of Feats includes a Weapon Focus (Katana) that really is Katana, so it isn't recognized by anything else.

I thought at first that the problem was more serious, but that means it is actually more of a correction to be done to the Variant Samurai.
This. In OA, one of the custom abilities is "Weapon Focus (katana). I dont think I actually programmed it for a pick, just had it bootstrap weapon focus. For names and text, I called them katana but all my coding was for bastard swords. If it's an issue, you can just change its name and text.

EDIT: Yep, is a text issue, not a coding issue. I'm doing adjustments to OA and Rokugan in preparation for Creatures of Rokugan so I'll handle this one and send you the clarified file.

Monteparnas, just ignore where it says katana for now. You should just be able to pick "sword, bastard" on the weapon focus feat that shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteparnas
To me the Katana should be excluded from the HL weapon's list altogether, though I'm not even sure if it is a community content or an original content, so much time have passed without me disabling community content in any way.
Agreed. It's not a core item, that would be PHB, DMG, MM1, and EPH. I think "katana" is listed on it's own in the A&EG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteparnas
The distinction is that they won't use Vestige Level, their equivalent of Spell Level, more or less, to define DCs. Instead, they use 10 + Cha Mod + 1/2 EBL. Also, they make a Binding Check with 1d20 + Cha Mod + EBL.

At the Special tab on HL, there is an entry called Binding that should inform three things: EBL, Binding Check and DC. For a character with Binder 10 and Cha 14, it should read like EBL = 10, Binding Check 1d20 + 12, DC 17.

Currently, though, the system is giving for the same character something like EBL = 5, Binding Check 1d20 + 7, DC 17. For DC it is actually right, but the other numbers are halving EBL when they shouldn't.
I think this is just a mistype in the xSumm field for the xBinding special in ToM. The lines that set up the xSumm are out of order, I think. Or at least need to be adjusted so they read correctly.

EDIT: Mine reads properly so I must have caught it in my file and forgot to report it. Oops :P

Last edited by Illyahr; February 7th, 2019 at 04:26 PM.
Illyahr is offline   #826 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Next issue is old, but I forgot to tell it earlier. The Chahar-Aina item isn't working, at least not with Chain Shirt. I can bypass this with Adjustments to AC for now.
Monteparnas is offline   #827 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Another one before I go to work: the feat Craft Tsangusuri have Crane Clan as requisite, but is coded with Unicorn Clan as requisite.

Not that it actually makes a huge difference, it is mostly a rendition of Craft Talisman with more setting lore in the description and the clan requisite, and Craft Talisman is essentially Rokugan-themed Brew Potion.
Monteparnas is offline   #828 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyahr View Post
EDIT: Yep, is a text issue, not a coding issue. I'm doing adjustments to OA and Rokugan in preparation for Creatures of Rokugan so I'll handle this one and send you the clarified file.
That's fine, but I'm about to drop a new release. I was just waiting to get this situation sorted out. You might want to wait to get the new update before making too many changes.

So, it looks like the only thing to watch out for is a couple of minor changes to the Rokugan Campaign Setting file, although I did make some changes to the Magic of Rokugan file during integration so you'll want to pick that up as well.

Last edited by Sendric; February 8th, 2019 at 03:58 AM.
Sendric is offline   #829 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas

Old February 8th, 2019, 05:54 PM
The Memento Magicas of the source Races of the Dragon are misspelled. They are being spelled as mOmento Magica and the numbers are 1st to 9st.

I already installed the new release, by the way.
Monteparnas is offline   #830 Reply With Quote